Stalking

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Who does any stalking on here ?

Did try it last summer but was unsuccessful , used link leger method on an Avon rod . But I think traditional float method would be better for indication .

What best way to travel from swim to swim without having to adjust the depth of float , arriving at a swim you don't want to make unnecessary disturbance .

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
I spend many of the warmer months on the local rivers and streams stalking fish in the clear water - usually tempting them with a free lined bait...........

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ah yes free lined bait on rivers , worms flicked out and bounced along with bail arm open keeping tension I guess ?

Should explained myself better , stalking on still waters lucky to have loads of gravel pits near me .

mikench

Reaction score
I think my neighbor is stalking me as she's been googling my name on her computer. I saw it through my telescope last night.:wh

flossy

Reaction score
Free winning where you can ,and if you need a bit of weight bit of putty or plasticine.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

free lining

associatedmatt

Reaction score
On gravel pits and still waters would be thinking using pellets or simular so that's why thinking float tactics

barbelboi

Reaction score
Should explained myself better , stalking on still waters lucky to have loads of gravel pits near me .

For my first 66 years I was fortunate to be surrounded by some of the most famous gravel pits in the country (the Colne valley pits), and I still have some great, unspoiled pits close by now, but for the sheer buzz from stalking it would always be a river/stream more often than not......

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Got 2 possible rivers to fish Thames at lechlade to tadpole bridge area or the bristol Avon Chippenham stretch get quite a long section . The Thames you do get slot of boat traffic though and it a bigger river

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

What's you stalking technique barbelboi ?

B

binka

If you're fishing in and around the margins the not moving the float thing is going to be tricky unless all the swims are the same depth.

I think I would be inclined to go with something like a matchstick on two float rubbers, set to sit flat and slightly deeper than the deepest swim and then just tighten the line up in the shallower swims to take out the slack.

I tend to find with hair rigged pellets of a decent size, say 10mm upwards, that the fish bolt on feeling the hook anyway and any float indication is after the hook has done its job.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's the only thing margins and close in fishing swims going to vary in depth , I just thought what about a lock slide float ? Never used one either . How would your idea work binka ?? I'm thinking if the rubbers are tight on float and line that you would have the float on surface with extra line laying about?

B

binka

How would your idea work binka ?? I'm thinking if the rubbers are tight on float and line that you would have the float on surface with extra line laying about?

That's where you need to tighten up to take the slack out of the rig in shallower swims, this is a bit crude bit probably explains it better...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ah yes great idea ! Wouldn't that work with s bottom end waggler ?

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Guess I can use my 1.5lb Avon rod for the hit and hold method ???

steve2

Reaction score
You wouldn’t believe it but this style of fishing, stalking, is banned on my club waters. You are only allowed to fish from made up swims.
I think the only way the members know how to fish is asleep inside a bivvy.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's stupid ! I'm not a fan of the bivvy club behind alarms all day and night and perhaps catch nothing yes I like bigger carp but rather go onto a pleasure lake and catch

Philip

Reaction score
That's the only thing margins and close in fishing swims going to vary in depth , I just thought what about a lock slide float ?

Use a slider float with the stop set a bit over what you think is the approx depth then pull back till the float cocks. It saves you having to make repeated casts to find the depth in those "one cast is all you get " stalking situations.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
never seen slider floats ... i do have a polaris float but never used it

Philip

Reaction score
You can buy floats specifically for slider fishing some are preloaded with weight but for what you want I would just use a normal straight waggler float. If your not sure how to set it up do a forum search and there will be loads of info on how to fish one.

Its dead easy ..if I can fish it anyone can and getting used to striking bites as the float rises is all part of the fun.