Spliced tip

ben10

Reaction score
Hey every one,

Just a quick question. Looking at buying a method feeder rod that has 2 different top sections, both with what looks like a spliced in quiver.

Question is, if I was ever unlucky enough to break a tip, are spliced tips easy enough to replace? The rod is a daiwa and the tips are spliced from the factory so I guess they are spliced in a conventional way.

Thanks!

Ben

mikench

Reaction score
sorry I cannot help. I have rods which quiver at the end and rods with alternative push in tips of different colours and weights. Until I see a spliced tip I cannot imagine how it differs in appearance and practice.

Am i being dense( a rhetorical question)?:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I had a spliced tip feeder rod and it snapped at the tip during transit , binned it. A mate of mine snapped his off hitting an overhead branch.
Not sure about repairing one but I'd never trust it again if it was repaired so my advice would be either...

Don't buy one.

Carry it in a hard case/ tube and be very careful.

Much better to buy a rod with a choice of push in tips which can be replaced cheaply if broken....

Keith M

Reaction score
Hey every one,

Just a quick question. Looking at buying a method feeder rod that has 2 different top sections, both with what looks like a spliced in quiver.

Question is, if I was ever unlucky enough to break a tip, are spliced tips easy enough to replace? The rod is a daiwa and the tips are spliced from the factory so I guess they are spliced in a conventional way.

Thanks!

Ben

If you can get a replacement from Diawa and can get what's left of your broken one out cleanly (which is the key) it shouldn't be too hard to fit a replacement.
If you can't get a replacement you might be able to find a suitable 'donkey top' quiver and fit that instead.
I did this a few years ago with one of my old original J.Wilson Avon Quivers which had broken.

The diagrams below show how I spliced in my new quiver:

It might even be possible to get Diawa (in Scotland) or a good rod repairer to do the repair for you if you are not that confident.

Else do what Peter said and buy a rod with replacement push in quivertips which can very easily be replaced; which is what I would tend to do nowerdays.

Keith

Last edited:

ben10

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies guys.

I'd get a rod builder to repair it, just seeing how plausible it is. Obviously not looking to break it but you never know!

Maybe I'll look at something with standard push in quivers then!

Thanks.

bracket

Reaction score
I have done this many times and Keith M is spot on . Replacement is straightforward the delicate bit is removing the damaged tip. You need to apply localised gentle heat to the glued section, best with a heat gun or a cigarette lighter, whilst carefully twisting the tip and pushing down back through the top section as the glue softens. Pete.

mikench

Reaction score
it doesnt look like I am missing anything in not having a rod with a spliced tip;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer a rod with interchangeable tips so you can swap and change to suite the species i'm targeting, the conditions i'm fishing in or both of 'em.
At least if one of the tips gets broken it's easy to go a but another one.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
To be honest the best rods for ease of repairs is to have a std quiver or feeder rod with push in tips, if one breaks then just simply replace with another,

However I have and do use spliced in tipped quiver rods mainly because the tips are all glass and the glass tips suit my style of fishing as opposed to std carbon tips, a lot of me fishing is for big chub and roach and where I'm often touch ledgering and in these circumstances the glass tips for me are far more superior :thumbs:

However there is a price to pay with having spliced tips and that is if they break you'll then ideally need to be in touch with a few quality rod builders who should quite easily repair the rod and splice in a new tip, I have about 3-4 reliable rod builders that can do this for me if need be :D

The downside is that if you can't get it fixed you then may aswell file it ( Bin ) :eek:mg:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I notice there are sone cheap diawa rods that are like this diawa d feeder rod

But the korum twin top is another but I actually fancy one as cones with a 1.5 Avon to go with my other Avon rod when tench fishing .

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
If you can get the old broken one out, Keith M's method is the one. But if it doesn't want to come out, and some don't, all is not lost. If you look at a Tricast tip rod, you'll see that the tips don't push into the section below; the tips have a short "female" section and fit OVER the carrier section. This gives you another way to repair your built-in tip section. Cut the tip off about 1 - 2 inches above the blend with the blank. You now have a solid peg instead of a quiver tip. Cut a sleeve of carbon - tackle shops have loads of discarded no.1 sections from guys who want the no.2 section elasticated - that's about 3 inches long and a nice fit over your peg. Take the spare quiver tip of your choice and with with a bit of rubbing down and araldite, fix into the the other end of your sleeve. You now have a put-over tip. It won't have quite the seamless curve of your built-in tip, but it beats binning the rod. I've repaired broken built-ins and made tips for home made tip rods like this.