Beware of this site for your licence

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly it is legitimate, believe it or not.

They argue that they are providing a 'service' for which there is a fee allowable.

There are similar sites for most 'licensing services' including passport renewals.

The best thing to do is to highlight these 'services' to make people aware, and hopefully avoid using them.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I appreciate it's not the sort of things one thinks about but the co in the web address indicates commercial organisation, which, by definition, will likely mean "profit making".

gov.uk in the address should mean a safe, cost price application.

I would agree with you in that they do charge too much but in a world where ambulance chasing lawyers, PPI reclaimers, budget airlines with dubious pricing structures and, frankly, pay day lenders as loan sharks in suits operate with impunity - don't be too surprised if some unscrupulous profit snake finds and exploits opportunities in the world of angling.

Caviat emptor, I'm afraid, my friends :mad:

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
I can remember Keith Arthur on fisherman's blues some years ago talking about the same thing and warning anglers NOT to use the site

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of these sights nearly caught a m8 of mine out the other day! He phoned me up moaning about the rod licenses being more expensive than he'd thought and that a two rod license was 45 nicker. Anyhow he phoned me back saying the sight he was looking at was one his wife had got up for him and that it was a scammer sight where they charge you the extra....imo that's legal fraud FFS!
He'd never heard of them and if he hadn't been there his wife would have just paid for it.

mikench

Reaction score
That explains that call you had Ian querying the cost! One has to be very careful these days on t'internet!:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That explains that call you had Ian querying the cost! One has to be very careful these days on t'internet!:)

Your right Mike, that was the call i'm referring to. My m8 was fuming about it, i'm not surprised he was as if he hadn't been there his mrs would have just paid for it without even thinking.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes. Need for caution.

As we are on the subject of scams Dont ever use a Directory Enquiry site and ask to be put through after being given the number.

B

binka

Yes. Need for caution.

As we are on the subject of scams Dont ever use a Directory Enquiry site and ask to be put through after being given the number.

I always used to do that Graham.

But only because it was a company phone and I hated the bosses, I even used to do it when I already had the number in my contacts list :D

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Id never in a million years ever do anything like this online, just not in my nature,
I'd much prefer to just simply walk into a post office and get one over the counter....simples :D

shane99

Reaction score
I was in a rush today & wasnt paying attention until I saw the Price, I was only talking about it in the morning, how they have brought out a license for 3 rods, how 30 squid is a fair price for a year blah blah, nearly caught me out, hence the 'shooting from the hip post' :mad:

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

got back from the outlaws early enough to grab a few hours, 3 lovely Rudd on float fished luncheon meat hoping for an early tench, no tench but more than happy with those :)

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I clicked the link to the website.
It claims the rod licence contributes 23 billion a year .
That's some seriously psychedelic maths.