Hook length -how long?

Hogweed

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

When feeder fishing rivers for chub or barbel how do you decide how long your hook length should be?

I tend use a long length, say 3-4ft, if there is a good flow and shorten it for where it's a slower. That's purely to try and keep the hook near the feeder for as long as possible. Not sure whether it works or not. I catch, but that might be in spite of rather than because of.

I would be interested to know how you guys choose the length of hooklink you do.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For barbel I’ll chop and change as and when necessary. Where feasible I prefer to use a long hook length for the following reasons that I believe in but may, or may not, be true.

Firstly, I don’t believe that barbel are spooked by ‘loose’ line/braid that they can see as they spend most of their time rubbing up against streamer weed, branches, debris, etc. I do believe that they may be spooked by the taut line from the lead/feeder to the rod. So, being a long fish, presenting a long hook length in the right conditions minimises the risk of the fish coming into contact with the taught line whichever way it approaches the bait.

For weir pools I have had greater success with a short (12 inch) hook length and a rolling lead – I would also use a short hook length in a rising river/flood conditions. For chub I prefer trotting or free lining..........

Philip

Reaction score
I like long hook links where I can get away with them as I think it helps baits to behave more naturally but there are lots of variables for example the type of bait your using …no point using a 4 foot hooklength and a buoyant bit of bread if they are feeding hard on the bottom for example.

On the flip side long hooklengths can tangle more easily and as you say the bait ends up away from the feeder.

That’s probably not very helpful so at a very basic level if I think the fish are well up for it and literally trying to take bait from the feeder itself I will have no problem using a really short hooklink. If however I think they are backing off I would use a longer one. Reality is much of the time I end up using a “medium” one of about 1 - 2 feet and see from there.

Also worth noting that I dont approach Barbel & Chub in the same way & again as a very general rule I am more likley to fish longer hooklinks for Chub than I am for Barbel as Chub have better eyesight and are more tackle wary & picky than Barbel ...generally speaking of course...:)

nhs service

Reaction score
It's a variable. I work on the assumption the fish are there and feeding so if I'm not getting bites something needs changing.
Hook length first, using float stops just add 6 inches on every cast.
Then a lower breaking strain, then a smaller hook size,reduce the size or amount of bait in the feeder, then change to a bomb from a feeder and progressively cast down the swim.
Change baits, double maggot from singles say, red for a white, and an idea I've recently picked up, change the way I hook them, narrow end first, or in the middle.
If all else fails have a blast with a mega feeder for the last hour, or the oldie but goodie, stick a worm on and have a cuppa.
All the best.

john step

Reaction score
Reading the previous replies its pretty obvious there are no rules.
Horses for courses.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reading the previous replies its pretty obvious there are no rules.
Horses for courses.

Yeaph, "ring the changes" until things happen.

I'm not a fan of hooklengths over a couple of foot in length (especially in the rivers I fish) because when a fish is hooked they hang pretty parallel across from the weight and catch on the many rocks and boulders and snags with obvious results.
I've watched barbel feeding and actually taking my bait from close quarters and the line has never seemed to bother them, even when they brush against it.

Hogweed

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

I usually start with a hook length of about 3ft. Which it seems some of you think to be too long. I will certainly start with something shorter in future.

I agree about changing if bites are not forthcoming. But the rivers I frequent are not bursting with fish so it is just as likely the fish aren't there.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Generally 12 to 18" max. The key is how your bait behaves the bait you are using and how you introduce feed on a given day.

Somedays the fish will actually mouth a feeder. Then 1" banded to the feeder..

On hard big fish smaller water I also backlead.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have posted this before but I will again, I have a friend that regularly uses hook lengths of 10/12 feet with 13 ft rods its not for me but he catches his fair share and has had barbel well over 17lbs, he reckons where he fishes is so pressured in some areas that this is almost the only way he catches consistently.

Philip

Reaction score
I recall a story by a Carper who was fishing a lake about 8-10 feet deep (something like that) with lead clips and PVA bags tied round the hookbait and the bog standard 8inch hooklink that everyone was using. Arriving after sunset he was casting out in the dark and did really well and bagged up good and proper that night better than he had ever done before.

However it was not till the morning when it got light and he cast in that he noticed the PVA bags where floating up on the surface after casting...the impact of the lead hitting the surface was pulling the swivel from the lead clip so the lead was sinking to the bottom leaving the hook bait and PVA bag floating up on the surface until the bag ruptured and then the hookbait sank down.

In effect he had been fishing running rigs on 8-10 foot hooklinks !

The moral being that sometimes trying something totally different can pay dividends.

Last edited:
B

binka

I like my long hooklinks for barbel, typically 4' - 6' although I've gone longer on occasions where I want to cast into the current and swing the lead around so that the line is entering the water just before overhanging trees and bushes and I know that the bait is further down and well under.

Generally shorter for chub though.

I think there is something about this whole hooklink length business with regards to all fishing, I know the amount of times it has helped when float fishing on stillwaters and altering from six inches over depth to eighteen inches over depth.

Essentially the bait is sitting there on the bottom in both cases yet it sometimes makes such a dramatic difference.

Philip

Reaction score
Generally shorter for chub though

Interesting. I am the complete opposite when it comes to Chub...generally longer hooklinks than Barbel for me.

Whats your rational/logic behind it ?

B

binka

Interesting. I am the complete opposite when it comes to Chub...generally longer hooklinks than Barbel for me.

Whats your rational/logic behind it ?

I find chub are generally way too crafty and giving 'em too much line to play with just seems to increase their ability to do a Houdini with the bait.

In my experience, at least.

Ideally I like freelining very close in where I can get away with it in terms of flow.

Philip

Reaction score
I find chub are generally way too crafty and giving 'em too much line to play with just seems to increase their ability to do a Houdini with the bait.

In my experience, at least.

Ideally I like freelining very close in where I can get away with it in terms of flow.

I am guessing your fishing a hair ...or are you fishing the bait stuck directly on the hook ?

Yep freelining can be ready deadly as you say when you can get away with it. Those windless days especially when you can just watch the hang of the line for indication or even better actually watch them take the bait.

B

binka

I am guessing your fishing a hair ...or are you fishing the bait stuck directly on the hook ?

Wherever chub are concerned I try to avoid hairs and go for the bait directly on the hook and I will always try and keep the resistance down to the bare minimum, probably a good idea generally with free running rigs but i'm just more wary of it with chub.

One particular swim I fish quite regularly allows me to use a 1/2oz glass tip and the bites can still be very delicate at times.

Philip

Reaction score
one little thing I noticed when fishing for them in swims where I can see whats happening...it can pay to make sure the hook is compleatly concealed by the bait ...4 or 5 grains of corn on a size 8 for example so every part of the hook is covered, even the eye...or a good bit of bread. They have such good eyesight that i am convinced on occasion they can see the hook and will actually attempt to snatch and pick the bait off it rather than take the whole lot in their mouth.

I recall one fish in particular ...it was driving me mental ...3 grains on a size 8 and it was coming up and continually snatching at the bait right on the edge of its lips. This for several casts in a row each time with 3 grains but the hook point and hook eye showing. I changed to four grains completaly covering the hook and up the line and -bang- first approach it just sucked the whole lot in, in one go.

B

binka

one little thing I noticed when fishing for them in swims where I can see whats happening...it can pay to make sure the hook is compleatly concealed by the bait ...4 or 5 grains of corn on a size 8 for example so every part of the hook is covered, even the eye...or a good bit of bread. They have such good eyesight that i am convinced on occasion they can see the hook and will actually attempt to snatch and pick the bait off it rather than take the whole lot in their mouth.

I recall one fish in particular ...it was driving me mental ...3 grains on a size 8 and it was coming up and continually snatching at the bait right on the edge of its lips. This for several casts in a row each time with 3 grains but the hook point and hook eye showing. I changed to four grains completaly covering the hook and up the line and -bang- first approach it just sucked the whole lot in, in one go.

That could well go some way as to explain why flake and crust are such good baits for chub, no doubt due to the bait itself but maybe also in some significant part that they are also such good baits for completely concealing a hook?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Here's a snippet from a post to another thread I made sometime ago in respect of chub/resistance..................

Have you tried the open bail arm method for minimal resistance? The way I usually see it is, as the bite develops, the chub will be pulling line from the spool sometimes a few inches, but often up to twelve inches or more. Eventually the chub will bolt off and line will be stripping off the reel at a very fast pace. I believe it is important not to tighten up too quickly as it’s the speed at which the chub is moving which dictates the timing of turning the bail arm over...................I tend to gently take the line in my fingers once a bite develops. This then become a sort of touch ledgering with an open bail arm - Although there may well be a possibility of deep hooking a fish, as with other methods, I've found that it is easier to lose a fish if your timing of closing the arm is not quite right rather than the other way round.

mikench

Reaction score
This fishing caper, it's not simple is it!:) I like to read a thread like this but it does make me doubt that I will ever manage to become a competent angler or ever have enough hours in a session to ring all the potential changes;)

Mind you simple ignorance does have its merits:rolleyes: