Is fishing for tilapia considered a sport?

gustavowoltmann

Reaction score
Hi my name is Gustavo Woltmann and I am an assistant in a small and private publishers company for over a decade now. Just want to ask if fishing for tilapia considered a sport? Anyone here who tried it already?

john step

Reaction score
I had to look that name of fish up. No more no less than any other fish I would guess at.
What is behind the question?

Andy M

Reaction score
I ate a good many tilapia when living on the shores of Lake Malawi- chambo and chips - delicious! I used to dabble in a bit of handling but never caught a tilapia probably because they are largely vegetarian living on phytoplankton as far as I am aware. A bit of silkweed might do the trick if you can find it... Having said that they are intensively farmed and I imagine are fed pellets - so might take bigger bait. Where are you fishing?

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Tilapia are regularly fished for with rod and line here in Bangladesh. Tilapia nilotica will grow to well over a couple of kilos and for their size will put up quite some fight on light float fishing gear. Bait is mostly worms or bread paste. They can also be caught on a sunken fly near the bottom.

All the best

Lakhyaman