hook sharpener

associatedmatt

Reaction score
going to look at a club tommorow and have some nice tench and carp in there lakes along with rivers , i dont tie my carp rigs i buy them but at £3 each are a tad much to through away after a day session so i thought i may sharpen the hook to get a bit more life out of a rig .

which type best to go for and do you sharpen both sides as well as the point edge ?

terry m

Reaction score
Find a friendly angler with some patience and get him/her to show you how to tie the type of rig you use.

It is not difficult I promise.

Benefits
1. Satsfaction
2. Confidence that the rig has been tied and checked 100%
3. Cheaper by some way. (£3 per rig, ouch!)
4. Ability to modify (lengthen shorten rig/hair, specific hook choice etc, to your own exact requirements. (Priceless).

With the money you save you can buy a hook sharpening kit.

;)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I can tie bottom bait rigs no problem but I can't never get them the same length and find easier tying them at home at the table , but I do like using the Korda df rigs for pop and bottom baits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevin1

Reaction score
Sounds stupid but if you're struggling to get them the same size use a ruler. If you're wanting a 12" rig then cut the hook length material about 16"long, that way you've get an extra 4" leeway when you tie the knot.

Never seems to fail me, you'll be tying them with your eyes shut in no time.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I do use a ruler though , what length would you tie an average bottom rig ? And is it best to have the bait close to the hook or a gap of around 1/4" ?

I normally use 14 mm pellets or boilies and tipped with corn if want to make it more boyant

chevin1

Reaction score
I do use a ruler though , what length would you tie an average bottom rig ? And is it best to have the bait close to the hook or a gap of around 1/4" ?

I normally use 14 mm pellets or boilies and tipped with corn if want to make it more boyant

I guess it would depend on a variety of things, venue being one of them. When talking about a bottom bait rig do you mean like a simple leger rig with bait being on bottom? If so, you can't go wrong with 6-8". Obviously if you want to make a bolt rig then shorten the hook length to around 3-5". Don't be afraid to go up to 10-12" if using a running rig. Just try different lengths and find one that works for you.

Regarding the hair rig, I'd say 1/4" away would be fine in all honesty. We could sit here all day and speak nonsense about wary fish only taking baits that are on a 2 mile hair rig but what good will that do, get out there and fish.

By no means am I a Carp angler so maybe one will come along and give you a more precise answer but I believe the best way to go about is trial and error. Just think of the satisfaction of landing a carp by do something different using your intuition. :D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks , it's just knowing a starting point as will be tying at home and having wallet full of a few rigs , I will be using a lead clip in weedy lakes but if not will be a running rig .

I have noticed there is more baits that are 15 and 20 mm ratter than 10mm is there a reason ? Bigger carp for boilies bigger mouths etc I guess

chevin1

Reaction score
Thanks , it's just knowing a starting point as will be tying at home and having wallet full of a few rigs , I will be using a lead clip in weedy lakes but if not will be a running rig .

I have noticed there is more baits that are 15 and 20 mm ratter than 10mm is there a reason ? Bigger carp for boilies bigger mouths etc I guess

Yeah, tie them at around 8-9" then. Like I said earlier, cut off about 11" then once you've tied a knot and cut the tagends your size should be fine. If you really want you could measure up some pre tied rigs from the shop and make yours the same length.

Yeah most likely. I guess the logic behind it is bigger the bait, bigger the fish. Also, It could possibly stop smaller nuisance fish taking the boilie, sort of how rubber maggots are used for Carp and Barbel.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
started to tie a few bottom bait ( bait on lake bed ) rigs on size 8 set for a 16mm boilie but can always adjust how close to hook with the extended pellet stops , prefer those to the boile stops . Run out of size 8 only had 6 in the pack :eek:mg:

off to get more 8's and 6's on monday , not sure best rig for pop up or wafters ?