Small swivels.

dicky123

Reaction score
Just wondered if any clever sold has any idea on what B/S they have.

I use a size 11 for hooklinks, maximum would be 6lb strain. It helps stop twisting when using maggots. I'd like to go down to a 12 in clear water. Just interested in thoughts.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I use the Preston size 14 swivels all the time. I've no idea what the stated breaking strain of them is, or if there is a stated breaking strain. I'm yet to have one break in any way, even using hooklinks of 5lb breaking strain.
I can't see you having any issue with size 12 swivels on 6lb line.

B

binka

I've also tried to find this out in the past without any success.

Like Sam I use the Preston but in sizes 10 & 12 and have no problem with them at all including when targeting barbel with float gear.

john step

Reaction score
As above, quality swivels pose no problems.
However I was tempted by some cheap 1 and 2 oz bombs in a local bargain shop called Boyes. Twice I have retrieved to find just half the swivel on the line and no bomb.
Obviously cost cutting swivels in the manufacture.

I steer clear of anything with the name Guru on it after buying link swivels where by the clip part bent out so easily they may just as well have been made of plasticine.:mad:

dicky123

Reaction score
Guys, I'm happier using smaller sŵivels. I'd guess at least 12lb but have no way of knowing to be honest! I'll look at the Preston thanks.

Richard.

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 ----------

Guys.

Just brought some Preston size 12s. Very cheap compared to some other brands.

£1.49 for 20. Others are twice that for 10 in a pack.

Thanks for that.

Richard.

shane99

Reaction score
size 14 mini match swivels have not let me down so far. normally tie a fluorocarbon hook link to the swivel.

More often than not made up on the bank depending on what bait/expect to catch on the day

robtherake

Reaction score
The Cralusso fine match quick-change swivels break at around 9lbs in size 14, and at around 15lbs in size 12, according to Cralusso's own literature. I can't imagine needing any more than that in a normal float fishing scenario.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think a lot will depend on quality but these colmic ones Rolling Swivel - Colmic | eBay are listed at 9kg for a size 22 so I guess a 14 should be ample strong enough.

Be aware that there's been a bit of a change with regards to swivel sizing over the last year or two. Some manufacturers rejigged things and it left size 20/22 swivels being relabelled. The current Preston 14s (I believe them to be the smallest that they do) used to be size 20, 22, or maybe even 24s. Other manufacturers haven't necessarily caught up yet, or the outlets have old stock. Be careful what you end up buying based on numbers alone.

smudger172

Reaction score
You can always tie a length of strong braid to either side of the swivel. Tie one end to the middle of a bankstick and the other to a bag of some sort. Add known weight to the bag and lift the bankstick up. As a guess when you have two or three times the breaking strain of the line you are using in the bag you will have confidence in the swivel...

If the swivel breaks shout BINKERD...

On a serious note don't be tempted to fix a set of scales to one end and pull as a breakage could damage the scales..

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It helps stop twisting when using maggots.

If you get line twist using double maggot try hooking one by the blunt end and the second through the pointed end. If that fails then maybe you're reeling in too fast, this is where the line twist is most likely to occur....

Philip

Reaction score
You can always tie a length of strong braid to either side of the swivel. Tie one end to the middle of a bankstick and the other to a bag of some sort. Add known weight to the bag and lift the bankstick up.

...which is pretty much what I did a few years back albeit on bigger swivels as I started to wonder if the swivel might become the weak link in a setup using very strong braid.

For float fishing in a river I recon just about any swivel will be fine. I dont like diamond eye ones however as I recon they can constrict the knot and cut through under allot of strain. Probably over worrying but its why I always get round eye ones.