Drennan Series 7 Reels

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Does anyone use the Drennan rear drag reels? I know they are cheap but are they likely to self destruct within 12 months.

mikench

Reaction score
I have the feeder reel which is ok. Having discovered small free spool reels I much prefer them for a whole variety of reasons.

I cannot see the Drennen being used much now:(

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have no need for freespool reels - I thought I did but find them heavy compared to some of my 2500 size reels.

I've not found any bad reviews of the Series 7 yet

mikench

Reaction score
I feel a slight guilt whenever I give an opinion on fishing tackle as I am far from an expert and as none of my gear has had any hard and sustained use. I do not know what the Drennen weighs but , having considered the not so obvious benefits of small free spool reels I bought an Okuma 155 Carbonite for all of £20. It even came spooled with 12lb line and a spare spool on which I have put some 4lb.. I really like it and it is as smooth as any of my other reels. It weighs about the same as the Drennen. Santa brought me a Shimano DL2500 which I also like very much. This is a little smaller and lighter and feels perfect on my 11ft rod.
I like the ease with which you can thread the line on the rod when in freespool, how one can allow line to freespool when you have landed a fish but need more loose line and putting the reel in freespool mode when you need a pee, something from the car or want to pour a coffeee! These attributes were pointed out to me by others on this forum and I agree with them. I fish for whatever I can catch and both these reels are great for all types of feeder fishing. I have even used them for float fishing when I couldn't be bothered setting up my float rod.

I do like the shallow spools on the Drennen though and am tempted to use a reducer/ backing when I spool up the spare spools on both particularly if I am using small diameter lines. In my case 100 metres of line is more than enough for the moment on the waters I fish; that may change however now my membership of PAAS looms large;)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike, just a word of advice bud, don't keep pulling line from your reel for tasks such as you have mentioned as you'll be putting lots of twist in your line. When putting line through your guides just click the bail arm over/open.
If you get a fish near the net and need a bit of extra line you can flick off the anti reverse and allow the reel to backwind...obviously you do as you feel best doing but using the baitrunner like that will give you twist.

Oh, and try not to wind in/against a fish as it's taking line from the clutch as this causes twist n'all.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I don't use them myself have good reports from those that do. Also good reports on all Series 7 gear.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Mike, don't feel guilty, you made some very valid points. Just had a play with a Red Range as the local shop didn't have the Series 7. It felt more than worthy of it's £20 price tag. I'll have a play with the Series 7 tomorrow in Preston.

mikench

Reaction score
My Drennen was the first reel i bought and it has been fine as stated. I am already falling into the trap of having too many rods and reels. 95% of my current waters have a one rod at a time rule which suits me. I just about cope with one;)

In better weather I usually set up a feeder and a float rod and alternate the two. I have a few 7 series rods and they too have been used regularly. You really cannot go wrong with a reel with 3 spools for less than £40:)

robtherake

Reaction score
My Drennen was the first reel i bought and it has been fine as stated. I am already falling into the trap of having too many rods and reels. 95% of my current waters have a one rod at a time rule which suits me. I just about cope with one;)

In better weather I usually set up a feeder and a float rod and alternate the two. I have a few 7 series rods and they too have been used regularly. You really cannot go wrong with a reel with 3 spools for less than £40:)

Sometimes you can .;)

Avanti | Avanti 10 10 Rear Drag Reel | Fishing Reel

mikench

Reaction score
10 spools all with line for £16 and 10 ball bearings! It is just too cheap and for the first time i do not want it and you don't want me to have it:rolleyes:

Rob what is happening?;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A good friend of mine owned one of the biggest tackle shops in the country and he sold loads of that sort of cheap shyte. He said even he was amazed at the prices they could make them for as a reel he would sell for twelve notes would cost him about two quid! He admitted the things where shyte but a great money maker :).

Last edited:

swizzle

Reaction score
When I got back into angling again about 4 years ago, the Drennan Red feeder reel was one of my first purchases. Admittedly, it's not the greatest piece of kit you'll ever own but at £19.99 (I believe they are now £24.99) you can't go far wrong. The rear drag has been good, I found the line lay pretty good too. The only thing that has annoyed me is the small plastic clip on the threaded screw that allows you to change the side you have the handle on has a tendency to crumble. This isnt too big a deal, just means you have to keep and eye on it, as if you don't you will find the handle coming off in your hand, so always check the screw.