Bait pouch

mikench

Reaction score
For trotting do I need one and which is recommended. I can see the ESP one being useful for bait and other uses :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those pouches are too low on your body in a lot of situations, I prefer a cotton maggot bag hanging from my neck. I have a few but some are sensas and are ok bags, they have a little cord attached so you can tie the bag off when you want to put it down. If it does get dunked in the water the maggots can't crawl up and out and they dry off pretty quick...

Sensas Maggot Bags Baiting Tools | BobCo Fishing Tackle, Leeds

You could get your mrs to knock a couple up for you using some gortex, they'd be good ;).

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I use one of the ESP Stalker bait pouches thatb has a removable washable liner i think it was made for boilies ect but found it works well for maggot use it all the time now as even on the canals i tend to move around .

PG ...

seth49

Reaction score
I have one of the chub bait pouches, comes in handy for maggots when I'm trotting, and dog biscuits when I'm floater fishing, useful bit of kit.

trotter2

Reaction score
Maggot bag is the best option.
Keeps the maggots high up and out of the water when wading.
Essential kit for trotting.

B

binka

I've got both but still prefer the apron type up to wader deep water, it just works for me I guess.

The one thing I will say to anyone using a bait apron is that it's a good idea to take a selection of alternative floats out into the river and so easy to slide 'em into an empty pouch but don't!

I've broken far more floats than I've ever lost by doing this and I always slide 'em into a plastic tube beforehand nowadays.

bracket

Reaction score
Being an ex matchman I fish from the bank and would only wade, no more than one yard, from the peg (old match rules). So for me a bait apron is the first choice. I know the lads from Yorkshire preferred the bait bag around the neck, but it did not work for me. When I stand to trot a peg I do with a slight stoop, so found an apron far more workable than a bag, which would dangle. Forty years ago there were a raft of excellent aprons available, but now that does not seem to be the case. Recently I tried to replace one I had used for many years and all the ones I found were tat. So faced with that, I made my own. I made two straight apron types, with a single pouch, for maggot, and various pockets for bits and pieces, and one that was put over, ie a back and a front, with a hole for the head and the pouch divided in two, for caster and hemp. I bought all the materials from a local fabric shop and each apron cost me around £6 to make. Worth considering. Pete.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
If you get an apron or bib that isn't waterproof beware when using hemp or anything wet as unlike maggots juices can leak out and run down your clothes. As a kid I started out using my mums old butchers apron, hemp in one pocket, maggots in t'other. Used to have an oily stain running down my groin from the hemp even though it was bagged inside,much to the merriment of the other anglers I saw, I often had the last laugh though when they saw the comical teenager catching more than them. One old boy must have took pity on me as he gave me his old Diawa bait apron, which I still have to this day.

greenie62

Reaction score
The Daiwa apron is quite handy with a double large pocket and a couple of pockets for bits n pieces. The biggest problem I've found with them is when you sit down to retie a rig, have a cuppa, etc. - the skirt of the apron rides up and deposits the maggots and hemp into the waist - whereon the maggots crawl along the waist and drop into your wellies, cuppa, or tackle bag!

7876-270111173831-195119350.jpg

That would be another advantage of the bait pouch! :eek::D:eek:mg:

B

binka

The biggest problem I've found with them is when you sit down to retie a rig, have a cuppa, etc. - the skirt of the apron rides up and deposits the maggots and hemp into the waist - whereon the maggots crawl along the waist and drop into your wellies, cuppa, or tackle bag!

I know of one idiot who did just that last summer whilst moving from one stretch of river to another a few miles away and couldn't be bothered to take his bait apron off.

Got in the car and never realised his reds were crawling out and getting everywhere, down the sides of the seat, in the tufts of the floor mats etc.

I won't embarrass him by saying who it was but I swear I've still got 'em hatching out to this day!

Ooops... :eek:mg:

B

binka

That would be my ( my wife's ) worst nightmare!

I had an ex who used to like to come fishing with me in the summer, one particular heat wave I took her to Newark on Trent but it was an early start at around 5am.

On the way home late in the afternoon she was in the passenger seat holding the bucket of leftover maggots on her lap and I had noticed her head nodding a couple of times and on the last corner up to the house she went, and so did the maggots!

Mostly into her bag which was in the foot well by her feet.

I always did know hot to show a girl a good time :D

bracket

Reaction score
Have you patented your design Pete?;)

No mikench I sort of "borrowed" it. Pete.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

The Daiwa apron is quite handy with a double large pocket and a couple of pockets for bits n pieces. The biggest problem I've found with them is when you sit down to retie a rig, have a cuppa, etc. - the skirt of the apron rides up and deposits the maggots and hemp into the waist - whereon the maggots crawl along the waist and drop into your wellies, cuppa, or tackle bag!

7876-270111173831-195119350.jpg

That would be another advantage of the bait pouch! :eek::D:eek:mg:

greenie62. By coincidence that is the apron I used for many years. Recently I replaced it with the same model and whilst the design was unchanged the quality was very poor, it did not last me a season and was the main reason I opted to make my own. Pete.

mikench

Reaction score
I had an ex who used to like to come fishing with me in the summer, one particular heat wave I took her to Newark on Trent but it was an early start at around 5am.

On the way home late in the afternoon she was in the passenger seat holding the bucket of leftover maggots on her lap and I had noticed her head nodding a couple of times and on the last corner up to the house she went, and so did the maggots!

You old romantic! was that a contributory factor in the breakup? (rhetorical ?) I bet the wife has a clutch bag/bag with long straps I could use!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You old romantic! was that a contributory factor in the breakup? (rhetorical ?) I bet the wife has a clutch bag/bag with long straps I could use!

I remember getting a very smart womans handbag when working the clubs that had been lost and unclaimed. I went out late one night with a pal of mine catching trout in a small fly fishing pool, we used afloat and maggots ;) and when he saw the bag he refused to go with me as he said we looked like a pair of queers :D. I finished up using one of his bags lol.

robtherake

Reaction score

You did get them all back out of the bag, didn't you? Shame to waste 'em since the damage had already been done, Steve.:wh

swizzle

Reaction score
This thread is of particular interest to me as I have been mulling this over for a while, not for the bait storage, but to save me dragging a back pack stuffed with tat I don't need. Could anyone clarify what the difference is between the Daiwa Sma1 and the Sms1 is please? Can't find a detailed difference on line.