Ready Rod Sleeves

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Dear GOD how I hate these damned things ! Google PITA and one of these will pop up...probably with Drennan on it. :mad:

They might look the nuts but in my experience they are almost invariably 2 ins too short,will not stand up straight when empty and even if you do get your rod and reel in what the hell are you supposed to do with the banksticks & landing net handle ? Give me a decent rod bag and a holdall/quiver anyday.

Speaking of which....where does one get a decent rod bag nowadays ? By proper I mean good quality cloth bag with decent ties.

Philip

Reaction score
Your a fan then skip ? :D

Mind you ...got to agree ....what gets me is the people who put their rods into rod sleeves and then carry those in rod rodholdall's !!!!!

Strewth ! ..why not just stick 8 pounds of un-needed lead in your rucksack at the same time and parcel wrap your reels ...you know make life really easy for yourself....

robcourt82

Reaction score
Lmao. Get with the times Skippy!!!
Preston do a lovely ready range of ready rod holdalls. I've got a monster triple case and think its great. Can get 3 made up rods, landing net poles, a feeder arm and a 10m tournament whip without even trying.... just look out for a discount code as they're way over priced for what they are.

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

The Drennan hard cases are good too, 3 different lengths in single or double and you can easily get a net handle and bank sticks in.

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven't used a rod hold-all for years.

I have around ten rod sleeves (at least) together with 4 different sized quivers to carry my rod sleeves in (1 rod, 2 rod 3 rod and 5 rod quivers).
The days of carrying all and sunder in an old fashioned rod hold-all are long gone for me anyway :)

I do have a rod hold-all but on its own without any rods in it; it weighs a ton; however if I still went for long weekends after big Carp and needed to pack everything but the kitchen sink then I would probably use it a little bit more but nowerdays one nighters are all I do :)

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have a drennan 4-6 rod holdall nice thick and sturdy , well has got tubes in but carp rods don't fit in there , well got given some carp rods and only used them once , seem bit too stiff for my liking . Then I have got the sleeves that my drennan 7's come in if I know I'm just going to go on feeder il just take one rod but I have recently bought a korum 2 rod total protection sleeve . 2 made up rods and space for brolly , net handle , feeder arm and many bank sticks . Do prefer to use banksticks if I can rather than a feeder arm on a chair ... Well if I can get it in the ground !

When on still waters I can have lazy sessions at times and just fish on alarms . I do need to get out and do more float work !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

I do need to get out and do more float work !

Can we please disassociate the word 'float' from 'work' :eek: ;) :)

I'm with Keith on the quivers, many years now since I used a full on holdall of any description.

Even the Hardy Marksman quiver was too near to a holdall for my liking and sits in the shed unused, I have nicked the metal Hardy badge off it though :D

john step

Reaction score
Can we please disassociate the word 'float' from 'work' :eek: ;) :)

:D

S*d that. Can we please delete the offending word entirely. Us Retiree anglers havn't the time to entertain such thoughts.

Not the float word -the other one.:wh

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ha ha my dad retired last year and it's odd as a fisherman he went less than normal last year ... Work that out ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Getting back on topic.

I don't use rod holdalls either. I use Korum quivers ( 2 and 5 rod versions) and they have all the room and pockets I need and my rods go in the quiver in their bags. But these bloody rod sleeves don't fit anywhere. Not on the outside and certainly not on the inside. I say again....A right royal PITA. The 2 rod Korum is cock on and will easily take 3-4 rods in bags but stuff one of these sleeve jobs inside and it's full. I fail to see the point of these bloody things......So you have a rod and a reel but where do your banksticks go ?And you can't carry it over your shoulder like a quiver because all its got is a stupid little girly handle and it won't sit straight anyway without a reel to balance it which I never, ever do.

The whole concept is bollox and I'm not having it. Shed fodder....Soon as I've found a decent rod bag.

And you can also stick these hardcase total protection things up your Jack Harris too. Also rubbish with a capital R followed by ubbish. I'm not having that either !

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That is why I went with korum total protection sleeve can carry banksticks and net handles and a brolly too

S-Kippy

Reaction score
[/COLOR]The Drennan hard cases are good too, 3 different lengths in single or double and you can easily get a net handle and bank sticks in.

I bought a double one. God alone knows what I was thinking . That's in the shed already for the reasons previously given. One of the worst things I ever bought.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

That is why I went with korum total protection sleeve can carry banksticks and net handles and a brolly too

Good for you. I hate them.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Is there anything on the market that suits you ? What do you carry your rods in ?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Is there anything on the market that suits you ? What do you carry your rods in ?

It's not hard...read my earlier post. Korum quivers. I don't like anything that's fully enclosed or anything that requires me to carry my rods already made up and certainly not on the outside of anything where they are only likely to get damaged.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The nearest to what I wanted that I can find are the drennan sleeves and the drennan quiver to attach them to...wish I hadn't bothered as i've not used it above twice!

trotter2

Reaction score
I have not found the answer yet either trigger its a bloody nightmare mate.
That's why most of the time I take one rod LOL

Philip

Reaction score
After using holdalls and then a quiver for many years I gave up and now just carry the bare rod in my hand.

For roving with 1 or even 2 rods...rod(s) & net in one hand. Seat & rest in the other. Rucksack (or waistcoat) for tackle and bait.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Down to personal preference I prefer rods made up and carry banksticks on outside never damaged anything

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have not found the answer yet either trigger its a bloody nightmare mate.
That's why most of the time I take one rod LOL

I nearly always use one rod myself but fancied having a couple of barbel/tench rods set up at home (de-tackled when I get back) to make it less of a job when I get to the swim. I only finished up taking one rod when legering anyhow so that cocked that up lol. I feel much more at ease carrying my rods in their bags and in tubes and in a holdall or even a quiver where they're safe from damage. Being of a decent size the drennan quiver is good to carry the rods in tubes. Only snag with it is the top of the quiver has no draw cord or method of closure to tighten it up onto the tubes, this means they could slip out unnoticed whilst walking if the bag slides round on your shoulder. I might get a strip of velcro and glue it on the opening and see if that works.