1st time trotting

associatedmatt

Reaction score
hello all im going to try some trotting for 1st time tomorrow is there any tips to point me in right direction ?

not sure how to plumb up in flowing water and il be using a wire stem float its says on 12 number 4's . my thinking is alot or most fish will be near or on the deck so was going to fish with bulk over 1/2 depth and a micro swivel to attach hook link to and 2 small droppers like 6's

any help appreciated

oh im using a fixed spool reel with 5lb line

xenon

Reaction score
would start fishing off the rod end as this is easier to control the float compared to fishing further out.I personally don't bother with a plummet but just use a swan shot (or enough to definitely sink the float) near the hook with nothing else between that and the float. To find the depth in fast water i cast underarm downstream-the idea is that the shot hits the water first and as it sinks the float will pivot around the shot on the bottom-you are looking for the high point of the arc, and adjust the length accordingly. This is easier to do with more shot than that which is just enough to sink the float. Don't be afraid to use a heavier float if need be.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks for that , i got rod set up and using the heaviest float i got 12 no4's i think i said ??

i will try 1st closer in on a long snag freeish glide . so with plumbing on moving water say to start of at 3 feet and keep trying and deepening untill you see the float catch and get pulled under and then keep moving more shallow few inch at a time until does not catch then try a inch deeper until just catches again is that correct ?

what about casting a flick ?

trotter2

Reaction score
As a general guide use one no4 for every foot off depth.

I don't use a plummet to find the depth I just keep adding depth until I hit the bottom then take a couple of inches of at a time untill I get a clear trott through.
An alloy stem is a good staring float to use.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks , not worth putting in a few small balls of wetted bread crumb around wallnut sized ?

guessing you mean every foot of water 1 no4 according to float size so if 1 foot 1 x 4 float 4 foot would be 4 x 4 float ?

if its a bit fast would a slightly heavier float help ? I also take it try to find somewhere slow running to start ?

B

binka

il be using a wire stem float its says on 12 number 4's

Is there any particular reason why you've selected your float in advance of seeing your swim and the river conditions on the day Matt?

Generally, float selection is based on several aspects including depth, speed of flow, temperature in relation to how you expect the fish to be taking the bait eg. on the drop, hard on the bottom etc.

The swim characteristics should also dictate the type of float too eg. Stick, Avon, Bolo.

I agree entirely with Xenon in that you would be wise to start off the rod end, walk before you can run and then apply what you have learned as you go further out and don't for one minute think that the better fish will always be further out.

Practically everything else that Xenon does I would do differently and his way is just as good if not better than mine but I suspect we are just using different ways to achieve the same ends, catching the fish.

Decide what you are comfortable with and progress what works for you.

If that all sounds a bit confusing just combine the type of float with a shotting pattern which offers a natural presentation along with an 'encouraging' feeding pattern and you won't go far wrong.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Binka my thought of selecting float is that is my heaviest wire stem float and would need to at least have a float of to find the depth and change from there , i only have wire stem on waggler floats .

I thought the size meant was how many shot was required to shot it , like 12 x 4 was 12 no4 shot .

is it wise to do bulk shot around half depth and then a micro swivel and 2 droppers ? I have also put a shot under the float .

yes i will try rod length out to start with for sure and also i hear people talking about holding back ?? i assume i need to run the float through slower than the flow and dapping the line from the spool and holding finger to hold back ?

B

binka

Yes you're right about the shot ratings.

It's a very broad question as to shotting pattern without knowing the particulars of the swim but you won't go far wrong with what you are running with on an exploratory basis but experiment with the speed of the run through.

Sometimes they want it running at 'em eg. at the natural speed of the flow and sometimes they want it a bit slower eg. slowed down with the bait dragging bottom.

Try holding back so that the bait rises and then let it go and be prepared for the bites as the bait falls again.

You're on a really enjoyable learning curve here, the more you experiment the more you learn and the better the results :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've only started trotting this season, it's a world away from sitting in a chair waiting for a bobbin to move, an alarm to buzz or a stationary float to sail away.

Smoothness and organisation come to mind, fishing a float that is attached top and bottom carries a greater risk of tangles than a bottom only float, a smooth underarm cast reduces annoying tangles.

On my first trip there was hardly and flow and my new shiny pin just didn't want to spin, a variety of floats with various surface areas as well as weight solves that issue.

My backs not too good nowadays, I'm ok standing but having to bend or stoop over soon tires my weary bones so organising bait, (for me a bait waiter or a pouch) I even have my landing net handle propped on a bank stick so that's at hand when needed.

It's quite mesmerising watching the tip of your float glide downstream hoping it will dip below the surface at any second but I've learnt already it's important if not more important to pay attention to your line, especially if it's windy, keeping a taught line so you are in direct communication with your hook via the float.

I've had a few blanks but that hasn't bothered me as learning the art and practising is rewarding.

Enjoy your day.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks binka i will have a go tomorrow and see how we get on , my dad says the onyl way to fish a river is trotting . Sadly he has been on the dark side for over 10 years going after specimen carp and sat in his bivvy .

took me over 3 months for him to commit come to white acres with me :eek:mg:

B

binka

I even have my landing net handle propped on a bank stick so that's at hand when needed.

And an excellent way too.

That was the foundation of many a Trent matchman back in the halcyon days of river match fishing, everything was on hand and almost automated so that the angler could concentrate purely on his fishing and feeding.

I was only a teenager back then but old habits die hard...

:)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
think i need to dash into garage and grap some banksticks for the net handle , only problem i have not got a bait apron ... bucket hanging from a long bankstick it is then :D

trotter2

Reaction score
You would normally use bulk shotting in fast currents to get the bait down quickly. If the fish continue to lie on or near the bottom of the river it will work just fine.
Because you are new to this concentrate on the basics for now trotting the float smoothly and in a straight line. Feed regularly that's enough of now believe me.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
All I'm taking is gear for trotting to force myself to keep doing it , think for next few river outings will be best thing to do as its easy to go to a method your better at .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
.......and what about the twitch in a quiver tip S63; just as exciting !;)

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
40 yrs later I am still stick float fishing rivers. Just the most enjoyable way to fish.
And without a doubt the most skillfull you never stop learning something new.

thecrow

Reaction score
And without a doubt the most skillfull you never stop learning something new.

Sorry but I cannot agree with that statement, it's just another method, no secrets and as with lots of other methods practicing them can make the angler better at it.

Your second statement is something I would agree with but that also applies to all angling.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
what a waste of time this morning , the stretch im a member of the faster waters are quite snaggy with trees and lots of corners not really ideal to learn to trot on all the straight glides are badly overgrown where you can not get to them or no fishing signs attached to fences due to the drop from the bank , some of the drops looked around 20 feet and alot of weed close in to the bank and massive reed and rush beds even though dies back still get to edge of bank and there 15 feet if not more in front of me .

they have only got this stretch of water back for a break of 6 years i believe .

could ledger no problem to get over the weed and rushes of in between the trees but was no good to learn to trot on at all .

went to have a look at the thames on way home by near kelmscot and lechlade but all club waters and no point joining until the new season starts alot more straighter sections and not as over grown

going tohave to go on still waters i think