Weed !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A lot of you seen I'm looking for a new venue to join day tickets do get expensive after a while !

Around my area there is mainly gravel pits , can anyone give me any advice what is best way to fish a weedy pit if I'm not alowed to rake it ?

Would be ideally after tench but carp are fine so would be using 2 rods one with a maggot feeder on

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd guess you'd need a rather long rope on your rake if you were allowed to rake
a gravel pit, unless it's right in the margins they normally go quite deep.

thecrow

Reaction score
Decide what club you are joining, decide what water you want to fish, spend 2/3 days mapping the water finding where the weed beds are, one found fish the clear spots next to weed beds, don't always fish baits right next to weed beds as that's what everyone else will be doing fish them a distance from the edges of them.

At different times of the year the weed will be fairly light, at these times it can pay to fish with your end tackle including the lead in a PVA bag and casting on top of the weed, lots of gravel pit fish live in weed don't be afraid to fish in it if they are on the feed they will find it.

You can if you persevere get the fish to create clear spots that others wont know about so long as you are prepared to put the time and bait into doing it but don't let others see you doing it, there are always those that will jump onto the back of others work.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Decide what club you are joining, decide what water you want to fish, spend 2/3 days mapping the water finding where the weed beds are, one found fish the clear spots next to weed beds, don't always fish baits right next to weed beds as that's what everyone else will be doing fish them a distance from the edges of them.

At different times of the year the weed will be fairly light, at these times it can pay to fish with your end tackle including the lead in a PVA bag and casting on top of the weed, lots of gravel pit fish live in weed don't be afraid to fish in it if they are on the feed they will find it.

You can if you persevere get the fish to create clear spots that others wont know about so long as you are prepared to put the time and bait into doing it but don't let others see you doing it, there are always those that will jump onto the back of others work.

Very true and wise words :thumbs:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I got a membership for swindon Isis they got a pit they call no1 . In the summer it's a tad weedy let's say , only bought myself a marker rod around Xmas once weather warms up il go over there . I would mainly be going for tench so be using my 1.5lb rods .

It does say something when been told by Brian jarett from hinders fishing superstore who a very big carp angler and he said he never had much from there . It could be hard for the carp !

Would 1.5 lb rods be too light for small solid pva bags ?

Also once summer in full swing what do you do if you can't find many clear spots as know a lake which is like that in the summer . The weed is even thick on it now !

flightliner

Reaction score
If its carp that you want just pva bag up and cast it into the weed,especially if its canadiam pond weed .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Mainly after the tench but don't mind the carp either , guessing my 1.5lb rods not man enough for big bags ?

mikench

Reaction score
Matt i would steer clear of weed man;) Look what it did to Dylan the rabbit in Magic Roundabout! Hey cool man:)

Keith M

Reaction score
If you want your hook to be able to make it to the bottom without getting caught up in the weed you can always try the foam PVA nuggets that you bury your hook into, it stops your hook from being snagged as it sinks through the weed and then dissolves leaving the hook and bait lying weed free on the bottom.
See pic below :

Otherwise look for slightly deeper spots where there is usually less weed growth because the light can't penetrate quite as well

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Great idea , have got some of them gives of where hook is exactly once floats up

thecrow

Reaction score
Mainly after the tench but don't mind the carp either , guessing my 1.5lb rods not man enough for big bags ?

It is possible to cast small bags with a lead of say one and a half ounces in it with those rods but its more of a lobbed cast using a long drop from the rod rather than the usual punched out cast.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i have now been told the lake is a mature old pit and not a great deal of angling pressure and naturals work the best . now im stumped !

pellets dont work apparently , if after the carp and tench guess maggots and casters best to start ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i surpose its best fished these in a pva bag but what about corn dissolving bags ? or would best get a few spods out if too far and some corm worm etc on hook ? if closer guess browncrum to act as a carrier ?

and guessing best go smaller hook size ?

swizzle

Reaction score
i have now been told the lake is a mature old pit and not a great deal of angling pressure and naturals work the best . now im stumped !

pellets dont work apparently , if after the carp and tench guess maggots and casters best to start ?

You'd be hard pressed to find a better early spring bait than Lobworm for tench. Some of my best days tenching have been whilst using lobs as bait, I have had days when it's all they would look at, ignored maggot, corn, meat and casters.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
so never go tench fishing without worms casters and maggots then but as water warms up bring the sweetcorn out i take it