Memorable bad habits...

B

binka

I was thinking back earlier over some of the 'tips' I was shown as a kid and which I cringe at now that I know better.

The one which stood out the most was passing the line through the eye of the float twice so that it needed no shot to lock it and it could be easily adjusted, that made a right mess of the line which wasn't that great to start with back then.

All of my bad habits these days tend to be self cultivated :eek:mg:

What bad habits were you shown and do any persist to this day?

Philip

Reaction score
Full blood knot to join my backing to my mainline.

Not sure if its really a bad habit as such as its rare I ever get down to the backing but there are better knots out there.

I was shown it as a kid by a school teacher on Dungerness beach who used to organize fishing trips for us from time to time. For some reason I continue to use it today. I remember him telling me to make sure I trimmed the ends very short so it would not catch on the rest of the line.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking back earlier over some of the 'tips' I was shown as a kid and which I cringe at now that I know better.

The one which stood out the most was passing the line through the eye of the float twice so that it needed no shot to lock it and it could be easily adjusted, that made a right mess of the line which wasn't that great to start with back then.

All of my bad habits these days tend to be self cultivated :eek:mg:

What bad habits were you shown and do any persist to this day?

I used to do that n'all Steve, I used to move the float without pushing the line to open up the loop and it was a crinkly mess.

I used to tie hooks on with numerous granny knots and very often the hook stuck out sideways lol.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Fishing wagglers top and bottom,

Tying eyed hooks with multiple granny knots

And probably the worst in being shown the wrong way to tie what we'd class a simple loop knot, I was to fold a loop of line over and tie a simple over hand not which is in effect actually wrong :eek: all this done was just mearly slip and proved to be useless :rolleyes:

The correct way is to loop over the line and tie with a figure if eight basically tacking the loop around the back of the collar
( mainline ) twice and back through,

A subtle little difference but the right way,

Nowadays I use loop to loop all of the time for when attaching me hook lengths for when I'm trotting :D

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Never setting up my landing net prior to fishing and then hooking something angrier than SKippy first cast.....:wh:eek:mg:

seth49

Reaction score
Persisting with the old tucked half blood knot, which worked fine with the older types of nylon line, and yet just pulls apart with some of the new types of line.?

mikench

Reaction score
I thought all comments had to be fishing related!:wh

Mine are too numerous to mention I guess.:(

theartist

Reaction score
Given my weird way of doing things i'm loathe to say what my bad habits are in case I find out that's how it's supposed to be done. Now that would really confuse me.

We all go 'Yay Roacho' after we catch the first roach of the day right?

steve2

Reaction score
I to used the twice though the float eye method, still do sometimes. Used granny knots for eyed hooks not very neat but had no one to show me the correct way.
I have a lot of bad habits in my fishing but they are all self taught.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
```^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this :eek:mg: far too often, forgetting to pack lunch, bait, rods , reels, bank sticks etc etc you name it? i always seem to forget something..... no mater how much GB ive chucked in or how long its taken to get there n set up , if the fish dont show up quickly ill move to another spot/lake/river within a couple of hrs and try there, but, the biggest habit i have is............ putting off going fishing for stupid things like work n stuff:D

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Waiting for the float to go "under". Don't know why I still do it, but it doesn't seem to be a proper bite unless I do.

john step

Reaction score
Forgetting things. So much so that I have a tackle shop stashed in my car which includes a reel, catapult, rod rests, waterproofs, sweetcorn, pellets a folding trout landing net,spare clothes for my trips under the surface and a torch.:eek:mg::eek:mg:

theartist

Reaction score
Forgetting things. So much so that I have a tackle shop stashed in my car which includes a reel, catapult, rod rests, waterproofs, sweetcorn, pellets a folding trout landing net,spare clothes for my trips under the surface and a torch.:eek:mg::eek:mg:

And then you forget your rod :D

trotter2

Reaction score
Using a loop to tie a eyed hook on was one ,and the other which comes to mind is over feeding to start with. And lastly using a drilled bullet on a very snag ridden peg.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I have a variation on dorsetchub's mentioned landing net habit which got me a telling off once, which was that I packed up everything - landing net included - whilst leaving out that sleeper rod til last, just in case

Course, it went off when I'd got everything packed and in desperation, I asked the - much more experienced - fishermen next to me if he'd come and land it for me. It was a modest tench of three pounds or so. His point to me as we were releasing the fish was - what if I'd not been here and you hooked in to a 20lb carp? It was a gentle chide to be honest, but it stuck - and now the first thing out and the last thing away is the landing net.

I persisted with the half-blood knot with hooks for way to long. Many a lost fish too a curly pig's tail of line where the hook used to be. Palomar or knotless now all the way.

My last bad habit - which I confess I've never really cured myself of - is the inability to get organised whilst I'm fishing. I'm always in such a hurry to get a line cast that the process of setting up sees all of my gear unevenly distributed throughout the peg... and it always goes down hill from there. I've seen people with pegs that look like ideal homes, colour co-ordinated accessories all to hand in a well-organised order - whereas mine looks like a fly-tipping site. ONE DAY I will learn how to sort this out, maybe when I've retired and I feel like I've got a bit more time?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Forgetting deadbaits,picking up the wrong wellies,not checking the chair legs sre locked out properly and ending up looking at the sky to name but a few.

flightliner

Reaction score
Simply forgetting the odd items of tackle. On a day when I decide to have a change of species, venue, method etx I can find myself without the odd essential bit of kit.
Yesterday was a typical example as I found that i'd left a pair of digital scales in my lure bag from a day midweek, irksome - but No bream came my way big enough to require them sadly!!