Bring on the weekend

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I'm seriously looking forward to this weekend - got two sessions planned.

Saturday will see me giving the new seat box a proper christening (first time out it was absolutely appalling weather and I didn't last long) down at the local lakes. I'm planning on an early start to make sure I get the choice of pegs and then hopefully put together a decent net of skimmers.

On Sunday I'm planning a trip to the clubs stretch of the Beult near Yalding. I'm meeting up with the guy who got me back into fishing last year. Unfortunately at the end of the year the relationship turned a little sour after he failed to pay for some work I'd done for him.

A 'phone call from him out of the blue yesterday, followed by a visit with an envelope full of moolah and an explanation of how his company had folded went a long way to clearing the air. I suggested a fishing trip on Sunday to complete the process and we're on.

It'll be good to get back on the bank with a like minded angling nut. Fishing alone is nice, and sometimes it's what I prefer, but it's always nice to go with a mate, so I'm dead chuffed. Hopefully all will go well.

B

binka

Sounds like you've had a result already, hope the fishing goes as well ;)

robcourt82

Reaction score
Interesting little river the beult. Only fished it once and struggled but know of some excellent catches of roach from the river and if solitude is your thing then it's definitely a place to head.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Interesting little river the beult. Only fished it once and struggled but know of some excellent catches of roach from the river and if solitude is your thing then it's definitely a place to head.

One of me all time favourite roach rivers, this Jem of a river yes is rather difficult these days for roach but I can remember back in the eighties where 2 lb roach were actually quite plentiful and a few 3 lbers even put in an appearance :D

Sadly the hey day of this little river is now long gone but on some sections it does hold the odd few surprise roach, it also has some spectacular tench and bream fishing when the conditions are right :thumbs:

I haven't fished the river for a while now but I'm still fishing the river on and off at times and getting the odd few decent roach upto about 1.5 lb which are obviously still very nice fish in there own right ;)

Be lucky

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Sunday im off out decided another trip on bristol avon chasing some chub and hopfully its not pushing as hard as it was last time i went .

bait choice is bread and il go get some worms as well

robcourt82

Reaction score
There are certainly a lot of roach in the river at the moment but whether there are any big roach I couldn't say. It's a shame it doesn't flow much. The LAA have a section and when I fished it I honestly couldn't say if it went left to right or right to left!

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
There are certainly a lot of roach in the river at the moment but whether there are any big roach I couldn't say. It's a shame it doesn't flow much. The LAA have a section and when I fished it I honestly couldn't say if it went left to right or right to left!

It's quite possible that it actually does do both. I know that this happens on the Medway downstream from Hartlake bridge. It's 'cos they keep ****in' around with the locks. I've seen six inches of level change in less than 10 minutes there before.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Na mate it only flows one way.....lols, if there were locks then occasionally you'd sometimes get a bit of back flow but there's no locks in this little river :D

The problem with the Beult is that in the summer a lot of it gets choked with surface duck weed and virtually stops the flow, more like a wide ditch to be fair,

However the river does often come into its own once that duck weed has died back for the winter, get the first Autumn / winter floods out of the way that normally clears most of that weed and then the river fishes completely different :thumbs:

I do also love fishing in the summer there aswell but one needs to remember that it's more like fishing a heavily weeded canal or wide ditch than a flowing river,

There are still a few half decent roach in there but location is key, I've had em to 1.5 lb over the last few years but a long while back I did have a fair few 2 lbers but haven't seen anything of this stamp since :( but you'll never know as there may well be a few big roach still lurking about :D

Speak soon

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I fished a LAA stretch of the Beult once, my brother was a member and took me along. We blanked but it was flooding and cold at the time so probably not the best of times. I fished a commercial a lot called Frant Lakes and they had a section of the Beult running through. The owners griddled each end and stocked it with all manner of things, carp, barbel, goldfish. It used to fish well, better then the lakes sometimes, I dont know if any of those fish escaped as fry or eggs to the rest of the river but I imagined they would.

Forget that last bit, I think it was the Teise not the Beult.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I fished a LAA stretch of the Beult once, my brother was a member and took me along. We blanked but it was flooding and cold at the time so probably not the best of times. I fished a commercial a lot called Frant Lakes and they had a section of the Beult running through. The owners griddled each end and stocked it with all manner of things, carp, barbel, goldfish. It used to fish well, better then the lakes sometimes, I dont know if any of those fish escaped as fry or eggs to the rest of the river but I imagined they would.

Forget that last bit, I think it was the Teise not the Beult.

Hi Mark,

The lesser Teise joins the Beult at Hunton and the Teise joins into the Medway at Yalding :thumbs:

mats

Reaction score
I've heard of all sorts in the Beult in recent years, It flows through the Monk Lakes complex and floods have allowed a few escapees. I've heard it suggested that many of the the barbel now in the Medway below Yalding have come this way.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I've heard of all sorts in the Beult in recent years, It flows through the Monk Lakes complex and floods have allowed a few escapees. I've heard it suggested that many of the the barbel now in the Medway below Yalding have come this way.

To be honest mate I very much doubt that the barbel from the Medway will be up that far along the Beult, I fish an exclusive club on the very first part of the Beult between Yalding and Hunton and there is a high sluice within the fishery,
There is absolutely no way that barbel can get over and above this, not even in the biggest of monsoon floods :rolleyes:

Whilst there are the odd few barbel in the lower Medway IE around Yalding, wateringbury, Teston and Barming there's not exactly what I'd call loads and definitely wouldn't have many up those barbel going up the Beult, it's just simply not the river for barbel and is much more suitable for the likes of roach, bream and tench that it currently has,
The Beult most of the time is far to sluggish for barbel to thrive.

The only other possible explanation is that the barbel from the lakes may have escaped into that part of the river, yes they will live there ok but certainly won't thrive, I very much doubt that they'll even spawn in the river as there are no shallow gravel runs whatsoever being a river that is predominantly all clay :rolleyes:

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Just my luck, planning a river trip for the end of the season and the car as to go in for repair. The alternator packed up and the car had be towed to the garage.