Collapsing chair leg

mikench

Reaction score
My chair has the usual spring loaded retractable legs to raise and lower. One at the back will still not stay extended when I sit on it. I cannot see any form of adjustment so wonder of any of the clever folk on here have a solution other than buy a new chair!:)

The sudden drop in altitude is clearly affecting my fishing:wh

thecrow

Reaction score
If its the "lever" type take the leg out including the plate and the spring turn the plate over and reinstall into the chair, I did this to my own chair and its lasted well.

seth49

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my carp barrow, the legs wouldn't stop in the right place, tipped every thing of a couple of times, so I put the legs in the best position and drilled through it, and put a rivet in.

Might be awkward with a chair if you need the adjustment to level it up on your peg, but it will work. And cheaper than a new chair, can recommend the korum chairs never had a problem with mine, good kit is korum.

mikench

Reaction score
It is the lever type i.e a lever compresses the spring allowing the leg to extend or retract but I cannot see any means of taking the leg off. How did you manage it Mr Crow?

The leg is off but I cannot remove the leg from the clamp which houses the spring and the lever! Does it require brute force!!!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
The chair was a present over a year ago and bought from Amazon. It's a Robo chair made by Middy/Kodex and apart from this problem it's great.;)

I think I have fixed it following the advice from Crow. The leg just pulls off with a little elbow grease and the aluminium section can be pulled allowing the spring and the lever which compresses it to be removed. I turned the lever over and reassembled. So far so good. Cheers Crow!!

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
If its the "lever" type take the leg out including the plate and the spring turn the plate over and reinstall into the chair, I did this to my own chair and its lasted well.

I had the same problem and fixed it the same way. As I recall it was Brother Lout who first posted this most excellent solution. It can help to touch up the edge of the plate before reassembling.

iain t

Reaction score

Had the same problem. I fixed it the same way

flightliner

Reaction score
Had the same problem in the past . How they work is the plate that crow says to turn over is cropped in production giving it a sharp edge that "bites" onto the softer aluminum leg.
After a time it becomes dull and cant "bite" causing the leg to give way under load, reversing the plate allows it to continue working as intended.
A further precaution that I've done to my chair is to remove the offending leg and put tiny saw cuts at close intervals up n down the alli tubing with a junior hacksaw for the plates edge to bite into , not onto -- sorted -- works a treat.

Last edited:

joshua

Reaction score
If it happens again you could try going for a run or something;). Only kidding mate.