Odd Abu reel

db4bore

Reaction score
:confused:hello every body and thanks in advance Iam asking advice about a reel I bought I have looked on the Abu site I think he is Italian it says very rare but I have no clues so I will throw it to you knowledgeable people it is a Abu Cardinal 70 model a champagne cup fixed spool reel I am not sure of the date its boxed in the slightly tired original box the reel is in very good condition not mint just 2 tiny marks on the rotor cup any info greatly received thanks Mike

robtherake

Reaction score
These were in ABU catalogues from the 1970s. They were a lower specification than the more desirable Cardinal 77 and 77 Express models, but were still decent reels. Solid and dependable.

db4bore

Reaction score
Thanks for the replie so it seems to be nothing to special then just the colour thanks again mike :)

robtherake

Reaction score
Looking further into it, there are two models - the 70, which is blue/white, and the 70 Model A, which is brown/cream, although I confess that I don't know how they differ, other than the colour scheme.

Edit - Well I'll be blowed, as they say. There is a 70A with a champagne rotor and it's the rarest of the three. I read the print off those old ABU catalogues and don't remember a listing for the champagne model. :confused:

Documento senza titolo

Last edited:

db4bore

Reaction score
:)thanks for the replies you can't always believe what you read but may be the Italian fella means hard to find colour wise right best offer over £40. 10p :D mike

---------- Post added at 01:54 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Hello again I have looked on eBay yes it is the model 70 a but dark brown and tan not the champagne cup it is turning in to a bit of a mystery I am certain it's the different coloured one thanks mike

robtherake

Reaction score
It might be worth asking the same question on the Traditional Fisherman's forum, so I'll do that for you and report back.

db4bore

Reaction score
Thanks very much that's a really nice thing to do I read traditional fisher mans forum and I am trying to become a member my self thank you mike :)

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

:thumbs::Thanks very much that's a really nice thing to do I read traditional fisher mans forum and I am trying to become a member my self thank you mike :)

robtherake

Reaction score
I've done a bit of reading on old ABU Cardinals and also had a couple of replies on the TFF.

As far as I can gather, the champagne-coloured paint was only used in a single year's production because it wasn't sufficently hardwearing, hence the rarity. The reel should have a black and gold sideplate and the correct serial number, (which wasn't included in the replies). The box ought to add a little value, since relatively few remain.

The reel will be worth proportionately more at auction than the standard model, but is only worth what someone will pay for it on the day.

A couple of photos might be helpful.

db4bore

Reaction score
Hello again rob the model is Abu model 70a champagne cup the serial no is 780600 I'm unable to post pics due to just finding my feet on Internet but it is exactly the same as the one on the Italian Abu site it's very good condition with two tiny marks on the rotor cup and boxed thanks again Mike

db4bore

Reaction score
I read the tff forum but cannot post as yet rob yes the rotor assembly is brass and yes defiately the champagne colour thanks once again mike

robtherake

Reaction score
Yes, I managed to change the reel into a 60A - must've had a brainfart (not an isolated occurence) :eek:

"Any of those model reels are rare and it is all about the rotor, have to say except for my friend Marco Malevasi I dont know anyone who owned another, the biggest talking point will be if the rotor gear is made from Brass and not steel, If it is made from Brass, and I see no reason why its not, then a good listing on the bay of evil will get your friend maximum value."

db4bore

Reaction score
Many thanks rob the rake for helping to round off this mystery reel we headed down the same road but with you and your tff fellows it was proved to be what it is thank you a very kind man and your friends on tff till we talk again mike