Incredibly smart pike

B

binka

I suppose it depends on what you read into it?

To me it just looks like an aborted take as the fish was opening its mouth to turn the bait at the same time it was moving away which caused the drop.

I guess it could have been a lethargic, well fed fish that wasn't overly interested in the first place or maybe it was hungry but thought that it was odd when it turned and the bait didn't go with it.

Either way, we'll never know for sure :)

I'm surprised the bait wasn't more free running though.

seeley

Reaction score
It was free running , the issue was he decided to let go and turn the fish just as the tension came on , most probably I could of gone lighter on the bait runner , but it was very light

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

I think he felt tension and the let go and tried to suck , as the bait didn't suck I to his mouth he chose to leave it , which is pretty smart

john step

Reaction score
I think this is visual confirmation as to what has been discussed on here before regarding missed takes getting more prevalent as the winter progresses.
Carp wise up so why not other species.
They are wild creatures and live by their wits so anything dodgy they have experienced will make them wary, particularly if not that hungry due to cold water.
How intelligent that makes them is debateable.

steve2

Reaction score
I have watched pike move up to and circle a dead bait. Have found that moving it away will normally get a reaction from the pike, they don't like to lose an easy meal.
Have found that you ca induce a take from many fish by moving the bait.

seeley

Reaction score
I have watched pike move up to and circle a dead bait. Have found that moving it away will normally get a reaction from the pike, they don't like to lose an easy meal.
Have found that you ca induce a take from many fish by moving the bait.
Yeah true , I can't when I'm filming obviously but when I'm not I like to twitch baits back over an hour or two , the amount of pike that sit along the side bait and never touch it is unreal , also the poof of sediment is a huge attractor to all fish