Pellet bands braking

chrissh

Reaction score
out yesterday for a few hours and was using Preston hair rigged pellet bands but finding that the bands are not lasting and braking after using them 3-4 times (1 hook & band is only lasting around 1 hour) could it be the cold water affecting the bands or has anyone else had this problem?

These are the Preston ready tied hook & band 4” hair rig the band are around 5mm diameter I’m using an 8mm pellet

Any recommendations on band that last more than 3-4 casts please

B

binka

I used to get the same problem with the Korum banded hairs, it used to drive me up the wall.

In the end I reverted to straight hair rigging as the only conclusion that I could draw was that there was no way of knowing how long they'd been in the supply chain and I think that over time they become brittle due to the nature of the material.

I had quite a craze on banding weird and wonderful baits but very rarely use one these days.

chrissh

Reaction score
crayfish nipping your bands ?

normally use drennan ones myself

There’s no crays were I was fishing and if there was why only band and not hair rig stops with soft dumbells?

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

I used to get the same problem with the Korum banded hairs, it used to drive me up the wall.

In the end I reverted to straight hair rigging as the only conclusion that I could draw was that there was no way of knowing how long they'd been in the supply chain and I think that over time they become brittle due to the nature of the material.

I had quite a craze on banding weird and wonderful baits but very rarely use one these days.

Been looking on eBay seen some 5mm dia silicon tube would it stretch or be to tight and cut into the pellet

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Try the drennan ones never had a problem yet !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sagalout

Reaction score
I tie me own using drennan mirco bands, I don't think I have ever had one break.

mikench

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the Preston bands and stopped using them. It seemed to me that the hair just cut through them!

rayner

Reaction score
If the line is tied to the band it as a tendency to weaken the band.
That is the reason why band are fastened with a loop and not a tight fitting knot.
I never used a lasso but after someone on here advocated using them I tried them and I'm a convert, haven't used a band for smaller sized pellets since.

You know who you are, thanks.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I would take them back to wher you bought them from and also email Preston. Bands are notorious for getting brittle as they age.

You should at least get the packet replaced