pellets and attractants

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I am looking for some pellets i can use as loose feed but mainly in pva mesh bags but i feel that standard coarse pellets have not got the edge and when loose feeding they float for a while as the wind blows them away from the area you are fishing :rolleyes:

Not keen piling in halibut / trout high oil pellets only use them as hook bait of the odd few 4mm ones .

have seen hemp and csl pellets are they any good ?

Also does flavoring the pellets actually work ? if i flavored with 2/3 bags of different flavors and then mixed all pellets together once soaked up flavoring for pva would that give me a edge or not or are all these flavorings a load of rubbish ?

thanks

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I am looking for some pellets i can use as loose feed but mainly in pva mesh bags but i feel that standard coarse pellets have not got the edge and when loose feeding they float for a while as the wind blows them away from the area you are fishing :rolleyes:

Dampening them slightly will stop them floating - just about cover them with water, swill around for a few seconds only and then drain the water off. They should then sink straight away.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks , the only problems is using in pva bags once wet , just was wondering if any other lowish oil pellets or flavorings would make a difference ...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If you want to waste your money on flavourings etc there are plenty of oil based products which are PVA friendly....

associatedmatt

Reaction score
so personal you dont use flavorings Peter ? Guess you just use coarse pellets ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Personally Matt I don't use any expensive products as I see no need. I presume you're fishing for carp as you don't say in your opening post?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
sorry , yes mainly carp but also tench , i know tench mainly grub on naturals but have caught them on pellets before .

only reason why im thinking along this is that i mainly use coarse pellet with different pellets as hook bait . At a lake i often fish i got told to use halibut as loose feed and yes defiantly works better than coarse but i dont relly want to go pinging out alot of high oil pellets or in mesh bags . This is why i thought is there any other pellets that has got some more attractants i seen dynamite baits do there swim stim range but never tried them . Not too expensive either

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Matt, you'd be waisting yer money on buying attractants that end of the day would do no different to what the high oil content of a hailibut pellet could produce :rolleyes:

But if you really feel that you must use something chuck some pellets in Cod liver oil which can be got from any chemist or supermarket and put half a dozen pellets in PVA mesh ( tea bags ) :w

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks Stuart.

Seems mad all these pellets and products on the market if no advantage over standard coarse pellets .

i expect its the fishmeal that draw them in

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Tell you what works, Matt, if you can keep a secret. DO NOT tell any of the others on here otherwise there'll be a huge demand and the price will shoot up.

I wondered about these at first because I'd tried Marukyu stuff before and wondered if it was just an expensive gimmick, but after trying these... well, wow! Just put them straight into bags or a net and tie them to your hook of lead. They're black and so don't spook the fish swimming over them, but the smell must be something else to carp (and other species). Probably the squid ink coating has more to do with it than the krill and inside they're just darker than a lot of pellets.

The cost isn't bad, as you see at 3 bags for a £10 note and Bobco only charges £2 postage, it costs me more than that to go to the local bait shop. So here it is, just between me and you, right? Don't tell a soul.

Marukyu Skrill Pellets Baits | BobCo Fishing Tackle, Leeds

Keith M

Reaction score
Thanks Stuart.

Seems mad all these pellets and products on the market if no advantage over standard coarse pellets .

i expect its the fishmeal that draw them in

They wouldn't make much money if everyone knew this Lol.

If you are having problems sinking your pellets then try a slightly heavier and denser pellet like the Dynamyte ones, the only ones I have problems with are the really tiny 3mm ones which can sometimes start to get caught up in the surface film but if Im using 3mm ones on the bottom as a small bed of feed then I use them in PVA stockings which gets them down onto the bottom fast or add some to some groundbait or I just dampen them slightly before using them.
The other larger sizes sink immediately with no problems.

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
great thanks !

i been told to use a bit of an oil to mix groundbait like a stick mix so the water does not dissolve the mesh in groundbait

Keith M

Reaction score
If I'm using a groundbait then I personally don't use any PVA mesh as it will be bound together enabling me to use my catapult to get it out, or throw it out by hand or use an open ended feeder, or even squeeze it around my lead or flat feeder; rather than using extra oil additives Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i only really use groundbait on a method feeder in a open end feeder or if feeding margins with little loose feed except my hookbait . when said oil i meant like hemp or cod liver oil.