winter still waters

associatedmatt

Reaction score
going to have a go at my local comercial only 10 minutes up road from me and have big bags of carp and roach in summer was catching there on last visit in early December on bomb .

thinking what would be best plan of attack ? fish in open water on deck or against the margins or islands ?

bait wise would it be better to try chopped worm in a small feeder and a red worm on hook ?

but if i go for roach float tactics i guess best to fish rod length or 2 out with a fine tip float got a few antenna floats which are really sensitive . Is it best to try fishing mid water and try to bring the roach up on little and often basis with maggot or just just on the deck with maggot little and often ?

cheers

mikench

Reaction score
Why not just go equipped for whatever appears appropriate on the day! Ask your fellow anglers what they would recommend to suit the day and the conditions. You can often try several different tactics during a session and there is always the day after;)

I no longer take made up rods because , being basically lazy, I would just stick with whatever I had last used even if unsuccessful . By starting from scratch I am more inclined to adapt and try something new like a helicopter rig!

And to think I thought fishing was going to be easy!!:rolleyes:

tom_moran

Reaction score
Is this stait matt?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
no tom its flaxlands , normally bomb or method feeder works well in summer but not so well in winter . I had the idea of going with 2 rods 1 on bottom with a feeder or chop worm and trying to find a carp . While fishing waggler for roach .

not sure if best to fish bottom for carp margins or islands or in open water ...

tom_moran

Reaction score
Margins for carp, the love worms in the winter and bright pop ups. Trick in the winter is very little if any loose feed.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thats what i was thinking rod length out chopped worn in s tiny plug it feeder and little groundbait to plug it 12" hook link .

pick a good margin swim though

tom_moran

Reaction score
I was at flaxlands for a walk end of last year and therr was a guy smashing it like it was the middle of summer, he was using pellet waggler techniques on the square lake but insisted that if you fished the near margin it doesn't work cause the fish are spooked in there, he was casting about 3 foot off the far margin and using a catty to bait over the top each cast

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i cant see how that is true in summer most my carp from there are from margins or far bank .Worth a try with worms though im not sure how well pellet would work this time of year ?

worm if not 8mm on hook and nut sizes ball or 2 of micros

tom_moran

Reaction score
I was quite shocked too to be quite honest but it worked, he landed 2 in the 10 mins I was stood with him and missed a few more bites aswell. A low oil pellet isn't so bad in the winter, use the ones they sell at flaxlands as thats what she feeds them so they see it as food. I work in lyneham so will do flaxlands a couple of times this year

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i have used there halibut pellets but there yellow course pellets are naff i just use course pellets halibut or the source by dynamite baits . course pellets for loose feed

tom_moran

Reaction score
The pellets they sell I think are the hinders carp pellets. You need the light coloured ones in the winter as they arnt oily and break down quicker giving off scent etc

associatedmatt

Reaction score
they are indeed hinders pellets as know lads in there well but there was some thats looked honeycomb colour but i didnt catch naff all on them but the source is a meaty spicy pellet so gives off a nice smell

tom_moran

Reaction score
I've got some source pellets somewhere, tbh I've got enough bait for several seasons in the shed lol can't say no to a bargain me lol

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I've got some source pellets somewhere, tbh I've got enough bait for several seasons in the shed lol can't say no to a bargain me lol

good pellets they are used stait too and work well there !

roach fishing there i guess best shirt button style or best to bulb to get on deck ?

tom_moran

Reaction score
I've never roach fished stait. For silvers and perch I always fished Claydon. 2 rod rule, one float and one on the bottom for tench.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i not sure stait has many in there , flaxlands has alot of roach when i say alot i mean a big number of them some over 1.5 lb

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

never fished there before but have been there and im summer looks nice

tom_moran

Reaction score
i not sure stait has many in there , flaxlands has alot of roach when i say alot i mean a big number of them some over 1.5 lb

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 ----------

never fished there before but have been there and im summer looks nice
Sorry matt, got my wires crossed there. I may target them on the float next time I'm there, it's got a good head of crucians there too which seem to like a float fished maggot

Yes Claydons a fantastic mixed fishery, great place to take the Mrs aswell in the summer. Only negative is the crayfish.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Is there any carp in there ? It's a shame you can't fish all banks , if was mine I would net the whole lot and just stock it with tench crucians and some common carp. Wonder how the crays get in there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Great il go on a light float a couple rod lengths out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom_moran

Reaction score
Yes there is, some big ones too but extremely rare for them to come out, they tend to hang around the areas you can't get to. The Crays walk on land from river to lake etc. They are in most lakes around that area now. Annoying when your after tench and the Crays move in

associatedmatt

Reaction score
have you tried franklins ( wick water ) for tench ? i been told there is alot in there