Pole convert

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've always been and will always be a fan of the running line (rod.and reel) but last year I was given a 6m middy white knuckle margin pole

And now I've found I quite like pole fishing but within reason

The set up takes a minute and you are fishing so for short winter session I've become a pike convert

mikench

Reaction score
Can you catch a pike on a pole? Whilst I can resist everything except temptation, I will not be using a pole anytime soon! I have yet to master the rod and reel:(

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm struggling to remember the last time I went pole fishing. It's not my preferred method. However, that doesn't mean that I can't acknowledge that it can be the most productive method in some circumstances. It may not be something I do regularly, but I invariably enjoy a successful day fishing the pole just as much as I do any other method.

coooky

Reaction score
to me the pole is a method i dont like tried it a few times and always prefer the waggler of feeder/method its just too cumbersome to hold a pole all day and i even had a clever claw not nice fishing to me but thats my view

sagalout

Reaction score
I really enjoy the pole and the accuracy that goes with, I hate all the extra paraphernalia that I seem to take with the pole, but at the end of the day the I suffer the paraphernalia in exchange for the improvement in my results.

I have now owned 4 poles and all the stuff that goes with them because after a while I think "can't be doing with all the extras" and then after a while of not having a pole I think "I want another pole", so I get one. This time I am going to keep it.

trotter2

Reaction score
I went through a spell when I fished nothing but the pole for years
Returned back to a running line in the end .

Its each to there own mate.
Just enjoy it that's the most important thing.:thumbs:

terry m

Reaction score
Piking on a pole is an interesting concept.

I must confess I have never used a pole, and in honesty have never had any wish to use one.

If fishing was limited to using poles, I would take up golf.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm a convert. In certain situations and for certain species I've found it better in terms of presentation & bite conversion than running line. I actually quite enjoy doing fishing one too.

I must add that I don't own a really long one and I wouldn't dream of using it if I was expecting lumps but for my crucian and occasional roach fishing on stillwaters its now my go to method.

john step

Reaction score
His Lordship once mentioned on here he was dyslexic so my guess its not PIKE but POLE that should have been typed.
Apologies if I am wrong.:)

sagalout

Reaction score
His Lordship once mentioned on here he was dyslexic so my guess its not PIKE but POLE that should have been typed.
Apologies if I am wrong.:)
I think you have to treat every M'lud types with a punch of silt :)

It is nice to see you posting M'lud, your absence of late has been noted.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I can see the usefulness of a pole such as the accuracy of float placement in particular - being "able to reach parts that other methods cannot reach". But the method generally leaves me cold. Only a short whip and some gudgeon bashing swinging in to hand perhaps appeals to me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The advantages of better presentation are unarguable when pole fishing.

Coupled with the correct elastication then much finer terminal rigs are possible giving an advantageous over a running line. Add to that the simplicity and the ability to place a bait exactly where you want it and it is difficult to find the negatives.

seth49

Reaction score
Tried using one a few times, ok for small fish, just couldn't get on with it for bigger fish, just didn't feel in control,

I will stick to rod and reel thanks, old dog and new tricks comes to mind.

greenie62

Reaction score
...Coupled with the correct elastication then much finer terminal rigs are possible giving an advantageous over a running line....

Generally in agreement with you over the point - but what's the correct elastic and terminal rig when targetting 1-2+ lb Roach in my local commercial - which has hungry 5-25lb carp in it? :eek:
At least with a running line and reel you've got a 'fighting chance'! :D:eek:mg:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Greenie, this came out 2 years ago and it's perfect for silver fish....

Daiwa Hydrolastic Hydro Elastic New Yellow Silvers Rated 3 - 5 MWHYLW | eBay

This stuff is really hard wearing and won't get ragged by the stonfo. I also use Preston slip no4/5 orange but it needs changing regularly, incidentally it was with this one I landed a carp yesterday.
My opinion is if you're fishing for roach fish for them. If you're fishing for carp use a heavy rig and 12 to 20 elastic. It's an occupational hazard hooking carp but the worse that can happen is your rig gets trashed or you lose your hook.

greenie62

Reaction score
....My opinion is if you're fishing for roach fish for them. If you're fishing for carp use a heavy rig and 12 to 20 elastic. It's an occupational hazard hooking carp but the worse that can happen is your rig gets trashed or you lose your hook.

Or - as I saw happen last week - have the top 4 sections go for a cruise around the lake! :D:D
Unfortunately I didn't have a spare one of your BA Awards to give him! :eek: We rescued the top4 from the opposite margins where it had gone to hide with embarassment!:eek:

?Avoiding Carp when roach fishing? - feed them off with a pile of boilies? :):confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
My experience is similar to Peter's, fish appropriately for whatever you are actually targeting. You've just got to accept the reduced chance of landing unwanted big fish.

In that respect, it's no different to using a rod and line. If I'm targeting roach with rod and line, I don't use a carp rod (or even an Avon or barbel rod), and matching heavy line, just because there's a chance of connecting with a 20lb+ carp.

It's also been my experience that you stand as much chance of landing the unexpected bonus fish when fishing light with a pole as you do with a similarly light rod and line. Both can be pretty hairy experience. I suspect that feeling more or less in control with pole or rod will come down to your skill and experience with either.

Despite having far greater experience of rod and line compared to pole angling, I've actually landed bigger fish on lighter lines (18lb carp on a 1.5lb bottom) with a pole than I have with rod and line. I would concede that a fair dollop of luck was involved, but that's always the case when a large fish is hooked on light line, regardless of the method.