New reel

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new reel for float work and feeder fishing , ideally a shimano .

Like a decent line clip when feeder fishing still waters . My diawas clip is useless compared to my shimano dl's

Any suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Simano DL2500 or a Diawa TDM 3012. For the money the Greys GFS 3000 or 4000 offers good value and can be found for around £25

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The dl is a baitrunner I have the 4000's cracking reels unless the 2500 different and not keen on the diawas due to the line clips . Thanks anyway mike

iain t

Reaction score
I too can vouch for the GFS 4000. Very smooth, excellent front drag, 10 bearing and light. As good or even better than my Shims or Daiwa reels

mikench

Reaction score
I think it is MAP who have a special line clip on their reels so they may be of interest. I love the reels i mentioned but I do not cast to infinity and the line clips are ok for me( i usually forget to clip up anyway)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes it is map reels I seen them before . I always clip up when feeder fishing on scaled down carp style to a island . Cast oh that's pretty good next cast whoosh straight into the bush !

chrissh

Reaction score
I got the DL2500 & DL4000FB Reel both reels are great
also got the shimano Exage 3000SRCDH which has the rear drag system & fighting drag, comes with 2 aluminium spalls with a good line clip so you could use 1 for feeder line & the other for float line, had my Exage for 4 year problem free years (great reel for £50)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
How does fighting drag work ? I need a biggish metal button type clip not a naff plastic tab due to fat fingers .

chrissh

Reaction score
The main drag the same as the bait runner and the fighting drag is a lever behind the main drag which if pushed left or right increases or decreases the clutch tension, the line stop on the spool is the same size as the DL 4000

s-l5001.jpg

View image in gallery

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Matt, I use a MAP ACS spool reel for a lot of feeder fishing. The acs clip does definitely work, in as much as if you had a big fish on it could pull line out of the clip if need be.

However, you do need to make sure that the clip is always pointing down before you cast. Otherwise, the line will ping out of the clip on the cast.

Definitely worth checking out though.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
May have to look at an exage reel . Cheers lads

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I got 4 shimanos but all bait runners but there very good reels , I use the 4000's for feeder fishing as well only because there small enough . But float fishing I really want a light enough reel as holding rod more .

seth49

Reaction score
The Shimano 2500 are a lot smaller and lighter than the 4000, I use mine for float fishing and on tip rods, there useful little reels, like them a lot, and the baitrunner function comes in handy as well, especially if your fishing two rods.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you can pick a brand new shimano stradic with a rear fighting drag for about 70 notes. You can use the fighting drag as a baitrunner if you wish so long as you don't have the drag set to hard. Imo the stradic reels take some beating!