Any Kamasan experts here?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the Kamasan B983 for a lot of my fishing, I'd like exactly the same hook with a spade end as opposed to the eyed I already have, a bit of a minefield attempting to go through the various Kamasan range, does anybody know if there is a spade end alternative?

rayner

Reaction score
I use a lot of eyed hooks and tie them knotless, have you tried this. At least then you'll have an hook you're happy with.

bracket

Reaction score
S63. If you are happy with the hook but not tying it through the eye, ignore the fact it is an eyed hook and tie it as a spade hook. I have done this in the past to no detriment. Pete.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice, not the reason for wanting an identical hook in spade end but one of the downsides I find with an eyed is the inability to use a disgorger successfully. I also like to bury the hook completely when using casters, for this I find a spade end better.

I've opted for the B560 which looks a close match.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hi mate,

I personally only ever use spade hooks, I don't like eyed hooks because I feel that the spade end hooks give a much better presentation over eyed hooks :thumbs:

one of me favourite kamasan spade paterns is the b520 :D

I use the b520 for all of me maggot and caster fishing as these are a light weight maggot hook,

I noticed that you mentioned the b560 hooks , these are actually my no: 1 hook for when fishing the punch or in larger sizes when using bread flake,
These 560 hooks are a light weight wide gape patern and are perfect for when using the bread.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice, not the reason for wanting an identical hook in spade end but one of the downsides I find with an eyed is the inability to use a disgorger successfully. I also like to bury the hook completely when using casters, for this I find a spade end better.

I've opted for the B560 which looks a close match.

If I wanted an hook for caster I would go for Tubertini or Gammakatsu.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the animals, they're spade ends and pretty wide gaped.
Failing that take a look at drennan super spades and their other hooks.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
If I wanted an hook for caster I would go for Tubertini or Gammakatsu.

Yep I absolutely agree, I also use the Tubertini range aswell, brilliant hooks :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

I use the animals, they're spade ends and pretty wide gaped.
Failing that take a look at drennan super spades and their other hooks.

Animals are ok Ian as being a strong patterned hook but I personally don't like the bright shiny nickell finish on em especially if I were fishing in shallow clear water.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Animals are ok Ian as being a strong patterned hook but I personally don't like the bright shiny nickell finish on em especially if I were fishing in shallow clear water.

Yeah TM, I get that bud and when a m8 of mine gave me one to try over a decade ago I thought the exact same thing as you. I imagined the shinny metal would put fish off but i'e found it doesn't, infact I think it may work the opposite way as I catch ok with them. It's easy enough to bury them into your bait anyhow and very often my hooks are invisible as I always fill 'em to the extreme ;).

Forgot to say my other favorite hooks are drennan super spades and they're a dull'ish colour.

rayner

Reaction score
Yeah TM, I get that bud and when a m8 of mine gave me one to try over a decade ago I thought the exact same thing as you. I imagined the shinny metal would put fish off but i'e found it doesn't, infact I think it may work the opposite way as I catch ok with them. It's easy enough to bury them into your bait anyhow and very often my hooks are invisible as I always fill 'em to the extreme ;).

Forgot to say my other favorite hooks are drennan super spades and they're a dull'ish colour.

Shiny hooks work very well when hemp fishing. I use Tubertini series 18 for hemp, they're a pale bronze hook with a shiny finish. I keep the fact they have a micro barb quiet because commercial owners/bailiffs are funny about barbs.;)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Yea Ian I suppose that there could actually be some truth there,

It's just something that has been stuck in me head for years :rolleyes:

Maybe time to give em a trial and this could also mean the Kammasan b611 hooks as well :D

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Shiny hooks work very well when hemp fishing. I use Tubertini series 18 for hemp, they're a pale bronze hook with a shiny finish. I keep the fact they have a micro barb quiet because commercial owners/bailiffs are funny about barbs.;)

Oh yea mate I quite agree with yer as virtually all of me hooks are bronze,

I was more so on about the nickell hooks that look like a bright shiny silver hook,

But as Ian has stated that he's had no problem with em so I may give these nickell hooks another trial, I suppose it's just a confidence thing really :D