Weigh Scales

mikench

Reaction score
I bought a cheap set on the net which have served my purposes to date in that I am really only interested in an approximate weight i.e. 4lb or 6 lb or over 10 or 20( I wish). They are accurate to within 8oz or so and I like to think I underestimate!;)

Having caught several roach now around the 1lb mark I would like to be accurate so that I know, hand on heart that a fish was 14oz or 18 oz.

Can anyone recommend a decent and inexpensive set for weights to say 5lb or so for the smaller fish I hope to catch. I like the look of the Korum digital but would appreciate views.

seth49

Reaction score
Ive Had the korum digital scales for a few years now, never had a problem with them, when ever I've checked them against known weights they have always been correct.

There nice and small too, mine are always in my waistcoat pocket, ready to use.

peterjg

Reaction score
If you can find a set of Avon dial scales, the ones which weigh up to 8lbs they are the ones to go for. They weigh in half ounces. However; they are much sought after and can be expensive.

chevin1

Reaction score
I've just ordered some Stillwater 100lb digital scales for a tenner of Chapman's Angling. Good price, whether they're accurate or not I don't know but I'll let you know if you'd like. They should be here tommorow.

mikench

Reaction score
Please do! I want scales that will measure in 1 oz increments or less and up to 4 or 5 lb. My other scales will do for bigger and heavier fish and are unlikely to see a great deal of wear and tear:rolleyes:

B

binka

Process of elimination.

It was either the scales or I had deducted too much for the net, I like the scales excuse as it doesn't apportion any blame on myself :D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Digi scales are ok if you have a good battery, as soon as the battery starts to run low the weights go all over the place.

Weights and measures have told me that digi a great if run by electric, like those in the shops. They also said that the Avon scales are the best they had seen.

I get mine calibrated every couple of years to make sure they still why the same, My Avons and my Rueben Heatons, both weigh 1 oz divisions.

I do like digi, but would never trust them.

How many FM members have had their scales checked by weights and measures over the years ??

john step

Reaction score
I think I have mentioned this on here before regarding those one pound roach.

It will be good for those who regularly estimate their one pound roach to actually weigh them.

Might be a tad disappointed though.:wh

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
That may well be me John hence my desire for some accurate scales for small fish.

As someone once said " exaggeration is a blood relation to falsehood and nearly as blâmable":rolleyes:

rich66

Reaction score
I have a Berkeley digi scale seems reasonably accurate I've used it for weighing stuff for postage, the cats and the occasional decent fish I've caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rich4930

Reaction score
How many FM members have had their scales checked by weights and measures over the years ??

Why on earth would you do that?!?

Sure, it's nice to know what a fish weighs but personally I don't see much need to know any more accurately than within an ounce or two. I'm not in competition with anyone so what do I care.

But that's just me. Each to their own. :)

For the record, I use the bog standard digital scales you get everywhere for a few quid - the curvy shaped things with buttons looking like a smiley face. They're compact, go to 40kg in 10g steps (< 1/2 oz) and have never given me an unrealistic reading yet.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had a pair of Korums...fine for a few months then the on/off button went. Bin.

Replaced with a pair of Newsome digitals after reading quite a few recommendations on various sites. Very compact, in tests very accurate and no bigger than a packet of Swan Vesta. I honestly cant fault them.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I have had Salter Digitals for years, weighing in half ounce and quarter ounce, both spot on, I have changed the batteries every year (9v) and had them check by weights and measures loads of times.

Bob

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
My scales always seem to weigh much less than they should:D
I'll have to have them checked.;) one day.:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have had Salter Digitals for years, weighing in half ounce and quarter ounce, both spot on, I have changed the batteries every year (9v) and had them check by weights and measures loads of times.

Bob

Right thing to do Bob, it's the battery that lets down many anglers because they don't change them.

Keith M

Reaction score
If you can find a set of Avon dial scales, the ones which weigh up to 8lbs they are the ones to go for. They weigh in half ounces. However; they are much sought after and can be expensive.

When I heard that the Avons dial scales were no longer being made I went straight onto eBay and bought my self another set of them to replace my old ones which had recently given up the ghost after 35 years of good service.

At the same time the wife bought me a set of Fox digitals (I'm not keen on digitals because they rely on you having to have decent batteries Lol) plus I tried the Reuben's dial scales but had trouble even zeroing them.

The Avon scales may be slightly larger than the Reuben's but they still fit nicely into the end pockets on my tackle bags and at least I know they are accurate plus I don't need to faff about with low batteries for many years :)

Keith

Last edited: