length of feeder rods

associatedmatt

Reaction score
what advantages of length of feeder rods have when river fishing for fish like chub perch roach etc

i currently have a 10ft carp feeder for my comercial fishing and is ideal for that but the tips are 1.5 and 2 oz tips when have used it in faster flow by a weir the tip nods and have got the rod at 45 degree angle and more . Think i have missed bites with it .

I do also have a 11ft 1.5 avon rod which has 3 and 4 oz tips which i have used for bigger method feeder fishing but 3 oz tip seems bit heavy for roach

or can i just use the lighter tips from my smaller rod ?

or is worth just getting a 12ft rod with some medium weight tips ?

B

binka

The longer the rod, the more of your line you will be able to keep out of the water.

I know a couple of people who use braid for this reason as it's such a lower diameter but I've never really found the need myself, if you're rod is getting maxed out with the speed of the current maybe try upstream feeder/legering with a bow?

If it's really powerful I will go straight for the Avon and forget about the quivertip.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks Binka !

when you say upstream and bow in line never fished like that as my commie fishing normally tight lines . how does this work ?

im guessing best to go with my 11ft and use a smaller tip , what size tip for chub and larger roach ? 1.5 - 2 in a slow river ?

B

binka

thanks Binka !

when you say upstream and bow in line never fished like that as my commie fishing normally tight lines . how does this work ?

im guessing best to go with my 11ft and use a smaller tip , what size tip for chub and larger roach ? 1.5 - 2 in a slow river ?

If you do a search there's been some good threads about upstream leger and feeder fishing, too much for me to repeat without boring everyone.

The basic principle is to critically balance the lead or the feeder by casting upriver and feeding out a couple of rod lengths of line so a bow forms. A bite disturbs the balance, sending the whole thing downriver and hooking the fish in the process and makes tip selection relatively unimportant.

It's often a good idea to fish a long tail to keep the bait and hook away from the bow and it is a very effective way of combating strong flows :)

I'll add some links in as I find 'em...

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/352710-ledgering-how-many-go-upstream.html

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Once you've got the right weight of feeder and it's holding in the flow, I find it easier to fine tune the holding point by carefully lowering the front rod rest until the feeder starts moving again and then raising it back up an inch or two until the feeder stops moving.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
but thats the thing fine tuning the feeder to know what holds bottom but not ott , need to get out there and do more river feeder fishing .... well more river fishing in general :wh

peterjg

Reaction score
Length of feeder rod? - depends on venue but I now almost always use one of 11ft.

Strength of quivertip? - again depends on flow but it is better to use a more powerful tip than a too soft tip when down stream legering.

Upstream legering? - I do this a lot. You can use a softish tip but do not use a running leger or you will get bites that do not register on the tip! A good method is to use a pellet waggler rod on a bite alarm with a heavy bobbin which drops when you get a bite. Try to point this rod a bit upstream.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Have heard of people using a pellet waggler rod on alarms and using as a feeder rod but never both combinations on a river !

With tip i imagine it's a balance with the flow and how sensitive the fish are . I hear some will drop the bait if feel too much resistance . Was using a 1.5 oz in the weir on my 10ft rod but was getting fairly aggressive bites from roach all above 10oz would go Upto a 2oz tip in the weir but if in slower water in winter seems a tad heavy . Next time il give a go with 11ft rod but use a tip off my 10ft as they are both drennan series 7's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score
A lot of the bites are dropbacks, so the tip strength is less important than you think. Because the rig is balanced in the flow it moves with very little encouragement in the event of a bite and the weight of the moving feeder drives the hook in part of the way, so winding down to the fish completes the process. Despite having a biggish loop of line out a whopping strike isn't needed to take up the slack, since the water pressure is acting against the loop and holding it tight, if that makes sense.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
im taking on board upstream legering but will practice more when more competent river fishing .

i have a 11ft drennan avon 1.5lb quiver with 3 and 4 oz tips i shall start to use that on the rivers instead of bigger comercial carp but will use the 1.5 and a 2 oz tips from my 10ft carp feeder rod .

going to have a go after some chub this weekend not sure to go with feeder or just a link leger with some paste or a worm or breadflake

cheers