TFG Classic removing the bearings

bill1

Reaction score
Firstly, apologies if this has already been covered in previous threads. I did a search and couldn't find any information.

Does anybody know or have a link on how to remove the bearings from a TFG Classic? I'm fairly new to pins and have improved the performance of my Okuma Aventa by changing the bearings so fancied having a tinker with my TFG.

Mostly something to do when Her Indoors refuses to issue a pass to go fishing :D

iain t

Reaction score
Sure ive seen a video on Youtube regarding making the classic left the right hand and the poster explained how to remove the bearing. 99% of the time it's just the removal of a clip to get to the bearings

bill1

Reaction score
Sure ive seen a video on Youtube regarding making the classic left the right hand and the poster explained how to remove the bearing. 99% of the time it's just the removal of a clip to get to the bearings

Thanks Iain. I'll have a search for that. :thumbs:

thecrow

Reaction score
I purchased one of these reels, I haven't used it yet but with the addition of a very small amount of very light oil to the bearings it will now start to turn when I blow on the reel, I am hoping it isn't to free.

bill1

Reaction score
I purchased one of these reels, I haven't used it yet but with the addition of a very small amount of very light oil to the bearings it will now start to turn when I blow on the reel, I am hoping it isn't to free.

In fairness, mine runs quite freely but won't work well (trotting) with light floats on slow sections. So I thought I'd have a play around - remove the bearings and clean them out with solvent, then maybe try sewing machine oil if still no improvement.
So if you are oiling the bearings (I assume that there are two) I can get at one of them but not the outer one. Hence my question. I don't want to risk damaging anything . How do you get at the second bearing?

thecrow

Reaction score
In fairness, mine runs quite freely but won't work well (trotting) with light floats on slow sections. So I thought I'd have a play around - remove the bearings and clean them out with solvent, then maybe try sewing machine oil if still no improvement.
So if you are oiling the bearings (I assume that there are two) I can get at one of them but not the outer one. Hence my question. I don't want to risk damaging anything . How do you get at the second bearing?

If there are 2 bearings and I am not sure that there are both must be back to back or very close to each other, when I oiled mine i left the reel on its side overnight so that if there were 2 bearings the oil would work its way to the other one by gravity.

Please note that I am a centrepin virgin so whatever I post on here will only be what I have discovered on the bench.

Just had a look at mine and can't see a join between 2 bearings so there is either just one or if 2 they are situated firmly back to back.

Last edited:

bill1

Reaction score
If there are 2 bearings and I am not sure that there are both must be back to back or very close to each other, when I oiled mine i left the reel on its side overnight so that if there were 2 bearings the oil would work its way to the other one by gravity.

Please note that I am a centrepin virgin so whatever I post on here will only be what I have discovered on the bench.

Just had a look at mine and can't see a join between 2 bearings so there is either just one or if 2 they are situated firmly back to back.

Pretty much a virgin myself; a Madonna among the Marco Cortesies. I'll probably do what you did - seems sensible . Thanks for the suggestion :)