What am I doing wrong ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Went to do a few hours on the river Avon but I couldn't get the lead to fall to bottom it got carried downstream . With bail arm open just kept taking line . Biggest lead I had was 2.5 oz that did the same and even clipped on an extra 1 guess what the same , both was flat pear leads , but was using a 3pz tip and looked quite a unhealthy bend , should I be using my Avon top section ?

Any tips of set up and my drennan grippa stops with a leger bead inbetween I have a feeling will slide too much if used more weight .

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

It just might be possible that you are trying to fish in too fast a flow, it's the pressure of the water on the line that makes the lead move.

I know blokes who use 8ozs on the Trent, I'm not knocking it but it's not my cup of tea by a long shot and you will need seriously strong gear to chuck it as well as getting a generally dour fight from a fish dragging that weight around with it.

Did you have your tip high in the air to keep as much line out of the water as possible?

You could change from mono to braid which will help but it's not the cause of the problem by the sounds of things, the only other thing I can suggest is fishing steadier water where you find you can hold bottom.

Instead of relying on a grippa stop you could incorporate a swivel and a bead into your rig with the mainline coming off one loop of the swivel, protecting the knot from the lead with a bead, and your hooklink coming off the other loop in the swivel.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
It's above the weir and below even faster ? Even cast far bank too . It's pushing but don't look that much

thecrow

Reaction score
Has the river got any extra water on it? if it has look for slacker water on the inside of a bend for instance or behind any obstructions, how deep was the water you were fishing, if shallow look for deeper bits that will be slower, remember the flow at the bottom wont be as fast as at the top, as has been said keep your rod high or cast upstream and pay out a big belly of line, bites will show as drop backs.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Why did you have the bail arm open?
The idea (as I understand it...) is to cast out, then while you let the lead sink, "feather" the line as it comes off the spool with a finger lightly applied to the rim so each turn has to squeeze past; at the same time, watch the tip. You'll soon learn to tell when the lead has touched down. At that point, press down with the line-controlling finger,and keep watching/feeling. If the lead holds bottom, all well and good; put the rod in the rests, close the bail, adjust so there's a slight but obvious curve in the tip and await events.
If the lead moves, then pay out a bit of line, either by feathering or closing the bail and backwinding, until it settles. It is now spring-loaded by the drag on that loop, so bites will probably show by the tip straightening as the lead is moved by the extra pull of the fish, causing the line to fall slack for a moment.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Bail arm was open while casting , yes feathered line but I could not feel it touch down and the tip pulled over and was using a 3oz tip just felt was being dragged downstream even when casting behind a bush tree etc and all the water for top section is around 4-6 ft no deep water unless you walk past the railway bridge which is a 1/2 hour walk I only went for 2 hours after work so didn't want to walk that far . Not much extra water than last time was there .

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

On way home poped into tackle shop and the chap in there says I need to use 4 or 5 oz leads ! Would my rod be man enough to cast that ?! 1.5lb Avon quiver and yes my tip was in the air . I was fishing this particular section as known to be the main area for chub . But it's pretty fast by sound of it .

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Blimey, that sounds one big, angry river!

My immediate response to that would be to fish closer in, in quieter water - most fish don't care much for being forced to take too much exercise (I try to convince myself).
Barbel being the obvious exception, but even then, the big old fish like to take it easy from time to time. I know how they feel.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
All it is the Bristol Avon but a few weeks ago the flow was like a cannal on surface and a 1 .5 oz feeder was holding bottom in the weir pool odd ! There is barbel in the river but not as many as used to be .

But then it also brings up tench and bream in the summer , it's an odd creature , but as there is more water pushing through , you say fish closer in do you mean my side of the crease ?

sagalout

Reaction score
I drove past the Wye yesterday and I think you would would need an anchor to hold bottom (hello sailor).

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
It's up 6ft at the moment Andy. I've fished it at plus 10.

Case of finding the right swim Matt. The advice you've had is good....but you will find areas that 3oz will hold.

Look for the steady flow bits. Don't be afraid to drop upstream tight to own bank, let out 4 or 5 times the river depth of line once hitting bottom and although your line will point downstream as long as it doesnt keep bouncing the tip youll be ok.
Yes def Avon tip.

In these conditions the fish will at some time come into the slowest deepest hole. And often in numbers.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I did buy a few leads all gripper type while in the shop , 5's , 4's and some 3's is it worth a go just off the bank by my feet in margins where slacker water is ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thats and idea for thought ... il give it a go next time il go for a day and have a good walk up trying to find a less aggressive swim as we know chub will sit in the slacker water or just fish general

I no way a great caster but has got me fish on the bank , i do try to feather my casts but at times it can be in water too quick and before know it too late , but then i have taught myself so far nobody actually came out to show me .

i need to practice flicking out i can do side flicks ok ish and flicking a float out while holding hook in left hand but how the hell do you flick a 5oz lead , even with a 2oz i cant seem to get it far .

thanks

morston1

Reaction score
You really don't need to cast.....just drop the lead under your rod tip and fish under the near bank.

Don't make things too complicated......you will be surprised how little lead you need if you fish close it.....it certainly won't bother the fish.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
a gentle plop or lower down , i will be using some stinky paste so that should draw them in .

il give this all a go , need to get practicing with a under arm flick or pendu;um swing .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Matt. On the smaller rivers an underarm cast will get you many more fish.
The accuracy is incredible once mastered. Dropping alongside snags and under and in between trees.

It takes time, but now I even cast underarm on the Severn Wye and Thames.

Leave about 2-3 foot of line off the tip.
Point to where you want to cast.
Finger on spool.
Slowly swing the weight by using a lift of the rod hand and gentle arm lift.

Now. This is the hard part and all about timing.
Get a rhythm of lifting the hand again as the weight swings back and you feel the weight.

As the weight reaches the pressure on the tip on the forward swing release the finger on the spool.

Practice practice practice. Its all about the feel.....but I promise a few hours on the local cricket pitch or field will pay you back in fish. With that practice you will eventually be able to drop a weight on a plate at 30 yards.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks nobody has ever explained and it looks easier than it is , i have to do a small vertical flick most of the time .

also i see people holding the line in left hand pulling forward and back with that hand and releasing hand and finger from spool to cast

i see trefor west does it alot

bobatbob124

Reaction score
At least you can see the river , my local rivers (Exeter) are in the fields !!

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk