Tench & lily flowers

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was deeply into Carp fishing back in the 1990's and I was occasionally using Jeff Kemps Ethyl alcohol based brandy flavouring on my home made boilees (not real brandy Lol) and wondering why such a flavour worked, I read that water Lilly flowers emit a sweet brandy flavoured pollen some of which found its way into into the water. Whether this was right or wrong it caught me plenty of Carp Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
When I was deeply into Carp fishing back in the 1990's and I was occasionally using Jeff Kemps Ethyl alcohol based brandy flavouring on my home made boilees (not real brandy Lol) and wondering why such a flavour worked, I read that water Lilly flowers emit a sweet brandy flavoured pollen some of which found its way into into the water. Whether this was right or wrong it caught me plenty of Carp Lol.

Keith

Blimey Keith that sounds interesting, might now have to look a little further into this, cheers mate, thanks for sharing,

Learn something new everyday :D

Speak soon

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

[QUOT
E=David Rogers 3;1412841]Just watched this:

BBC Four - Britain in Focus: A Photographic History, Series 1, Episode 1

In which it was mentioned that tench in the Norfolk Broads used to be lured into nets by their attraction to water lily flowers - never heard of this before. Anyone any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Na mate I can't honestly say that I've heard of this before but as Keith has just mentioned that if maybe something to do with the content and strong scent that creates an interest to the tench :thumbs:

Certainly worth looking more in to,

In the film clip it mentions about the two people in the punt picking the flowers as being the Goodall family,

Now strange as this may seem but as I'm a champion breeder and exhibitor of canaries I also happen to know of a Goodall family and also from Norfolk and these were and probably still are the very best champion Norwich canary breeders and exhibitors in the country :thumbs:

Maybe just coincidence but certainly seemed funny when I heard the name and there in Norfolk :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Here's how I think this works - the flowers emit the sent which in itself has no intrinsic ability to attract fish. But what it does have is 'sent by association.'
If you have ever pulled lilies out of a water as I have on many occasions, you'll know the underside of the pad and stalks are full of food clinging to them.

Particularly snails, but many other inverts as well. Snails love pads and tench love snails more than snails love pads. So what draws snails to the pads? Algae, which collects on the pads drawing in the snails.
The sent by its association draws the tench to follow it to the source, instinctively knowing there will be an easy cash of food there for the taking.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The sent by its association draws the tench to follow it to the source, instinctively knowing there will be an easy cash of food there for the taking.

Similar to driving past a chippy and getting the scent of the fish n' chips causing you to turn round for a feed really in'it ;).

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Here's how I think this works - the flowers emit the sent which in itself has no intrinsic ability to attract fish. But what it does have is 'sent by association.'
If you have ever pulled lilies out of a water as I have on many occasions, you'll know the underside of the pad and stalks are full of food clinging to them.

Particularly snails, but many other inverts as well. Snails love pads and tench love snails more than snails love pads. So what draws snails to the pads? Algae, which collects on the pads drawing in the snails.

I can easily go along with that, seems an obvious and fair point :thumbs: