Grippa styx

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Hi
For the past few years i have been using preston stotz for all my pole rigs and been quite happy with them. I then was given a tub of Dismores grippa styx so thought waste not want not so i will us them. I was amazed how much smoother when you move them on the line they are compared to stotz. They look the same but believe me they are not. Any thoughts guys??

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
I've been using the Dinsmore Selecta Styx - dispensor and applicator kit - for the last year now since my clumsy old fingers and eyes can't cope with shot any smaller than 6s! Once I got the hang of tapping the dispensor to align the styx groove on the rail I found it reasonably easy to apply them.
It also helps if you moisten the line slightly to slide the styx into position - not sure if this really helps but makes me feel more comfortable! :eek:

Don't know about the Grippa Styx - but their Selecta Styx (8-11s) are all the same diameter so that they all work with the same applicator - the only difference between them is in the length of the styx.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have been using them in the .1,.2 and .3g sizes for the last 6 or 7 months but me being very observant didn't realise they did them in the smaller sizes. I like the ones I have been using so I will try the smaller ones when my stotz need topping up.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've been using Grippa Styx for a couple of seasons or so now and I rather like them. The biggest issue I have with them is that they can be a little difficult to get hold of at the right price. The only other thing I could note is that, for a tightwad like me, they don't stand up brilliantly to repeated use. The hinge seems to soften up a bit too much after a couple of openings. However, this probably isn't a great deal different to any normal non-toxic shot.

thecrow

Reaction score
Just been watching a video on these with Dave Harrel, they look to be just what I need but just one question, after tapping until one appears on the rail do the others that have come out go back into the container easily?

rayner

Reaction score
Hi Steve,
I've been using the Dinsmore Selecta Styx - dispensor and applicator kit - for the last year now since my clumsy old fingers and eyes can't cope with shot any smaller than 6s! Once I got the hang of tapping the dispensor to align the styx groove on the rail I found it reasonably easy to apply them.
It also helps if you moisten the line slightly to slide the styx into position - not sure if this really helps but makes me feel more comfortable! :eek:

Don't know about the Grippa Styx - but their Selecta Styx (8-11s) are all the same diameter so that they all work with the same applicator - the only difference between them is in the length of the styx.

Are the Selector Styx in sizes below 8s lead or non toxic please.

greenie62

Reaction score
Are the Selector Styx in sizes below 8s lead or non toxic please.

Sorry - don't know - the site doesn't explicitly say - nor do I have the original packaging material. In the sizes - there's no need for them to be anything other than lead! The Grippa Styx proudly declare themselves to be non-toxic!:eek:

..... after tapping until one appears on the rail do the others that have come out go back into the container easily?

Yeah - no prob - even I can manage to persuade them to conserve themselves!:D

lambert1

Reaction score
I used them this season after picking some up cheap. Like Sam I have found them difficult to re-use too many times, but find them to be much kinder to line than shot and they are easier for my my fingers too.:D

rayner

Reaction score
Sorry - don't know - the site doesn't explicitly say - nor do I have the original packaging material. In the sizes - there's no need for them to be anything other than lead! The Grippa Styx proudly declare themselves to be non-toxic!:eek:

Sorry for the late reply, not quite been around.
I had a on line and the smaller sizes are soft lead. The larger sizes must be non toxic.
Will try them in the smaller sizes, they will definitely be good for me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Crow, I only use the sizes 8 and bigger. I've bought multi-size dispensers and refill tubs. I've never seen tweezers for them and none of the tubs I've bought have had anythin with them.

rayner

Reaction score
Crow, I only use the sizes 8 and bigger. I've bought multi-size dispensers and refill tubs. I've never seen tweezers for them and none of the tubs I've bought have had anythin with them.

The only reason for me buying the selector stix is the applicator, I too have not been able to find one so I've been holding fire from buying.
Perhaps I may not find one. Local tackle shops certainly don't stock them.

robcourt82

Reaction score
Do the stonfo style pincers not work with them? I use them with styles shot and stotz without any problems.

thecrow

Reaction score
Had a very quick response from Dinsmores, this is it below.

Our Selecta-Styx is an applicator that allows you to easily apply Styx in sizes 8 9 10 12

One pair of pincers are included with each Selecta-Styx applicator.

RRP is £5.99

Available from tackle dealers & online fishing tackle stores.

You can see a video of the product on our website.