Terminal tackle storage

swizzle

Reaction score
I have an NGT box with the various smaller boxes and rig storage compartments, but this isn't enough for feeders of any description, not great for spools of hooklength, or leads of more than 1/2 an ounce, floats blah, blah, blah. About the only thing I cam store in it are swivels, hooks in packets and loose and other small bits. I don't want a massive box because generally I travel light with a rod, chair, net and backpack with everything rammed in. I find myself losing a lot and sometimes I don't have enough room to take what I actually need. So what do you guys use and how do you transport it to your water?

rich66

Reaction score
I have a Stanley storage thing. I don't have a lot of tackle as I use a rucksack rather than seat box. It has some fixed compartments and some removable dividers which give me room for loose floats along one side, disgorgers etc across the top. It's similar or the same as this model on Amazon
Stanley 197483 Stackable Sortmaster Organiser
I've not linked it as I'm not sure if it breaks forum rules ?
Anyhow fits perfectly in my rucksack and stops me buying too much tackle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Greys Klip-Lok boxes and tackle bases. The little bits boxes fit perfectly into the tackle base, with plenty of room to spare for other stuff, and the tackle bases fit nicely into either the Korum bait and bits bag or the various Greys bags designed to take them.

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Greys Klip-Lok boxes and tackle bases. The little bits boxes fit perfectly into the tackle base, with plenty of room to spare for other stuff, and the tackle bases fit nicely into either the Korum bait and bits bag or the various Greys bags designed to take them.

Do you have a Link for this please?

Andy Williams

Reaction score
hi,i recently went shopping with the missus ,not my favorite passtime lol ,i found sum great storage boxes in home bargains ,they are clear plastic and all have dividing inserts so you can adjust the inside sizes of the box ,they do 3 sizes ,a large size is about the same size of a lap top ,they look very similar to the feeder cases preston do,the large box was only £2.99 and the next size down was £1.99,propper bargains imo

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
My hook packets are stored in thplastic tubs that take away food comes in

I have several small hard plastic boxes that have divides that take feeders, shot, lead weights etc
I keep a lot of spare tackle at home in big plastic boxes

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I do rather like the look of the Greys stuff, but it certainly ain't cheap.

I don't mind spending money on gear if it's good and does the job properly.

The problem is I'm one of these types who always thinks that the 'next thing' will be better than what I'm currently using.

I use the Korum Maxi rig manager boxes and whilst I like them they also could do with being a tad bigger. The little compartment boxes that come with them are great and definitely my favourites as they have a curved base so getting small items out is easy - they sort of just slide out. This has now become a prerequisite for any small bits boxes. Korum used to make a larger ITM tackle Manager but have now stopped selling them - if anyone has one they don't want.....you know what to do.

terry m

Reaction score
Normal one sided large Fox Box does me.

I have a box for different types of fishing so I don't lug around unnecessary kit.

Reasonably priced, strong and adapatable. Why look anywhere else.

chrissh

Reaction score
korum box for me i get every think i need in it
rsz_p3270010.jpg

View image in gallery

B

binka

I absolutely love all these plastic type of compartment boxes, especially the ones with the adjustable partitions and I've had a fair few of 'em over the years.

Trouble is, I don't seem to get on very well with them in practice which is probably down to yet another one of my OCD's and my aversion to carrying anything I don't need on the day.

Some time ago NGT were having a sale and I bought several of their rig pouches at a daft price, something like three quid apiece and I split my terminal gear down in to each so that I've got hooklink line, leads, feeders, method feeders etc.

It works well enough for me to have stuck with it and is a bit more modular, very easy to pick up the bag/s I need on the day without running the risk of carting around unnecessary gear...

When I want to go really bare minimum I just fill up my waistcoat pockets, which hangs directly above, with whatever I need straight from the drawer.

Maybe not for everyone but it works for me :)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I do wonder sometimes if a box isn't actually the best way to transport small bits and bobs (beads, swivels etc) or feeders, or even floats for that matter?

Since I started fishing on the wye, I had to have a reappraisal of how many feeders I might need to take with me. So these are now kept in a separate pouch on one end of my chub rigger bag.

In the opposite end, in the rig wallet - I keep pre-tied hooklengths plus hooks, beads, swivels, line stops, hooks (in packets) and a few different spools of hooklength material plus baiting tools and scissors (I guess you could say that this is my tackle box). I do find this way it stays more organised and I can see things easily without having to rummage - I just flip through the wallets until I find what I want. Then in the main bag, I keep a separate float tube with floats and a small four way shot dispenser.

I also have a second wallet that will fit in the space at the end... that one is full of method feeders and short method hooklengths (and spare hooks and hooklength material), so if I'm fishing a lake rather than a river, I can just swap out the river feeders for the method feeders (like pods on Thunderbird 2!!)

Isn't it funny though how we're inclined to look at all the kit we've got and thing - "I wish I could take less stuff with me when I go. If I just bought this, I might manage to do that!".....instead of "I wish I could take less stuff with me when I go so next time, I'm leaving that at home....."

B

binka

Isn't it funny though how we're inclined to look at all the kit we've got and thing - "I wish I could take less stuff with me when I go. If I just bought this, I might manage to do that!".....instead of "I wish I could take less stuff with me when I go so next time, I'm leaving that at home....."

How very true!

Despite my aversion and organising to try and avoid it I still manage to take more than I need on occasions and sods law will dictate that on other occasions I've trimmed things back too much and I am left short of an option I would otherwise have had if only I had taken the extra gear :eek:mg:

There's no winning! :)

greenie62

Reaction score
I blame commercial fisheries!:D:D

When I mainly fly-fished rivers I used a waistcoat with a couple of tapered leaders tucked in a pocket, with a spool of tippet line, a couple of fly-boxes tucked in other pockets, towel attached to belt and tucked into top of waders and not much else. Forceps, net, etc. on clip-ons to vest. Only used a bag for butties, drinks, etc. Roving on banks all day - relatively un-encumbered! ;)

When fishing commercial trout still-waters there seemed to be a pressure to ensure you caught something - so you took all you could to ensure you did! Another 3 boxes of flies, lures, etc, spare reels with sinking lines, cool bag and chiller blocks - for the catch :rolleyes: - scales, SLR camera, folding chair, etc. Not quite as unencumbered as roving the river-banks for the odd brownie.:rolleyes:

On moving back to coarse fishing on rivers - it started-out the same - roving tactics - with just a waistcoat and sometimes a shoulder bag - a handful of short floats - avons and peacock quills that would tuck in a pocket - growing in number as they got damaged to need a float box - first of many items of tackle needing to be in the shoulder bag!:eek:

Moving onto Commercial still-waters - so many species and sizes of fish - all needing different gear, lines, hooks, tactics, etc. - soon run out of space in the shoulder 'gas-mask' bag - then the spare reel/spools, hooklengths, rod-rest heads, bite alarms, buzz-bars, etc., before we get to mats, cumfy all-day chairs, brolly, fittings, etc.

Time goes by - and you get more kit! - and a bigger bag!

Would you really go fishing an unknown commercial and NOT take .....?

Before you know it you are looking at barrows! :D

As I said - I blame commercial fisheries - the clue is in the name! :eek::D:eek:mg:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I almost always find that I take waaaaay to much gear, and at the end of the day have only used stuff that would literally fit in a pocket (apart from Rods, etc). This has happened enough times that I ought to have learned by now. However I just can't help myself:doh:

There's an old boy down at our lakes who turns up with a rod case containing one rod, his landing net and a small tupperware box with hooks to nylon, Korum Feedabeads and quickchange beads, a few leads, some shot and a couple of floats and a disgorger. He keeps a multitool on his belt, carries a chair under his arm with a mat attached and thats it. He ALWAYS catches what he came for, and more importantly he always looks relaxed.

He can set up in no time and move swims in minutes. I am very envious.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's good to know I'm not alone - I can hardly move for boxes that I thought would organise my fishing but have only made it less convenient.
Boxes with partitions that don't fit any of the packets I want to stow.
Boxes with removable partitions, but the long ,fixed runs that the partions divide up are too narrow.
Cantilever boxes whose tray compartments are too small while the space at the bottom is too large.
Boxes that are too deep to wrangle small bits from the bottom of small compartments.
Boxes that house almost everything well and safely, but weigh far too much.
Boxes designed by nipple-brains who think that the ideal background colour for somebody desperately seeking a matt black swivel in the magic half hour after sunset is either black or very dark olive.
Boxes for small bits that don't have at least one rounded-off side against which said bits can be slid out.
Boxes that promise so much, yet deliver so little.

Zippy bags are the way forward - or are they?- but I was wandering around Wilko's recently and came across a three-tier, snap-together lunch-box set that ticks an awful lot of my - er - boxes, so to speak.
I am probably a lost cause.

mikench

Reaction score
Aren't we all! First time out around 18 months ago I took a rod, reel, float (singular)a packet of hooks, landing net, disgorger, shot and a folding camping chair. I caught on a commercial but felt distictly underdressed/equipped.

Now i am spoilt for choice, think I need a trolley and keep buying stuff! My new 14 footer arrived this morning and the wife who is unwell had to sign for it. When I rang her to enquire after her health she said" your rod case has arrived although god only knows why you need another one and i'll bet that was more than £20" Bless! I said nothing! If she thinks it's empty then fine by me! A crack habit would be cheaper but not as much fun!:)