Fishing Gloves

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Whenever I handle fish regularly I get a rash on my hands between my fingers and on my palms. This only started since I got back into fishing. My GP thinks it's some sort of allergic reaction and has suggested wearing gloves.

I know that it's said that anything other than wet bare hands is bad for the little blighters, but that can't be true since we regularly put fish in slings, on mats etc.

I've bought a pair of Berkeley Fish Gripper gloves which have a soft textured rubber coating on the palms and fingers. Definitely helps. My question is does anyone think it will do the fish any harm?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
To be honest I can't really say mate, possibly not if they where wet before hand,

However I do know of a couple of people who do use the thin latex surgical gloves with no problems.

Just a thought :thumbs:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
However I do know of a couple of people who do use the thin latex surgical gloves with no problems.

I hadn't thought of that. I think I've got some in the workshop - I'll take a look and try 'em out on Saturday during my assault on the snotters.

I'll look like a Dentist on his day off!! :D

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that. I think I've got some in the workshop - I'll take a look and try 'em out on Saturday during my assault on the snotters.

I'll look like a Dentist on his day off!! :D

Take a few pairs with you in yer bag as they are prone to tare a little especially if yer trying to hold perch :rolleyes:......:D

chrissh

Reaction score
Rub a good layer of Vaseline (Petroleum jelly) really work it in to your hand and between your fingers until they feel dry and not sticky that way you will still have the felling in your fingers not a false sense from gloves … it’s also a good way to keep your hands warm in the winter

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Rub a good layer of Vaseline (Petroleum jelly) really work it in to your hand and between your fingers until they feel dry and not sticky that way you will still have the felling in your fingers not a false sense from gloves … it’s also a good way to keep your hands warm in the winter

I'll definitely give that a go first. Thats the problem with gloves - you can't really fish easily with them on, so I tend to forget and then end up with me scabby hands. Vaseline could be the answer.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The latex gloves come in various colours so a dull green colour wouldn't be very niticeable.
I think you can get boxes of a hundred or more for a couple of notes....or a quid at a quid shop :).
Good things about them is they weigh naff all, cost naff all, you can feel things through them better than with any other gloves, they're waterproof and they do help to keep your hands warm (a little) plus they're disposable :).

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
The latex gloves come in various colours so a dull green colour wouldn't be very niticeable.
I think you can get boxes of a hundred or more for a couple of notes....or a quid at a quid shop :).
Good things about them is they weigh naff all, cost naff all, you can feel things through them better than with any other gloves, they're waterproof and they do help to keep your hands warm (a little) plus they're disposable :).

Absolutely Ian :D me best mate has to wear em for when he's sea fishing locally down the Thames with me when I'm bass fishing because the fish, baits used and high salt content does his hands in if he don't wear em,

I keep on telling him to get some pink marigolds but he won't have it........for the life of me can't think why :p :D :eek:mg:.....lols

greenie62

Reaction score

Also - always worth carrying a couple of pairs in your back pocket for:
- gripping / pulling apart rod/pole sections that have become 'stuck',
- balling-in coloured groundbait that would otherwise stain your hands,
- picking-off slugs from your tackle / box of halibut pellets when fishing the Ribble!
- picking-up dog cach from your peg:eek:
plus sundry other uses! :confused:

terry m

Reaction score
Whenever I handle fish regularly I get a rash on my hands between my fingers and on my palms. This only started since I got back into fishing. My GP thinks it's some sort of allergic reaction and has suggested wearing gloves.

I know that it's said that anything other than wet bare hands is bad for the little blighters, but that can't be true since we regularly put fish in slings, on mats etc.

I've bought a pair of Berkeley Fish Gripper gloves which have a soft textured rubber coating on the palms and fingers. Definitely helps. My question is does anyone think it will do the fish any harm?

The amount of blanks I experience, means this is not an issue for me!!

:eek:mg:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I've just dug out the box from under the workbench (I can't believe how much **** there is under there!! I just found a .243 rifle barrel with a converse trainer taped on the end??? WTF!)

The ones I've got are Nitrile with powder all over them. I'll order some unpowdered latex ones this afternoon and give 'em a go.

greenie62

Reaction score
....The ones I've got are Nitrile with powder all over them. I'll order some unpowdered latex ones this afternoon and give 'em a go.

DON'T sling the Nitrile ones! If you do - you are guaranteed to find you are allergic to Latex! :eek:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
DON'T sling the Nitrile ones! If you do - you are guaranteed to find you are allergic to Latex! :eek:

Going by the first part of my earlier post you should realise that I obviously never sling ANYTHING!! :):eek:mg:

I've also just found a box full of 2 metre lengths of 19mm aluminium solid rod. I can feel some brolly poles coming on......:D

greenie62

Reaction score
....I've also just found a box full of 2 metre lengths of 19mm aluminium solid rod. I can feel some brolly poles coming on......:D

I expect Binka will be along shortly with an offer! - He's not bust anything for a week or two! :D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have yet to break a rod but have heard of people who have !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Also - always worth carrying a couple of pairs in your back pocket for:
- gripping / pulling apart rod/pole sections that have become 'stuck',
- balling-in coloured groundbait that would otherwise stain your hands,
- picking-off slugs from your tackle / box of halibut pellets when fishing the Ribble!
- picking-up dog cach from your peg:eek:
plus sundry other uses! :confused:

My one and only fishing " HATE " bloody dog cach :mad:

Seriously......if I come to a peg with blimmin dog cach there's absolutely no way would I ever pick it up even with gloves, I'd definitely move on to another peg :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Going by the first part of my earlier post you should realise that I obviously never sling ANYTHING!! :):eek:mg:

I've also just found a box full of 2 metre lengths of 19mm aluminium solid rod. I can feel some brolly poles coming on......:D

Or tall Medway bank sticks for barbel :D :thumbs: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Could be far worse....human cack!!!!!!!!!

Dog cack pales into insignificance in comparison.