This year I'm ....

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Just a thought I was thinking to myself what my fishing goals are for this year does any other think what there goals are ?

Il start it off by saying ...

I need to do more float fishing and master up in the water float fishing more along with river fishing in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
don't set any specific targets nowadays although I used to, now it's just to get out when I can catch what comes along, fish with friends, learn some more as we never stop doing that.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As new to the sport it's a steep learning curve on most things but there so many tactics to get grips with . Carp camping is not for me though !

john step

Reaction score
As new to the sport it's a steep learning curve on most things but there so many tactics to get grips with . Carp camping is not for me though !

Take it easy. You will never get to do it all to max. efficiency. Just enjoy the ride.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm not trying to do it to match standards just catch fish well . I prefer to waggler fish close in personally

flossy

Reaction score
Try too put into practice ,all that I've learnt, from the waters i fish.

fins

Reaction score
I like the way you have talked about techniques rather than weights of fish as a goal, I think that is a better way to fish. Big fish are not in every water but if you understand why you are doing something, then if the "biggies" are in front of you the chances of catching them have increased.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Absolutely. It's a waste of time, money and petrol to go tearing round distant venues until you've built a repertoire of techniques; if you can find a big river, a small river, a gravel pit and a pond to practice on, within easy reach of home, a year or several trying out every method you can read about will pay off in the future. And quite likely sooner.

However, if you find some thing that really works (probably because you're offering the fish something they haven't seen before, or the same old bait in a different way) then take a break from autodidactism and ride that wave; fish are neither immortal nor glued to one spot, so make the most of them, and move on when they move off.

peterjg

Reaction score
I'm going to fish this year (again) for roach, are there other species .....

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have done a lot of method feeder work on a local club lake and works well on commercials but waggler close in didn't seem to work too well think it's most patrol the far island . But yes want to be competent at a few methods then start going for specimens

steve2

Reaction score
It's a mistake to think that all fish patrol those distant islands. If I kept records of all the fish I have caught I think it would show that most of my best fish have been caught close in. I know for certain that my best Pike, Carp and Tench were caught no more than 10 ft out from the bank.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm not saying all patrol the islands but of a club lake I fish I caught a 16lb common when apparently they only go Upto 12lb in that lake so just depends at the time . Do you do a lot of rod length out fishing Steve ? Guessing if that close mainly on the waggler or a light ledger rig ?

steve2

Reaction score
I do, but then I ever never been one, unless there as been a reason for it to fish at long distance. If I want to fish the far bank on a lake I will walk round there and fish it. I would say though that most of the lakes I fish have deepwater, 2ft or over close in. 2ft may not sound deep but I have taken some big fish there.
Float fishing wise I tend to use pole floats close in. Ledger weight size anything depending on what I am fishing for and what bait.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks Steve , not done much float fishing since come back into sport , mainly feeder or ledgering . I just find when fishing on deck once plumbed up you have to get the same spot exactly . Had fish in the margins but bumped into my line and spooked . Best way to kick off a swim close in if after carp tench ? I use a few balls of groundbait and some pellets but soon swim off . Normally a banded pellet on hook .

---------- Post added at 02:31 ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 ----------

Oh and when fished far bank it's normally there a reed bed where if on opposite peg you can't fish it due to casting around the corner

---------- Post added at 02:32 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

Oh and when fished far bank it's normally there a reed bed where if on opposite peg you can't fish it due to casting around the corner

john step

Reaction score
2ft may not sound deep but I have taken some big fish there.
Float fishing wise I tend to use pole floats close in.

Absolutely. Its a favourite method of mine to use a centre pin and a pole float close in. On some venues that are deeper I like to use a long rod with this method to hold a bait on the shelf or at the base of the shelf.

The centre pin is good as it saves the risk of a break off when a lump takes off at close range.

rich4930

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a geek and so love to set myself fishing goals each year. I absolutely understand when people say it's not for them -just get out and enjoy it. A lot to be said for that too.

Reason I personally like goals though is to help me decide where to go and what to buy!! With both time and money being scarce resources I try and make the best of what's available by staying focussed. E.g. No point forking out 100 euros for dropshot gear when currently my biggest wish is a new PB carp. Then better to buy a decent cradle ;)

That said, my goals for 2017:

Top Three "Wishes"
1. PB Carp
2. 10x 4lb+ Tench
3. At least one 24hr+ carp session with my 7yo son

And two bonus wishes/goals:
1. Write at least two blog articles (last one I wrote was in 2015!)
2. Two further PBs (e.g. perch, cat)

Last year's biggest success was "Catch an Asp" and biggest fail was "Catch a Zander" :eek:)

This year I've scaled down my expectations to something more realistic ;)

Last edited:

maurice walsh

Reaction score
2 goals for me this year, 1... get out fishing alot more, sounds simple but , 3 grandkids, a car to rebuild, and at this time of year all the felled trees to be got in and chopped up and stacked for next winters fuel, not to mintion the "unforseeables", wont see me near the water until at least the end of march, when that time comes around the first job is to get my boat in the water, the hardest part of that is WITCH water to put it in to:eek:mg::D, 2... i taken to the darkside and got myself a fairly complete kit of pole fishing gear, and a new seatbox !!! an old buddy of mine took up the pole a couple of yrs ago unknown to me , and he has offered to school me in the dark arts:D, so an interesting year ahead for me, i cant wait:D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Sound a lot of busy times ahead , I thought carp fishing was the dark side ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
No targets for me, though I've set them in the past. I found that unrealistic targets lead to disappointment. Any target also seems to have an uncanny knack of making fishing a chore.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I would say mine are quite manageable , learn to float fish and be more confident at it . And master river fishing better .