Bollie question 2

iain t

Reaction score
Am sure ive read somewhere that if i put non floating Bollies in the oven for 20 minutes and bake them it will make them into pop up's. Did i dream this or did i read it. If so will they float as shop bought ones?.

thecrow

Reaction score
They can be microwaved and will be as hard as a brick, I have caught on them but I wouldn't recommend them, always soaked mine in something before use.

iain t

Reaction score
It just that i have so many that were given to me, am just thinking of ways to get through them. I've crushed loads up for PVA bags so far and another load for ground bait. I must have at lease 4 x 25k sack full of different makes and flavours.

thecrow

Reaction score
It just that i have so many that were given to me, am just thinking of ways to get through them. I've crushed loads up for PVA bags so far and another load for ground bait. I must have at lease 4 x 25k sack full of different makes and flavours.

Any kids fishing on a budget near you, they may be grateful for a few :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Am sure ive read somewhere that if i put non floating Bollies in the oven for 20 minutes and bake them it will make them into pop up's. Did i dream this or did i read it. If so will they float as shop bought ones?.

If I remember correctly (probably not Lol) back in the 80's to get floating boilees I think we used to add some sodium cassenate to the boilee mix before placing for a few minutes in an oven, but only for a short time else they would go too hard.

We also made floating boilee cake by just adding a few extra eggs until we had a really sloppy mix and then pour into a baking tray and cook for a nice robust floating cake which didn't come off the hook as easily as bread.

I'm not sure how they do it today though without all of the different ingredients Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score

Pop a few in an envelope and send them to me Ian, I will make use of them:)

laguna

Reaction score
Heat KILLS a good boilie - if they're **** to start with then I guess it doesn't matter!!! :D

and once you rehydrate them they sink! :eek:mg:

Cork dust (at 50%+ by volume added to the mix) or silica micro beads which are totally safe. :w

Nice day init?

Philip

Reaction score

In a word "no" they wont float like a shop brought one. You might get some to float a bit but I doubt it will ever be anything like a shop brought pop up.

I dont think however you dreamt it. In the past anglers used to create a "floater cake" which was basically like a bolie mix that you baked in the oven. Also as I think it was Keith mentioned another tip was to double the amount of eggs in a bolie mix and either bake it in the oven or microwave it to make it float but I dont think either method was really fullproof and debate raged up and down the country on how to keep your pop ups "popped up". Some swore by cork balls ...moulding their boile mix round one and then boiling for less time than a normal bolie (coz it was just a thin layer of paste rather than a whole bait so boiling time had to be reduced ). Others went the foam route and added some sort of floating aid to the bolie to get it to pop up.

Richworth where I think one of the first to bring out a specific floater mix (someone I am sure will correct me on that) which from memory you mixed 50/50 with your standard base mix and then boiled as normal ...that did work very well altough the baits tended to come out a lighter colour than the normal ones.

If I was in your situation and sitting on a load of mixed baits I would use them for prebait. Choose a couple of swims on a river and start chucking em in on a regular basis then fish it !:)

iain t

Reaction score
If I remember correctly (probably not Lol) back in the 80's to get floating boilees I think we used to add some sodium cassenate to the boilee mix before placing for a few minutes in an oven, but only for a short time else they would go too hard.

We also made floating boilee cake by just adding a few extra eggs until we had a really sloppy mix and then pour into a baking tray and cook for a nice robust floating cake which didn't come off the hook as easily as bread.

I'm not sure how they do it today though without all of the different ingredients Lol.

Keith

Keith i know how to make them. I use Cake on the rivers. I talking about a load i was given and trying to find out how to turn them into floaters

laguna

Reaction score
My microwaved ones never did Chris, stayed up for ages :)
Totally ruined then lol :D

For anyone else looking to make quality floating light baits, its worth considering how air and bubbles are introduced into food, more than what types of ingredients float. If you can manage to 'expand' a cake that floats it does so because of the voids and trapped gas pockets. However its worth noting that such voids are closed cell not open cell otherwise they will absorb liquid and sink at the first splash!

Get your magnifier glass out and look closely at a floating doggie biccy, see the matrix of voids and pockets?

greenie62

Reaction score
......Get your magnifier glass out and look closely at a floating doggie biccy, see the matrix of voids and pockets?

If I approached one of her biccies with a magnifying lens - she'd go for it thinking it was edible - I'm not risking it! :eek::D

thecrow

Reaction score
Totally ruined then lol

Of course they were :) but they were never more than semo/soya, they were like pebbles and never softened after immersion in either a cut essential oil or the lake, they caught me plenty of fish and I believe that was because they were just a pop up flavour carrier, they took lots on board during soaking.