A new toy....

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
....is on it's way.

I've just sold a couple of ridiculously expensive Carp Rods (that I inherited) and am using the proceeds to buy my first seatbox - a Preston Onbox Series 5 3D.

The intention is to use at my local club complex where several of the lakes really lend themselves to fishing from a box.

I don't intend to go the full Pole Fishing route but rather plan to use it for waggler and feeder fishing. Maybe enter into a few matches for fun - we'll see.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hi there fella,

Sounds like yer gonna be getting a nice box, hope you get the best out of it and enables you to fish more comfortably and efficiently :thumbs:

Be lucky mate

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Thanks TM.

I'm hoping I haven't made a bad decision going with the Preston. I know there are much cheaper boxes out there but I guess I'm thinking that if it turns out that if I hate fishing from a box then it'll hold its resale value. Also looking at various boxes in the flesh the Onbox seemed to be pretty well put together and looked like value for money.

Does anyone on here use the Preston Onbox who could comment? Also any tips on setting it up etc would be welcomed. What is the most essential accessory for a box (no Pole fishing though)?

bracket

Reaction score
Thanks TM.

I'm hoping I haven't made a bad decision going with the Preston. I know there are much cheaper boxes out there but I guess I'm thinking that if it turns out that if I hate fishing from a box then it'll hold its resale value. Also looking at various boxes in the flesh the Onbox seemed to be pretty well put together and looked like value for money.

Does anyone on here use the Preston Onbox who could comment? Also any tips on setting it up etc would be welcomed. What is the most essential accessory for a box (no Pole fishing though)?

I have used one ten years now for stillwater fishing. It has never let me down. A comment I would make is that it is heavy, so for me the most essential accessory was a trolley. Pete.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used the Preston Box for many years and have never had a problem.

The range of accessories is excellent but as has already been mentioned the weight can be a drawback. Regardless I would not change mine.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I picked up the box today and am pretty impressed with the build quality/finish of it. Obviously that's purely an impression based on what I can see - I haven't used it yet.

A few questions though if I may.....

Firstly, in order to be comfortable I've set the box height so that the distance between the top of the foot-plate and the top of the seat allows me to sit comfortably. I've also kept everything as low as possible (for stability). This then means that the top of the legs is some distance below the top of the box, meaning that any side trays/bait waiter etc are quite a reach down. Do I just get a spacer bar or am I doing something wrong.

Secondly, slightly related to the first question, do people tend to leave the front box legs which also connect to the platform fixed, and then use the rear legs and the platform legs to level the box on the bank?