Rod Ratings

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 10ft tip rod with a 2oz tip. Reel lines up to 6lb suitable for casting up to 30g.

Old school mentality says thats quite powerful thinking back 20 odd years. Now it's only rated for silvers. What's going on??

It should be OK for commercials shouldn't it??

iain t

Reaction score
With a 6lb line it would easily pull Carp, Tench, Bream, Chub in. Maybe not a high double but a low double. If you use your reels drag properly or back wind 6lb can pull in most with ease. I only use 8lb for Barbel and Chub and can't remember the last time the line gave up in the fight. Would think your rod is overrated just for the silvers. What make a model is it

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I intentionally omitted the make and model. Its an Acolyte Ultra 10ft feeder. The Plus version was like a broom handle.

The reason I posted the question was I've recently watched the original Guru's guide to commercial fishing (I was bored) and they are promoting light feeder rods in the DVD. 10 years plus onwards and marketing "appears" to have taken over.

I don't match fish so figured the rod may be OK, as anything with Carp or barbel on it seems to be poker stiff.

B

binka

My ultralite bomb rod is rated from 1lb hooklinks to 5lb mainline and I bought it with the intention of it being a silver fish rod.

It does this really well and has also proved to be a great chub rod in addition to landing unintended double figure barbel and carp.

I think anything rated to 6lbs should have ample amount of power in it for a wide range of applications.

With you entirely on the old school thinking, back in my youth a maggot feeder rig for the Trent would have been 4 1/2lb mainline, you can pretty much double that nowadays.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I intentionally omitted the make and model. Its an Acolyte Ultra 10ft feeder. The Plus version was like a broom handle.

The reason I posted the question was I've recently watched the original Guru's guide to commercial fishing (I was bored) and they are promoting light feeder rods in the DVD. 10 years plus onwards and marketing "appears" to have taken over.

I don't match fish so figured the rod may be OK, as anything with Carp or barbel on it seems to be poker stiff.

I would have gone for the plus Andy.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
The Plus is like a poker Ian. I may resort back to one of my "hobbit" rods :)

fins

Reaction score
One of the things about rods is that different people suite different rods for different reasons, don't believe the hype. Try it out and then next time you get another rod you'll be able to know what you want for the style of fishing you do, just because a rod says, "bomb", "carp", even avon or states the test curve, don't take it s gospel. When we were kids one rod would be used for silvers and dead baiting, I even went fly fishing with my feeder rod?!? It all helped me as I now know why I want particular properties for a particular job and this might be very different from someone else.

steve2

Reaction score
Very easy to get taken in by the names on rods, pike rod, carp rod, silver fish rods, etc.. All rods can be used for a variety of fish and fishing. The first rod I ever had was used for everything from roach to pike. I now have rods for all but most never see the light of day. My carp rods are now my pike rods, my match rods are now my what ever I want them to be rods.

iain t

Reaction score
Now i know the make and model i wouldn't worry about it. The 10Ft is an excellent all rounder for feeder, bomb and legering. I won't chuck a 100 yards but 40 to 60 is all you need. Not forgetting the margins. Regarding the 2oz tip, it's only a sight indication. With your rod you may find it's a bit tippy until you start fighting a fish then the mid to butt sections come in you will have a nice through action.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Plus is like a poker Ian. I may resort back to one of my "hobbit" rods :)

You said that about the 13ft plus float rod...I wish it was a bit stiffer/more backbone.
Go on Andy, what are your hobbit rods :eek:.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
8ft Tricast wand. Great rod but getting fed up of its 3 piece construction. The Drennan was so nice and bendy it seemed like a worthy upgrade

The plus would suit rivers but too beefy for commercials

And I agree with previous comments that 6lb line (in my case Sensor) is more than suitable for a commy