Tackle on the continent

swizzle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I spend a lot of time in and around Slovenia throughout the year and there is some beautiful stretches of river that are begging to be fished and probably see next to know angling pressure at all. Not from coarse anglers at any rate. I do have access for fishing on a couple of rivers, the problem is though that I have only found 1 tackle shop in the capital that stocks the very basics for coarse fishing and most of it is aimed at carpers. Does anyone have any knowledge of where I can buy reasonable quality tackle on the continent or a website based in Europe? I know I could buy on line, but I'd rather not pay for the postage, in some cases it'll be more expensive than what I actually want to buy. I have also looked at taking tackle on the plane with me, but again it works out very pricey, so I'd rather buy it and leave it there. All that would leave me then would be to source a place to buy maggots....:eek:mg:

Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in France and have found it easier and cheaper to buy here and take it with me or buy from Amazon and have it shipped. Sometimes and somewhat bizarrely , it can be cheaper to ship from the uk than from France. I have an account in both countries.

I have no knowledge of Slovenia but it might be worth looking at the biggest country it borders for more choice !

thecrow

Reaction score
I think Decathlon have stores in Slovenia but I don't know if they do fishing tackle, same as this country perhaps some do some don't.

swizzle

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in France and have found it easier and cheaper to buy here and take it with me or buy from Amazon and have it shipped. Sometimes and somewhat bizarrely , it can be cheaper to ship from the uk than from France. I have an account in both countries.

I have no knowledge of Slovenia but it might be worth looking at the biggest country it borders for more choice !

I hadn't thought of creating a continental Amazon account, thanks for the suggestion. I am not far from the Italian or Austrian border so it could be worth a trip over each border for a nose around. Again thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

I think Decathlon have stores in Slovenia but I don't know if they do fishing tackle, same as this country perhaps some do some don't.

Ah, yes there is a big Decathlon not too far away in the city. I'll have a look there. Do they sell good gear in there? Thank you.

john step

Reaction score
Try looking at travelling with A TRAVEL ROD. They are very compact.
Rovex John Wilson Avon is one.
Shakespeare do travel lure rods.
Just a thought.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
as far as i know theres a slovinian ebay , or, aliexpress deliver to slovinia, ive found some good stuff on aliexpress, only problem is you might have to wait for 4weeks for stuff to get to you, but it is very very cheap to buy from aliexpress and using/ticking the free postage filter cuts down on the looking time

mikench

Reaction score
Amazon France offer a facility to have your stuff delivered to a variety of local shops and businesses . I have found that this is safer than waiting in for the delivery that never arrives.

I ordered a tyre compressor from Amazon which according to the updates had been put in my post box. This has a standard letter box aperture and the box containing the compressor was a foot square at least! The delivery guy had made no attempt to deliver it.

I now have stuff, including à Sea rod delivered to a local florist! I can collect my new toy and keep the wife happy with a bunch of flowers at the same time:rolleyes:

swizzle

Reaction score
as far as i know theres a slovinian ebay , or, aliexpress deliver to slovinia, ive found some good stuff on aliexpress, only problem is you might have to wait for 4weeks for stuff to get to you, but it is very very cheap to buy from aliexpress and using/ticking the free postage filter cuts down on the looking time

I have had a look on the Slovenian eBay, not a lot going, fantastic if you want a second hand pair of climbing shoes, I'll have a look at your aliexpress website. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Amazon France offer a facility to have your stuff delivered to a variety of local shops and businesses . I have found that this is safer than waiting in for the delivery that never arrives.

I ordered a tyre compressor from Amazon which according to the updates had been put in my post box. This has a standard letter box aperture and the box containing the compressor was a foot square at least! The delivery guy had made no attempt to deliver it.

I now have stuff, including à Sea rod delivered to a local florist! I can collect my new toy and keep the wife happy with a bunch of flowers at the same time:rolleyes:

Mike, that's a handy thing to know. Although I think I'll be okay as I have an address where things can get delivered safely. But good to know. Thanks

mikench

Reaction score
We live in a gated development and there is an intercom system which is a pain for deliveries. When my rod arrived at the florists, i picked it up on route to the beach and tried it immediately. I still didn't catch:(

swizzle

Reaction score
We live in a gated development and there is an intercom system which is a pain for deliveries. When my rod arrived at the florists, i picked it up on route to the beach and tried it immediately. I still didn't catch:(

As one should Mike. I often think is is far better to catch nothing first time out with a new rod as it's handy to get a feel for the casting action and nice to sit there staring at the unblemished appearance. ;)