Spodding

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Just poped out today and bought rest of the bits to start to learn spodding .

What's the best way to tie the shock leader to the braid and then to the spod ? Don't want any crack offs really

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Tying a Shock Leader Knot | Instructional Angling Video | Anglers Den Sussex

This may help. There are more vids on utube..

Spodding is great for attracting bream into your peg;)

Yes I know it is but it seems odd when chap next to me was spodding with hemp and maize and was catching carp !

I thought il give it a go what he is doing and j got a spod rod and reel but never used it , so worth a try surely .

I may try chilli hemp and see if that puts them off and some pigeon feed with boilies in the mix and change to a bigger bait 2 X 14mm on hair .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i saw a episode of fishing gurus where steve ringer was using a mini spod on a feeder rod :eek:

surely that rod would not be strong enough even though it was a mini skyliner ?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
The trick with spodding is getting the length from the tip ring to the spod/spomb the correct distance.
Too short and it usually falls short,too long and you waste even more energy,get that distance right to suit you,the rod & reel and it,with practice,becomes easy to get long distance.
Just make sure you can get your hook bait the same distance.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
my carp rods are only small carp rods 2 1/4lb think il use a 2oz lead and clip up then recast and then mark out and clip up on spod reel .

but what a daft thing went around to my dads where the rod is in the shed roof and found some twit slammed a roof rack onto it and the top eye along with top 4 " has snapped !

only constellation i payed £12 for it .

back to drawing board for a while until get another spod rod

seth49

Reaction score
You could try refitting the eye to the rest of the tip, 4" shouldn't matter if it's just casting a spod if you heat the eye with a lighter it will either pop out, or you can pull it out with pliers when the glue softens, then reglue it back on. Worth a try.ive done this before and it works ok.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
great !

never thought of that , il take a hacksaw to the tip to smooth it off before gluing on . i have a blowtorch i can lock on and tangle the eye near it for a while .

Thinking epoxy would be fine ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Sorry wrong info broken just below the 2nd eye but chopped too eye off and it slid into it nicley so been glued in place looks a bit odd though and around 11ft now

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Oh and what's the length of drop about right , normally have around 1m

robtherake

Reaction score
great !

never thought of that , il take a hacksaw to the tip to smooth it off before gluing on . i have a blowtorch i can lock on and tangle the eye near it for a while .

Thinking epoxy would be fine ?

A lighter does the job, but mind which way the tip's pointing as the tip ring can shoot right off the blank and is hot enough to cause a burn.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
The length of the drop depends on the length of rod,test curve and weight of a loaded spod/spomb - you will know when it is right because it will seem effortless to get the required distance - just make sure that you can cast your hookbait just as far.