Prawns for chub

swizzle

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the subject today after my session on Sunday and seriously considering using prawns as bait in the future. I'd probably go with a similar link leger set up, have any of you chaps given it a go?

xenon

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the subject today after my session on Sunday and seriously considering using prawns as bait in the future. I'd probably go with a similar link leger set up, have any of you chaps given it a go?
tried it on the middle thames (Kingston bridge to be precise)-only got any action after dark, but very good-in fact a real banker bait. For eels. I happen to like eels.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Prawns are a fantastic bait.
Perch chub carp brim love them.
And have had big roach on pieces when sorting out bigger fish from a shoal on commercials.

I normally fish them in conjunction with maggots as regular feed. Five or six prawns as feed for starters or if after better silvers on overstocked commercials a dozen broken up.

For chub on the feeder, broken up into mashed bread 50/50 with a whole one on the decent sized hook.

Alternate prawn and flake. Very good winter bait.

Keith M

Reaction score
I started using peeled prawns back in the late 70s when I had just left the RN and was working in a local freezer food warehouse.

There were often broken packets of prawns in the freezer and in those days no-one other than the Salmon anglers seemed to use them. They were an instant bait and the Chub on the Lee and the Kennet went bonkers for them.
Nowerdays the Chub are more likely to have seen them already so it's possible that bites may not be quite as violent as they used to be.
(or maybe they will be) :)

After a lot of experimenting (because of having several masked hooks etc.) I used to hook them as in the pic below and found that the chub would almost rip the rod out of my hands they took so violently.

I remember an afternoon on Dobbs wier where all of the marked swims were taken and I had to wade out next to the sunken barge, In less than an hour I had had 4 or 5 nice Chub while everyone else were struggling, and I started to share my prawns with guys either side of me, and they too started to catch Chub.

So on a good day good peeled prawns can be deadly as long as they aren't the cheap type that have had all of their juices boiled out of them Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

davebhoy

Reaction score
I did very well on trotted prawn last winter, not so well in the same spots thus winter, probably like Keith said because they wouldn't have seen them before but have become a bit wary now.

ken more

Reaction score
Someone once told me that prawns were "deadly" for Tench also. I tried them several times and caught absolutely nothing:eek:mg::) I think they also said tip the hook with a single maggot? Anyway, same result:D

davebhoy

Reaction score
Someone once told me that prawns were "deadly" for Tench also. I tried them several times and caught absolutely nothing:eek:mg::) I think they also said tip the hook with a single maggot? Anyway, same result:D

The best bait for tench in one of the small lakes I fish with the added bonus of an occasional large perch

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
With others struggling, I've had some reasonable still water carp on hair rigged prawn, mainly in late autumn using scattered bits of same from time to time as attractors, although never enough to overfeed. Problem is, several fish followed by numerous blanks over the course of a week in settled weather....

Takes are vicious, though!