simple pop up rig for smaller hooks and baits

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Im looking to tie myself some hook links for poping up mini boilies 8 and 10's but max hook size is a 10 and since never tied any pop up hook links before can anyone point me in right direction .

Only want to pop up so out of the silt

Bought pre tied carp ones before just seem a bit complicated when searched on google for them ... minefield :eek:

Thanks in advance

chrissh

Reaction score
Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
is that it ?

I seen plenty of rigs that has various rings tubing on etc even seen some with a swivel on the hook for the pop up . That is why i never bothered to tie pop up ones before

but bottom bait ones are easy

thanks

chrissh

Reaction score
By the time you have bought all the bits to make what you want it’s just as cheap to buy them made up

or

Search the name of the rig you want to make there are diagrams showing how to tie them?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's the thing Chris the lake not a big carp lake so this is why using smaller pop ups and the hook is size 10 that's why intend to make my own .

Made method hooklinks with braid for poped up corn but only so it's just balanced off bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
is that it ?

I seen plenty of rigs that has various rings tubing on etc even seen some with a swivel on the hook for the pop up . That is why i never bothered to tie pop up ones before

but bottom bait ones are easy

thanks

Matt, in you case yea that is basically it,

You've gotta bare in mind that your a complete beginner at carp fishing and only really need to know the basics,

Carp fishing is a very big game now and there are some very very experienced carp anglers out there, im talking where some anglers have, 20, 30, 40 odd years experience and are targeting some of the country's hardest and pressurised carp and waters,

Because of this There's some carp anglers who try to get an edge above other carpers, this is normally done by creating different and improved various rigs aswell as baits,
This is only part of it though, it takes many years to learn the carps habitat and feeding patterns etc along with general watercraft skills, then you've got weather paterns etc,
The list goes on and certain information just simply can't be learnt over night :rolleyes:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers Stuart summed it up well . This is why I'm not going after specimen carp need experience for a good few years , only would tackle some small pits for tench perhaps .

Getting back to rigs all I wanted to achieve is a basic way of tying a hook link for smaller pop ups to get out of the silt on an estate lake . But is it better to use braid over mono for this purpose . Max mainline is 10lb on lake . I use fluorocarbon for hooklinks on cage feeders and below swivel use a anti tangle rubber , all with great success .

Cheers

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't be doing with anything fancy, I just use a regular hair rig with a split shot near the hook to balance the bait.

Simplicity seems to be overlooked in some areas of fishing. Make it rocket science and punters spend more.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
KIS keep it simple ! Going to keep on lookout for a plastic fish tank to test rigs . Using different hooks the weight will need to be different

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
KIS keep it simple ! Going to keep on lookout for a plastic fish tank to test rigs . Using different hooks the weight will need to be different

Exactly Matt, yer learning fella :thumbs:

As you rightly say keep it simple, I'm not a believer in over complicating rigs, never have and certainly never will,

Hook lengths.....braid / mono / flouro.....to be honest there ain't a great deal of difference, not that I've ever really noticed, the braid will be a bit more supple as opposed to using flouro but that is all,

Make a few different rigs up out of different lines and braids and then test em in yer test tank, it's then up to you on what you feel happy and more importantly confident with :D

greenie62

Reaction score
....Make a few different rigs up out of different lines and braids and then test em in yer test tank, it's then up to you on what you feel happy and more importantly confident with :D

Just remember though - that some fisheries have a 'no braid' rule! - so just 'cos you are happy with a braid hook length doesn't mean that the owner will be!:eek:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Just remember though - that some fisheries have a 'no braid' rule! - so just 'cos you are happy with a braid hook length doesn't mean that the owner will be!:eek:

Oh yes of course Mike, yea yer absolutely right, that goes without saying :thumbs:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yes that is right a few match type lakes I have fished have that rule . But then if a match lake a lot come to the method feeder or simple ledger with mesh bag . Or waggler .

There 2 lakes that have got me thinking I would like to fish . You may know them Stuart .

Horcott near Fairford but not the carp lake the smaller 4 acre pit got some nice tench in there .

Also newlands angling club but i would stay clear of there specimen lakes . Others have got tench and some carp Upto 20lb

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Yes that is right a few match type lakes I have fished have that rule . But then if a match lake a lot come to the method feeder or simple ledger with mesh bag . Or waggler .

There 2 lakes that have got me thinking I would like to fish . You may know them Stuart .

Horcott near Fairford but not the carp lake the smaller 4 acre pit got some nice tench in there .

Also newlands angling club but i would stay clear of there specimen lakes . Others have got tench and some carp Upto 20lb

I've heard about both of the fisheries but haven't fished em,

Most waters I've fished over that way are mainly gonna be rivers IE upper Thames, Kennet, Cherwell, Windrush, Bristol Avon, Wilts Avon, Hants Avon, Test and Itchen etc :D

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ah I see , had impression you did a few lakes this way .

Horcott is a lovley fishery very quiet . Except planes from Fairford ;)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Ah I see , had impression you did a few lakes this way .

Horcott is a lovley fishery very quiet . Except planes from Fairford ;)

Have done the odd few Stillwaters over your way but am much more so interested in the rivers :D