Painting rods

associatedmatt

Reaction score
How do I go about painting rods , just want to paint the tips white for me seeing better on a dull background . What type of paint best used ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't bother with paint and use self adhesive fluorescent tape, can be applied instantly and is more visible than most paints.

trotter2

Reaction score
Just use matt white paint. Two coats does the job.

mikench

Reaction score
Galeria Acrylic Paint in Titanium white. £3.46 from A*****.

I used this on a tip. It was recommended on this forum. It was easy to apply and works!

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Would any artist acrylic paint work ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Off to hobbycraft then ! Just a light scuff over with scotchbrite for a key

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've heard of people using a small can of car spray paint. Mask off the guides etc and spray away. I think it's quick drying and leaves a nice even finish if done correctly.

Too late though now as it looks like you've done one to the shops already.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Not yet , I'm on my break at work , il check tonight in garage as I may have some ford diamond white aerosol

associatedmatt

Reaction score
My 2 korum all rounder 1.5 rods are a carbon effect all over and noticed when was fishing in a weir pool under trees against the dark coloured water was a bit harder to see bites on the tip .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My 2 korum all rounder 1.5 rods are a carbon effect all over and noticed when was fishing in a weir pool under trees against the dark coloured water was a bit harder to see bites on the tip .

Rather than doing a permanent job like that which may well destroy the resale value would you not be better to use some plumbers or electrical tape first and see how you like it. At least then you can just remove the tape and the rods are non the worse for it?

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Good idea , may have some white if not I got blue

trotter2

Reaction score
It needs too be waterproof and also flexible ,some of the acrylic paints will be ok on floats but on a rod tip its a different ball game the tip flexes and will just crack some paints off.
So try it first if using acrylics be warned .

B

binka

I'm not sure what variation there is on acrylics but I made some straight night wagglers a few months ago which used the rubber/silicone tube as the starlight boss.

I initially intended to leave that part unpainted but brushed onto it accidentally and so I continued to paint the whole thing.

After drying I found I could bend it right over without the paint fracturing or peeling.

I'm very surprised in all fairness, hence trying not to paint it in the first place...

Whatever paint is used I would be inclined to give the tip the very lightest of a tickle with a really fine sandpaper and white undercoat first, especially if going with a flouro colour.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I might just go with the insulation tape and see how I get on and perhaps paint from there , I know my peacock floats need touching up as the red is coming off

keora

Reaction score
Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I find tippex works well as a temporary measure, and you can scrape it of with your thumb nail if you don't need it.

dave m

Reaction score
to save painting your rod tips you could just use the enterprise rod tip adaptors for using with a starlight or isotope.
you can then make a sight tip as i have done in this picture from a kids plastic lolly pop stick. the sight tip is about 1" long [but easy enough to make 1.5" or 2"] and is nice and visible against a dark background.

tip_adaptors_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

Philip

Reaction score
Yep I use the tip adapters too. I used to make my own before they marketed the ready made ones. I think Drennan do a version as well but the Enterprise ones are better imo and less likly to twist round the rod top.

Depending on the size of silicon tube you use you can also push those interchangeable Drennen float tips (for Crystal wagglers I think it was?) into it as daytime sight bobs so you can change the colour easily ...red/yellow/black etc.

...no idea if they still make those floats however ...not seen one for a while.