Polarized Sunglasses

chrissh

Reaction score
I want to buy a new pair of Polarized Sunglasses for this summer what the best colour lenses for river /lake, any recommendations on make

barbelboi

Reaction score
For me it’s amber for cloudy days/low light and grey for bright sunshine. I also have a pair with blue lenses that are very good for fish spotting in certain conditions.

PS Flying fisherman are reasonably priced for their quality.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Amber - makes it look like it's that 'magic' time of the evening!
Again - I would reccomend Aldi - from about £4 - no tears if you lose/step* on them!
[*That was a note for Binka!]

The other possibility is to have words with your friendly local optician if you're a specs wearer! I've just had a pair of bifocals made up with polarising lenses, with the 'reading' section made at +4dioptres so that I can see to tie hooks etc without swopping specs!

B

binka

I've always done well with brown, I've had reasonably expensive pairs that have met with the fate that greenie mentions and I've had the cheapo Aldi ones too.

I would fully recommend the Aldi ones, just as good (if not better in one particular case) than some of the far more expensive ones.

If anyone notices them coming back into store could they post a heads up please?

john step

Reaction score
I wear vari focals and use clips on so as to be able to use my regular glasses.
They flip up without taking them off.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got loads of pairs. Personally I find the yellow [amber ?] lens colour best but I couldn't recommend a brand as I've not yet found one that I'm entirely happy with.

The nearest have been a pair of Smiths and a pair I won here on FM which were Polaroids....the brand Polaroid I mean. Not trendy but very good.

ken more

Reaction score
Also like the Aldi ones and for the price, better than many of the more expensive one's in my opinion. If you already wear glasses different colour clip on one's for about £1.50 do a reasonable job.

robtherake

Reaction score
Once the summer has gone by, some of the high street discount stores reduce their whole sunglasses section to just a pound or two. In amongst the cheap-and-nasties there are also polaroids, some discounted from £30 or more and in decent frames. I managed to catch Yorkshire Trading's end-of-season sale last year and ended up with a dozen or so pairs in all the popular lens colours for less than £20 for the lot.:cool:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
For me its gotta be Amber lenses for the majority of me fishing,

However the amber lenses are at there best when it's low light levels, IE spoting fish towards dusk on a summers evening :thumbs:

I normally get mine just down the road from me in Blue water, Kent for around £15.00 and are made by " eye level "

trotter2

Reaction score
The best ones I ever had were John Wilson ones, but there not available any more.:eek:mg:::
The Aldi ones are well worth the money
Best colour for me is amber :)

seth49

Reaction score
I have a pair of cocoons, must have had them ten years or more, there made to be worn over normal glasses, there still as good as new, they work well too, perfect for float fishing when there's a glare on the water.

And fish spotting as well, very good when floater fishing for carp. they weren't cheap, but they've been good value, lasting so long, still years left in them.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Just googled these, there now selling for £54.99, didn't realise they cost so much now, think mine were £25, still you get what you pay for, still think there worth it, there quality.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Aldi selling polarized glasses, is it a wind up?

Na mate, not a wind up.....when they've actually got em in stock there about £4.00

Admittedly I've not yet used em meself but can assure that I'm definitely gonna get a pair just simply to try out,

I've obviously already got good polarisers but the Aldi ones have surly gotta be worth a look :rolleyes:

Last edited:
B

binka

Aldi selling polarized glasses, is it a wind up?

They're good too Chris, I rate the lenses as good in terms of performance as the more expensive ones I've had and with a few different styles there's bound to be a pair that feels comfortable to wear and I generally don't tend to get on too well with glasses and comfort.

I've been buying 'em from Aldi for the last three years on and off, just wish I didn't break so many :eek:mg:

There's actually been a price hike, they used to be £3.50 :)

bullet

Reaction score
I use eyelevel ones in brown, tried the grey but prefer brown/amber.
As said about £15, decent quality, particularly the lenses which are surprisingly resistant to scratching.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have a pair of cocoons, must have had them ten years or more, there made to be worn over normal glasses, there still as good as new, they work well too, perfect for float fishing when there's a glare on the water.

And fish spotting as well, very good when floater fishing for carp. they weren't cheap, but they've been good value, lasting so long, still years left in them.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Just googled these, there now selling for £54.99, didn't realise they cost so much now, think mine were £25, still you get what you pay for, still think there worth it, there quality.

The pair I want to replace are Costa Del Mar I bought in 1998 in Canada for $150 they I have had 19 years of use out of the. Fishing, driving and holiday.

but to buy them here they are £150-200 plus

ill look at the cocoons.....I’m also thing of the changeable lenses type that you get 3 different colour lenses rather than having 3 set of sunglasses

mikench

Reaction score
I recently had an eye test and needed a new ( weaker) presciption; the only good thing I can currently think of of the ageing process! Anyway I had a new pair of Rayban sunglasses( need to at least look cool when I blank) with prescription polarised lenses. I use them all the time for driving and fishing even when the sun isn't shining! I cannot comment on the polarising benefits as yet because of the weather. I have kept my old Raybans which I have had for 20 years and for which I have periodically changed the lenses as spare as the last prescription is only marginally stronger than the current. At this rate and if i live that long I will have perfect vision when I am 70:rolleyes:

I break my glasses regularly and now go for robust non designer frames. Rayban aviators are the exception but they are robust and have lasted me years as above.

chrissh

Reaction score
Nortwest Angling are doing the Fox 3-lens system for less than £30 - if that's one of your key criteria! :cool:
Fox Vario Polarised Sunglasses | NWAC

The only reason I’m say interchangeable lenses is that after ask on FM what colour lenses are best, with different answers yellow, blue, and brown, what want an all-round sunglasses to cope with the British summer and not having to carry 3 different sets of glasses, I don’t mind what I pay for them but also don’t want to waste money on the wrong ones

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only reason I’m say interchangeable lenses is that after ask on FM what colour lenses are best, with different answers yellow, blue, and brown, what want an all-round sunglasses to cope with the British summer and not having to carry 3 different sets of glasses, I don’t mind what I pay for them but also don’t want to waste money on the wrong ones

I think you'll find that it's one frame and a coupe of sets of lenses in different colors/shades.

My favorite color/shade is brown but one really bright sunny days a grey one is probably the best option.