Split shot No.2

mikench

Reaction score
I have no idea and cannot say i have ever missed them!:)

Shotting a float is not one of my strong suits!:(

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The full range of split shot is truly extraordinary; somewhere in an old 1930s magazine I have a list of the full range which includes no. 2, B, BBB, A, AA, AAA, AAAA, LG, SG and many others. From a practical fishing point of view the common sizes have proved adequate for our use so the usual range is SSG, AAA, BB, No. 1, No. 4, No. 6, No. 8, plus the micro shots. I have seen other sizes for sale as well including double and triple sized SSG.

rayner

Reaction score
Don't take this as gospel.
Lead shot sizes are /were used for ammunition. It was first used as lead balls for guns, then later also shot gun cartridges.
The shot sizes were determined on weight.
Later splits were added for fishing.
That's exactly how it was explained to me in the 1950s. that doesn't make it fact but it's as I was told.
Do I think it true yes mainly because an alternative reason for shot sizes as never come up.

trotter2

Reaction score
Think that's correct Rayner,at least that's the way I understood it.

nhs service

Reaction score
I read that somewhere, so it's Swan, Something, Goose. Sorry having trouble remembering what the other S stands for.

rich66

Reaction score
SSG in shotgun ammunition stands for Special Small Game according to google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This really shouldn't be an issue but No.2s are a crucial part of life.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Original source British Field Sports Society's Diary, 1930s. Shooting shot sizes.

per ounce
LG 6
MG 7
SG 8
SSG 15
SSSG 20
SSSSG 25
AAAA 30
AAA 35
AA 40
A 50
BBB 60
BB 70
B 80
1 100
2 120
3 140
4 170
4 1/2 200
5 220
5 1/2 240
6 270
6 1/2 300
7 340
8 450

LG means large goose, MG = medium goose etc.
sizes like 2SSG and AB are angling sizes made up since the introduction of non toxic shot. AB is halfway between a BB and AAA and more than twice the size of a no. 2.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Has the size of regular angling shot been standardised at slightly different weights to the original, Mark? I've always understood that 1SSG=2AAA, 1AAA=2BB, 1BB=2No4, 1No4=2No6, 1No6=2No8, and so on down to micro-sizes; and in practice, this appears to be so. This chart would seem to bear that out: Fishing Split Shot - Guide to the weights of split shot

The weights I gave are the original shooting standards. Some of the old lead shot had variations in that what we called AAA may have really been AA etc. but the big change came from the change to tin for shot as tin is less dense than lead you need a shot that actually weighs MORE than the lead equivalent to have the same effect on a float due to Archimedes principles so if a float took 4 lead BB at 0.4gm per shot 4 BB in tin would need to weigh more like 1.8gm total to have the same effect which is what we find. In setting the new weights the manufacturers redefined the weights to get the more exact multiples.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not a shooter but I remember seeing an ancient 2 bore goose gun at a Game Fair once. Like an anti aircraft gun it was. You fired it laying flat on your back with the butt on the ground. I dread to think what the load was....looked like it would bring down a Heinkel !

seth49

Reaction score
A 2 bore would fire a lead ball weighing 8oz, that's what the two means, i.e. That there would be two lead balls to a pound weight, a four bore would fire a ball of 4 ozs i.e. Four to a pound, and so on.

laguna

Reaction score
Don't take this as gospel.
Lead shot sizes are /were used for ammunition. It was first used as lead balls for guns, then later also shot gun cartridges.
The shot sizes were determined on weight.
Later splits were added for fishing.
That's exactly how it was explained to me in the 1950s. that doesn't make it fact but it's as I was told.
Do I think it true yes mainly because an alternative reason for shot sizes as never come up.
You are correct. Sometimes known as sinkers but shot as in 'gun shot' size is how it was originally devised - produced from a shot tower and later by other means.

seth49

Reaction score
That 2 bore was probably what is known as a punt gun, they were mounted on a small boat, and loaded with shot, then you rowed within range of a large flock of ducks, and let fly,they could get ninety plus ducks with one shot, they were used commercially to get ducks for sale.

There's plenty of information on Google about them, there banned now.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A 2 bore would fire a lead ball weighing 8oz, that's what the two means, i.e. That there would be two lead balls to a pound weight, a four bore would fire a ball of 4 ozs i.e. Four to a pound, and so on.

Crikey ! I can't imagine there would be much of the goose left after getting hit by that !

---------- Post added at 06:21 ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 ----------

That 2 bore was probably what is known as a punt gun, they were mounted on a small boat, and loaded with shot, then you rowed within range of a large flock of ducks, and let fly,they could get ninety plus ducks with one shot, they were used commercially to get ducks for sale.

There's plenty of information on Google about them, there banned now.

No....This wasn't a punt gun. It was a proper fowling piece with a curved stock to fit round your body as you lay down to fire it. Not sure I could have even lifted it to the vertical.