The answer to all questions regarding fishing...

peterjg

Reaction score
The answer to life, the universe, everything ..... Bread!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If only life were so simple, peterjg, if only..

I know what you mean, though.

Personally, I would say 'think about what you're going to do, and have a reason for doing it' All too easy to follow like sheep..

All very deep, this......

john step

Reaction score
Just so. There are sometimes a flurry of questions on here from beginners....which I feel are very welcome. However I sometimes wonder if they might be better to have a year at it whereby all will be a little clearer and then start the technical questions.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh but I feel its sometimes better to walk before learning to run??

Its almost like they burn out perhaps disillusioned and never posting again once information is gleaned. Perhaps there is an expectation of immediately bagging up with monsters as appear in the mags.

I suppose what I am stumbling to say is yes - practise. Start with tiddlers and everything else will follow in time.

mikench

Reaction score
I am still here John and still waiting to really"bag up" on fish!:)

I enjoy fishing and to me that is all that matters!

ps I have never used a keep net as they are banned on virtually all the waters i currently have access to. For the moment my memory remains fine for up to 20 odd fish;)

thecrow

Reaction score
Perhaps I am being a bit harsh but I feel its sometimes better to walk before learning to run??

I would say always better, new to angling or older and more experienced we are all still learning, I have fished for over 60 years and next season will be learning about a method I have never used before not in earnest anyway, the only way I can master this method is to keep doing it and learn from mistakes, sometimes explanations are not enough doing the deed is the only way.

nhs service

Reaction score
Gudgeon.
My first fish was a small Perch. Caught whilst a bloke who bore a strong resemblance to the great actor Kenneth More was telling me and my mate about a stretch of canal that was good fishing.
It was all very strange.
We went and quickly found it contained the entire world's population of gudgeon.
So it was not a case of getting fed up at staring at a motionless float for hours. That way lies boredom and the attraction of other less worthy pursuits.
So ere too long the float was bob bob bobbing and it lead to a lifetimes passion, and a lifetime of learning.
Gudgeon.

rayner

Reaction score
It's pointless practising unless you first have at least a little knowledge.
Once a grasp of the basics has been gained then yes practise is the answer to improving.
Newer anglers are at an advantage to how things were in the past because of forums like this, the generosity of folk they don't know who give advice freely is invaluable.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Practice and skill, equipment, location, watercraft, feeding, communication and research, patience, dedication and bloody-mindedness...all sorts of things to my mind make a good angler

But Gudgeon do indeed hold the key. They can reveal a hidden pathway to deeper understanding. This knowledge helped the great shaman float-fishers of old to catch magical roach over 7 inches in length and other fish like perch that needed a great net to lift them from the water.

rubio

Reaction score
The coaches' caution regarding the value of practicing is that 'practice makes permanent' rather than the usual practice makes perfect.

ken more

Reaction score
I would say always better, new to angling or older and more experienced we are all still learning, I have fished for over 60 years and next season will be learning about a method I have never used before not in earnest anyway, the only way I can master this method is to keep doing it and learn from mistakes, sometimes explanations are not enough doing the deed is the only way.

Good point mate:) What are you trying next season if you don't mind me asking?

john step

Reaction score

Me too. Both the 60 yr thing and the new method thing. I have had valuable advice here recently about circle hooks and also zandering. I do need lots of practise with the zandering part.

robtherake

Reaction score
Practice may make perfect, but to be shown a technique, alongside a worthy and concise explanation, can significantly shorten the road to enlightenment.