Line clip disclaimer

chrissh

Reaction score
Cleaned, oiled and re spooled my reels this afternoon and after reading the shimano instruction on my feeder/match reels & baitrunners

It state that the line clip is not a guaranteed part of the reel if damages when used to clip up

Line clip disclaimer
The line clip is attached to and form part of this reels spool(s) has been designed by shimano for the sole purpose of securing the line whilst the reel is being transported around by the user.
Shimano makes no representations and give no warranties (either or implied) that the may be used for any other purpose for which it had been designed

Do other reel manufactures state this or is it just shimano?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Daiwa state in the bumf that comes with the reel...

Quote.. Spool line clip.

Insert line end under the clip to keep line from loosening on spool when not in use.

rich66

Reaction score
Must admit that's what I thought they where for, not stopping a cast at a certain point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
Must admit that's what I thought they where for, not stopping a cast at a certain point.

Exactly...they are meant to stop line unravelling when the reel is not in use ...but anglers then also started to use as a cast stopping aid as well but thats not really what their function was meant to be.

thecrow

Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were originally until they were utilised for casting to a certain spot time after time, I always used a piece of bicycle inner tube to stop the cast at a certain distance when I needed to be accurate fishing for big roach on a large reservoir..

chrissh

Reaction score
They were originally until they were utilised for casting to a certain spot time after time, I always used a piece of bicycle inner tube to stop the cast at a certain distance when I needed to be accurate fishing for big roach on a large reservoir..

I use a similar thing as you but a piece of old pole elastic attached to my line as a marker if needed

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I use the very thick rubber band that one used to have to wear over yer ankle or wrist when at the swimming baths and find that this is perfect for the job when casting, doubled over on a spool and they ain't going nowhere because they are so incredibly strong and these were mainly used for when I was gravel & chalk pit roach fishing

I've got loads :D through member of family who is a life guard :thumbs:

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Line clips were once solely for transporting spools tidily, but these days their main purpose is clipping up I would think.

The disclaimer is typical corporate BS that is supposed to protect them in the event of an unfortunate incident.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the "unfortunate incident" that Shimano have in mind is an angler of the opposite bank being hit by a flying lead that has been sent his way by an angler opposite casting clipped up and having a break off... it really is frightening just how far a lead will go when that happens.

chrissh

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the "unfortunate incident" that Shimano have in mind is an angler of the opposite bank being hit by a flying lead that has been sent his way by an angler opposite casting clipped up and having a break off... it really is frightening just how far a lead will go when that happens.

Some years ago I was at the Kent county show and I think it was Alan Yates (a sea angler) was showing how deadly a 2oz weight can be, he was casting at a 8x4 ply boards the weight was going through the 1” board like a bullet