Wallis Casting

robertroach

Reaction score
At the end of the day yesterday at a small club lake I spent an hour with a big lobworm hoping for a perch.

They weren't having it so I decided to practice my wallis casting or in my case wallis thrashing. Having decided to acquire this skill I am finding it very difficult. I got to a point where every other cast went as planned but I am finding it tricky to match the speed of the drum to the cast. Either the drum is going too fast or too slow.

Anyone else finding it difficult?

Amazingly, half way through all this thrashing, the bait landed in a patch of weeds at my feet. When I had sorted the line out ready for the next cast I had a nice perch attached, about one and a half pounds!

greenie62

Reaction score
.......Amazingly, half way through all this thrashing, the bait landed in a patch of weeds at my feet. When I had sorted the line out ready for the next cast I had a nice perch attached, about one and a half pounds!

Think that says it all really!:D:D
You don't need to cast to the far bank if the good fish can be found at your feet! :D
Tight Lines!

mikench

Reaction score
I have all this to look forward to:)

I use a baitcaster for lure fishing in the sea and can manage good cast after good cast remembering to feather the drop at the death until the 8th or so when i forget and get a birds nest. I doubt I will ever get it consistently right:(

ian g

Reaction score
One of the things I love about being pretty poor at wallis casting is I concentrate a lot more on the margins with good results

nhs service

Reaction score
I can't Wallis cast with a bearing reel. I've tried but I get the line wrapped around the handle every time.
With a true pin like an Aerial, on a good day yes, not too bad.
Fwiw, here's how I go about it, probably not textbook but it works ok for me.
Standing up the rod is held across the body to the left, pointing somewhere between 10 and 11 o'clock.
The reel faces towards you, held horizontally, not vertically.
Pull line from the reel and swing the rod forward, it will finish directly in front of you at about 12 o clock
Stop the reel, or on a good day slow it with your thumb until it stops.

Easier to show than write, and like I say if my timing is out misery ensues.
My brother once picked up my rod, the Adcock Stanton being the reel I was using at the time and was casting overhead, using the weight of the float to start the reel, strangely it worked!
All the best.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have a friend that uses the Wallis Cast, he has cast a measured 75 yards using it, don't think I will need to learn it though as pulling line from the rings will do for me.

paul80

Reaction score
75 Yards, must have used a heavy float to get that far

I find the cross body pull cast to be quite doable or just stick to the Nottingham cast, that much easier.

Don't think I have ever read two explanations of the wallis cast that are the same, must have gone out of fashion before Video was invented ;)

Keith M

Reaction score
75 Yards, must have used a heavy float to get that far

I find the cross body pull cast to be quite doable or just stick to the Nottingham cast, that much easier.

Don't think I have ever read two explanations of the wallis cast that are the same, must have gone out of fashion before Video was invented ;)

Well here's what the master FWK Wallis himself said about his cast which is now known as the 'Wallis Cast'.

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I have a friend that uses the Wallis Cast, he has cast a measured 75 yards using it, don't think I will need to learn it though as pulling line from the rings will do for me.

That's 225 feet what was he using a 6 oz weight :D

Keith M

Reaction score
I have trouble casting a lead 75mtrs with a fixed spool reel let alone a centrepin and float :)

My longer casts using the Wallis cast (casting a float) are around 35mtrs max and that's with the wind behind me on a good day :)

Even F.W.K.Wallis says that casting a float 100ft is quite achievable but well over double that? and measured? surely that must be a record :)

I'm not disputing the distance but I'm just gobsmacked; was he casting a float or a leger weight? :)

Keith

Last edited:

edsurf

Reaction score
I hear people say they cant cast with a bearing reel, I cast with both a bearing reel and a true pin and their is not a lot of difference to be honest. Lot of myths surrounding centre pins, Practise is the answer , A bit like a golf swing more about timing and smoothness that power.

I can't Wallis cast with a bearing reel. I've tried but I get the line wrapped around the handle every time.
With a true pin like an Aerial, on a good day yes, not too bad.
Fwiw, here's how I go about it, probably not textbook but it works ok for me.
Standing up the rod is held across the body to the left, pointing somewhere between 10 and 11 o'clock.
The reel faces towards you, held horizontally, not vertically.
Pull line from the reel and swing the rod forward, it will finish directly in front of you at about 12 o clock
Stop the reel, or on a good day slow it with your thumb until it stops.

Easier to show than write, and like I say if my timing is out misery ensues.
My brother once picked up my rod, the Adcock Stanton being the reel I was using at the time and was casting overhead, using the weight of the float to start the reel, strangely it worked!
All the best.

Philip

Reaction score
Fwiw, here's how I go about it, probably not textbook but it works ok for me. Standing up the rod is held across the body to the left, pointing somewhere between 10 and 11 o'clock. The reel faces towards you, held horizontally, not vertically. Pull line from the reel and swing the rod forward, it will finish directly in front of you at about 12 o clock Stop the reel, or on a good day slow it with your thumb until it stops. Easier to show than write, and like I say if my timing is out misery ensues. My brother once picked up my rod, the Adcock Stanton being the reel I was using at the time and was casting overhead, using the weight of the float to start the reel, strangely it worked! All the best.

Pretty much how I do it but I have not really tried stopping the reel....I'll give that a go although I imagine it will limit the distance...but reduce the tangles.

Agree with whoever said every description is always different. One bit of advice I quite liked was that the hand that pulls the line from the reel - as you let go of the line dont just drop your hand and arm out of the way ...keep your hand up & inside (so rod side) so the line continues to pull over it as it casts out ....your hand is almost acting like a huge rod ring keeping the line away from the reel. That can help to reduce the chances of it catching behind the reel drum or round the reel handle.

Great feeling when you get it absolutly bang on ...the spin of the reel matching the flight of the float...Joy ! ... Not such a great feeling when mid flight your float catapults back at you and you look down to see the mother of all birds nests....one of those where you know just looking at it, its a total respool job...:eek:mg:

trotter2

Reaction score
This just depends some bearing reels are easier to cast than others. A 5 inch stanton or a Leeds is a dog to cast . I sold mine on years ago when I realised it made a big different to how nice the line spins off the drum .
Other reels like the Sheffield are sweet casters and preform nicely not as good as a true pin . But ok as fare as a bearing reel goes
I have never found a reel that casts as well as a match aerial when it's tuned in nicely .
So I have stuck to them and there not expensive if you look about , some of these new bearing reels make me wonder we're they get the prices from . I would never pay it for a reel fitted with bearings. But each to there own.

psmith

Reaction score
This just depends some bearing reels are easier to cast than others. A 5 inch stanton or a Leeds is a dog to cast . I sold mine on years ago when I realised it made a big different to how nice the line spins off the drum .
Other reels like the Sheffield are sweet casters and preform nicely not as good as a true pin . But ok as fare as a bearing reel goes
I have never found a reel that casts as well as a match aerial when it's tuned in nicely .
So I have stuck to them and there not expensive if you look about , some of these new bearing reels make me wonder we're they get the prices from . I would never pay it for a reel fitted with bearings. But each to there own.
All good.

The 75 yards would be without a float I'm guessing using a two ounce lead perhaps bigger.

As for free running - a guy on the tube gives a demo - with the ratchet on. Still casts perfectly well.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A 75 yard wally cast......narrh, imo that's pure fantasy.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

All good.

As for free running - a guy on the tube gives a demo - with the ratchet on. Still casts perfectly well.

He must have been using a reel with a useless drag lol....i'd like to see him try casting with a Zeppelin reel with the drag on ;).