A simple guide to making a diary and keeping records

theartist

Reaction score
Following the interest in the fishing journal thread I thought put up a few ways of keeping records. Of course there's many ways of doing it depending on the style of fishing you do and the time you want to spend doing it but it is quite easy and jolly good fun. It's nice to look back at the good, the not so good and those weird days with a cold beer when you're stuck indoors.:w

On the bank

All records start on the bank so some paper is ideal or an old notebook and a camera is a must as you can add nice photos when you get home, doesn't have to be an expensive one. I use a small digital that fits in my jacket pocket, ready to take a picture of anything that catches the eye.

chart1b.jpg

View image in gallery

Due to the way I fish I just write down each fish in order and if they are any size, the weight underneath. I just jot down R - for roach P - for perch etc this way I get a sequence and I'll know how many of each species I have caught and if there's a venue pb when I get home. The options are endless as to how to enter your catches and If you're a specimen hunter you can add air and water temperatures, wind direction, time, air pressure, baits, techniques, swim name etc etc it's your records after all. I just keep it simple for now as i'm usually standing in a river somewhere.

The Album

When your at home either the next day or the weekend it takes half an hour to put it in your album. Mine is old school, just a standard scrapbook from Rymans and some Prittstick is needed. There are some excellent computer programs out there for the more tech minded but I like the simplicity of a paper album and that it can always be picked up as and when.

On each page goes the date and the venue, then you can enter the catch records that you took on the bank, my sequence gets written out in full and is colour coded, why the latter? Well because I can :). The total also gets entered. Hows your one going to look with all the other factors you can add? Pretty good I reckon

Then comes the photos, I always make sure i've taken some even when the fishing is bad there's always some good wildlife of scenery to snap at and a bit of both is always good. Print them out the size you like, use as many pages as you like, maybe two pages for a good day, half a page for a standard day when your just wetting a line etc. I leave a bit of room for a little write up about events during the trip, depending on what happened and how creative i'm feeling this can be a short paragraph or a full blown chapter and verse.

You can have an album for each season which can help with future trips but most of all is good to look back on and rewarding. If you are thinking of keeping records give it a go in your own style but make it fun.

End of season records.

Most of us have got records like P.B.s and venues bests so why not make a nice book of them too. I have a database saved but once again like to look at them now and then on paper. For this I use and old atlas and am able to stick records of the different rivers i've visited next to them on the map. This is handy to look at when your next on holiday in a certain area. Plus you can compare one water with the one down the road. Due to the size restrictions I keep it simple - the total, most in one day and biggest fish for each species.

At the back of the atlas I got carried away and made small maps for all my venues, they are just stuck in with blue tack so they can be moved, once again its the same three categories but anything could be added.

They you go, a bit geeky but hey it's fun give it a go

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very nice Rob! At my rate I would only need one sheet:rolleyes:

I'd need more than one sheet because i'd most likely finish up blowing me nose on it or possibly much worse :wh:.

mikench

Reaction score
That is not an image I would like to dwell on Ian;) brings a whole new perspective to having a trot

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice ideas Artist, actually that's what I missed, a more personalized journal, wish I had done that as well as my data thing when I started, one for the brain and one for the soul.

theartist

Reaction score
Nice ideas Artist, actually that's what I missed, a more personalized journal, wish I had done that as well as my data thing when I started, one for the brain and one for the soul.

I only started doing it this way about five seasons ago. Like you there are sessions back in the day that I haven't chronicled that live now only in the memory.

Philip

Reaction score
Now thats a keenie! I am impressed artist...and i can imagine its very rewarding to look back through. I wish i was motivated to do the same. The trouble for me is that many of my sessions are so short i would literally spend more time doing the notes than fishing.

Doesnt stop me being dead jealous of your efforts however!:)

theartist

Reaction score
Looks a very good system!
But I have to ask - why do you ignore the Gade, yet subject yourself to half the M25 to fish the Cray?

Ha ha I could never ignore the Gade Alan, it's just out of shot and on the map photo. I've just checked my records and they show i've caught 28076 fish from it as of the end of last season, which is pretty ridiculous. If anything i'm too familiar with the old girl and love trying out new ones even if they are a little rough and ready.

As for the m25 well yeah well the end justifies the means I guess :)

---------- Post added at 01:47 ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 ----------

Now thats a keenie! I am impressed artist...and i can imagine its very rewarding to look back through. I wish i was motivated to do the same. The trouble for me is that many of my sessions are so short i would literally spend more time doing the notes than fishing.

Doesnt stop me being dead jealous of your efforts however!:)

Short sessions are the perfect way to start and you will fine tune your records after a few years. Going back to the Gade - In the summer I set a new record for the most dace in one day and this was despite the river being a shadow of it's former self for almost every other species. I was pleased when I found out and It's little things like this that make keeping records so worth it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"i've caught 28076 fish from it as of the end of last season"

Ster-rooth!!! I'd have thought that was all of them seven tines over, minnows included!
I'm still at the stage at which it keeps surprising me.

theartist

Reaction score
"i've caught 28076 fish from it as of the end of last season"

Ster-rooth!!! I'd have thought that was all of them seven tines over, minnows included!
I'm still at the stage at which it keeps surprising me.

Just realised my dad's figures contribute to that as I used to include his tallys when we went together, oops! Plus back in the day it was the only river we fished due to ease of access by train and there's over 30 years of fishing it.

Never counted minnows, gudgeon or bleak would get R.S.I. doing that on some waters