Specimen Fish

steve2

Reaction score
What do you is now class as a specimen fish? The angling press is always full of stories of big fish but what do you call a specimen.
To me any pike in double figures is a specimen, Chub of 4lbs, Roach or Rudd of 1lb, barbel 7lbs, Perch of 2lbs. Carp would have to be over 25lbs because of how they are now stocked.
I know it would also depend on where you live but how do you now view specimen sizes?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't much care what's considered a specimen by anyone else. I know what constitutes a decent size for the area and the waters I fish. I'm well aware that in most instances the better fish I might catch are insignificant on a national scale. I gave up worrying about that before I left my teens behind.

rich66

Reaction score
To me it's a decent sized fish for the area, or simply one that's in tip top condition. I've never been one for seeking out the biggest fish simply happy with what comes along on the day.
I'm easily pleased where fish are concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
For me a specimen sized fish is a fish that is well above the average size for the water I am currently fishing.

A 4lb Tench may be classed as a specimen in one water but in another water where the Tench tend to grow a lot larger a specimen sized Tench may at least twice the size.

In general though If I had to put a figure to a so called 'specimen', based on the waters that I often fish it would probably be:

A 1.75lb-plus Roach
A 1.75lb-plus Rudd
A 9lb-plus Barbel
A 20lb-plus Carp
A 15lb-plus Pike (I don't fish for Pike very often Lol.)
A 2.5lb-plus Crucian
A 5lb-plus Chub
A 3lb-plus Perch
A 1lb-plus Dace
A 3oz Gudgeon
A 6 to 7lb-plus Tench

I've caught plenty of larger specimens in some of the venues that I fish but I would class the above as the average specimen size in some of the more average types of waters that I currently fish, and definately fish that would put a smile on my face wherever I caught them.

These figures go up or down depending on the water I am fishing at the time.

Keith

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I suppose it should be about rarity. Ideally a "specimen" roach should be about as rare as a "specimen" tench or whatever else.

That rarity would depend upon region, or the waters available to fish. Successful specimen hunters are probably just very good at finding the elusive waters that contain those fish - whether from their research and walking the banks to their network of fishing mates sharing similar aims. They will be bothered enough to drive the 150 mile round trip or join expensive syndicates.

For pleasure anglers like me the target weight of the tench, roach, chub etc that i fish for will be a lot lower. I am happy to get amongst the best fish in the water i am fishing.

When i have stumbled across waters with "real" specimen fish it has been exciting but i was left with a feeling afterwards that those 8Ib tench and bream were not any more difficult to catch than say those 1Ib roach from the local river. The more i fished the specimen lake the more specimen fish i caught. At that water only a double figure tench was truly notable as a rarity.

john step

Reaction score
For me a specimen sized fish is a fish that is well above the average size for the water I am currently fishing.

A 4lb Tench may be classed as a specimen in one water but in another water where the Tench tend to grow a lot larger a specimen sized Tench may be much larger.

In general though If I had to put a figure to a so called 'specimen' It would probably be:

A 1.75lb-plus Roach
A 1.75lb Rudd
A 9lb-plus Barbel
A 20lb-plus Carp
A 15lb-plus Pike (I don't catch many Lol.)
A 2.5lb-plus Crucian
A 5lb-plus Chub
A 3lb-plus Perch
A 1lb-plus Dace
A 3oz Gudgeon

Keith

I like the answers given previously by all. Keith its interesting the feeling about a specimen fish being location orientated.

In your list some are easy (ish) in my venues and some are impossible. (ish)
Just goes to show about enjoying what you have got locally.
I am not that competitive to want the next PB all the time or bust like some of my acquaintances.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
What do you is now class as a specimen fish? The angling press is always full of stories of big fish but what do you call a specimen.
To me any pike in double figures is a specimen, Chub of 4lbs, Roach or Rudd of 1lb, barbel 7lbs, Perch of 2lbs. Carp would have to be over 25lbs because of how they are now stocked.
I know it would also depend on where you live but how do you now view specimen sizes?

This would obviously be just my personal view but barring in mind that I generally only fish waters that are renowned for big fish over the last few years :D

This would be my specimen list :

Roach 2 lb
Rudd 2 lb
Dace 12oz
Perch 3 lb
Chub 5 lb
Barbel 9 lb
Grayling 2 lb
Tench 7 lb
Bream 8 lb
Crucian 2.5 lb
Carp 25 lb
Pike 15 lb

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score

I have now caught my first specimen fish with my recent roach. I am happy with any fish in truth. Chub, barbel and grayling of any size are now on my wish list!

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I suppose it should be about rarity. Ideally a "specimen" roach should be about as rare as a "specimen" tench or whatever else.

That rarity would depend upon region, or the waters available to fish. Successful specimen hunters are probably just very good at finding the elusive waters that contain those fish - whether from their research and walking the banks to their network of fishing mates sharing similar aims. They will be bothered enough to drive the 150 mile round trip or join expensive syndicates.

For pleasure anglers like me the target weight of the tench, roach, chub etc that i fish for will be a lot lower. I am happy to get amongst the best fish in the water i am fishing.

When i have stumbled across waters with "real" specimen fish it has been exciting but i was left with a feeling afterwards that those 8Ib tench and bream were not any more difficult to catch than say those 1Ib roach from the local river. The more i fished the specimen lake the more specimen fish i caught. At that water only a double figure tench was truly notable as a rarity.

Very true mate, like yer way of thinking :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

I have now caught my first specimen fish with my recent roach. I am happy with any fish in truth. Chub, barbel and grayling of any size are now on my wish list!

Nice one Mike, I surly hope that you forfill yer next fishing ambition, well done on yer PB roach,

Be lucky mate :thumbs:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It depends on the venue I am fishing. One water I fisha 7lb Tench isn't a specimen but a Tench of 8lb would be. 7lbTench on other waters would be a specimen.
With Dace being in very big decline on many rivers a fish of 8ozs would be a specimen, but a Dace of 12 ozs is a specimen anywhere.
Now days I am happy catching fish if I get any specimen I am happy,

robtherake

Reaction score
Irrespective of size, every now and again a fish comes along whose appearance is so pleasing to the eye that it hardly matters what size it is. Some of the carp I caught last summer had arrangements of iridescent scales on the wrist of the tail rivalling any Maori tattoo - like they were all part of the same finny tribe. There's a bombhole, close to a past haunt of mine, which is no longer than six feet, no wider than three, but quite deep. It contains a number of rudd of such a vivid orange hue that they wouldn't be out of place in a tropical fish tank. None are bigger than a few ounces, though the ones we caught and transferred to "our" pond grew bigger and yet more impressive.

WRT my own bests - many of which I'll freely admit were isolated captures - it's nice to get the results and hard to beat the excitement when a biggy goes on the scales, but it's not the be all and end all, I'm happy to say.

Of course, the fish have to be present at specimen size in order to be caught. To this day, the best fish I ever caught (as a spotty teenager) was from the pond mentioned earlier. The place was tiny - no more than 30 yards by 15, say, and I loved to catch the tricky crucians from there, fish no bigger than 8oz tops, until the magical day when I had one of 1-12, a veritable denizen, shining in its golden mail coat. Even better, I had witnesses, and we crowded round, agog with wonder at the glittering prize. In all honesty, I can't think of a catch that gave me greater pleasure.:)

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Irrespective of size, every now and again a fish comes along whose appearance is so pleasing to the eye that it hardly matters what size it is.
Yep, the smallest tinca I've ever caught tight to the marginal reeds of a secluded woodland pond whilst fishing for crues.............;)
liltinca26may16_zpsyuv3cice.jpg

Philip

Reaction score
Pretty much the list as when I was a kid ... although I have stuck an extra 5lb on Carp nowadays ...

Barbel 10.0
Bream 10.0
Catfish (Wels) 20.0
Carp 25.0
Chub 5.0
Cr Carp 2.8
Dace 0.12
Eel 5.0
Perch 2.8
Pike 20.0
Roach 2.0
Rudd 2.0
Tench 8.0
Zander 10.0

Keith M

Reaction score
OK I've smashed the Gudgeon, yeah baby! :D

So have I, lots of times :). but I don't think I've weighed one for years, in fact not since I used to fish winter leagues on the canal back in the late 90s when one donk could be worth points :)

Keith

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Hmm. I still haven't caught a specimen based upon that. My pbs are all pretty modest really (actually I don't really keep a list).

Maybe this will be the year. But to be honest if I don't, it won't be the end of the world.

B

binka

But to be honest if I don't, it won't be the end of the world.

I honestly think that's the best way Hugh.

For years I deliberately never carried scales as I didn't want to get involved in the weight to enjoyment ratio, my enjoyment of my fishing is far more important than any weight and the two don't necessarily go hand in hand in my experience.

My biggest ever perch, which I estimated at around 3-12, came on such a session and it has recently transpired that I may well have had roach knocking on, if not, 3lb.

Am I in any way disappointed that I don't know the exact weight?

No not really, I still caught 'em and appreciated 'em on face value.

I will concede that I was glad to have been fishing with a friend who had scales on the one occasion that I broke the 30lb pike barrier although I would still have judged it as just that had it not been weighed.

I do carry scales nowadays but rarely use 'em, it's only to know when I've broken the 4lb perch barrier :D