Fishing from wooden platforms

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Looking at a club to join but in rules it says fishing from platforms only the gaps between the boards are too narrow for banksticks and in places the margins are deep around 4 ft .

I know match men use rests attached to your seat boxed but I fish from a chair and wondering what's best method to set up rests .

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thankfully I never come into contact with these where I fish - try a Makita with a 10mm bit..................;)

mikench

Reaction score
If your bank stick is long enough( i bought a 3 -5 foot telescopic one) you can stick it in the lake at the side of the peg both front and back. The back one can be shorter as the depth will be less (usually).

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

I know a few pegs where a hole has been drilled !:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Looking at a club to join but in rules it says fishing from platforms only the gaps between the boards are too narrow for banksticks and in places the margins are deep around 4 ft .

I know match men use rests attached to your seat boxed but I fish from a chair and wondering what's best method to set up rests .

Cheers

I wouldn't join a club that has such a daft rule, if you must then use a pair of long rests or a couple of weighted tripods or do as has been suggested and make your own hole :eek:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
For such occasions I use a simple rod pod which has a single leg to take screw-in rests. It is a lightweight job, simple to carry and folds out ready for use in a trice. It has enough flexibility to level it on various boarded swims (on still waters and float fishing) and I have never found it wanting.
Best of all, it means I don't fuff around trying to drive rests into the ground, making noise and becoming frustrated before I've even cast a line.

Some of the cheaper models in aluminium are cheap enough, but sometimes they are so light they can move about a bit too much so I went for something more substantial and it sits perfectly well on the boards. With mine, if I desire fishing with two rods I just add a cross bar and I'm ready to go.....................

Works for me, and it is the envy of those fight with rests in gravel bottoms and resort to using the dreaded mallet instead... Ugh!!!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I made a few of these up for my local lake that has platforms.

0A8C4489-F0A8-4E27-9A98-B197090F5F49_zps0r0ecdst.jpg

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thankfully I never come into contact with these where I fish - try a Makita with a 10mm bit..................;)

Think il get banned for life !

---------- Post added at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 ----------

If your bank stick is long enough( i bought a 3 -5 foot telescopic one) you can stick it in the lake at the side of the peg both front and back. The back one can be shorter as the depth will be less (usually).

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

I know a few pegs where a hole has been drilled !:)

What I would normally do but been told lake bed is rock hard and full of gravel . Something that can clamp on the staging like a g clamp with a tube welded to it to take a bankstick ... Only thing you can't weld cast to thin tube that easy !

---------- Post added at 07:35 ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 ----------

I made a few of these up for my local lake that has platforms.

0A8C4489-F0A8-4E27-9A98-B197090F5F49_zps0r0ecdst.jpg

Where did you get those clamps from ? I can't find any like that only cast g clamps

---------- Post added at 07:36 ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 ----------

Stage stands. Far more stable than tripods or long rod rests.

Stage stands , arnt they screwed in ?

psmith

Reaction score
I use a rod pod with just a single set of rests.

I think some shops sell mini tripods.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have a pod that takes 3 rods but if float fishing I only use a front rest and hold rod on knee not ideal on a pod , why don't they build platforms with built in banksticks ???

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cordless drill or electric screwdriver . Wonder what balif would say

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A good few ideas there the clamp idea looks great !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Cordless drill or electric screwdriver . Wonder what balif would say

Who cares ? Stage stand and a short rod rest, cut down if necessary. Solid as you like. I use tripods occasionally but they aren't terribly stable and can get in the way.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd go down the long extending bankstick route as others have already said. If the ground is gravel or tough use a screw in type, the fox cam lock sticks are great or a good quality alternative at a good price the dinsmore power drive sticks. I fish a small pool with the same kind of problem and I use long banksticks. You can use one down the side of the platform and another at the front corner, so inline with each other or just use one at the front side of the stage and rest the rod handle on your knee or a bucket etc or just hold the rod in your hand, the latter being something I do if having lots of bites.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Where did you get those clamps from ? I can't find any like that only cast g clamps

Such things were very common years ago in model shops and the like. These took a bit more sourcing and sadly I cannot recall the online retailer, strangely I do remember they had a shop and its in Croydon.

Someone who may have knowledge is Ralph (Fishplate42).

Keith M

Reaction score
Here's a stage stand which screws into the landing stage.

Simply screw the Phillips screw (supplied) through the hole in the base into solid wood.
Then just insert your rod rest.

Cygnet 20/20 Stage Stand 16mm - - 610708 - Billy Clarke Fishing Tackle

I'm told that you can find them much cheaper if you look around, but even at that price they look ok.

Keith

Last edited: