Ripple arm

mikench

Reaction score
What exactly does it do that a simple butt rest doesn't ? Is it really for poles?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
are you on about a front ripple bar or a rear one ?

---------- Post added at 03:34 ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 ----------

i have used a rear one on a chair for a rear rod rest and can even use for 2 rods but personally i prefer a rest that grips the but . Front ripple bar mainly for pole fishing on a seatbox

associatedmatt

Reaction score
just a rear rest really all i see is that you can move the rear of the rod to angle it if feeder fishing etc .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
personally i use a rear rest that clamps the but and on a bankstick

rayner

Reaction score
Yet another tackle item I don't need, I just rest the butt of my rods across my knee. I've always done that. If I need to get up the rod is wound in.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Mike , i have found if using a tip rod less moment if there on rest on banksticks if on a chair as if attached to the chair the tip wobbles a bit when you move

rayner

Reaction score
Even when using a quiver or swing tip?

Everything.
Bomb, feeder, and float. I have had my time with swing tip, at the time it was new and very good but quiver tip fishing is a bit of a weakness for me. A front rest is obligatory, my thigh works well for a butt rest.
I have never lost a rod to a fish. I put that down to always being in control of my rods.
The use of rests cost both rods and fish and I consider them for lazy anglers. If I hold my rod whilst it's fishing then I'm able to react instantly.
This is not a blight on any angler who finds a use for especially a butt rest but they are not for me.

mikench

Reaction score
Mike , i have found if using a tip rod less moment if there on rest on banksticks if on a chair as if attached to the chair the tip wobbles a bit when you move

So have I Matt and I prefer bank sticks for that reason. Chair attachments are useful when you are on a hard peg and it isn't possible to use a bank stick.

rayner

Reaction score
I rarely sit still and inevitably my rod bounces being on my knee, bites are still easy to spot even whilst the movement on the tip caused by me. I can always spot the different movement of a bite.
Movement caused by me is generally up and down, movement off a bite is always forward or back if a drop back.

robtherake

Reaction score
Something I've always wondered, but never bothered to check out - is the business end of a ripple bar threaded for accessories, like rod rest heads, for example?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My ripple bar is permanently attached to my seatbox on one of the right hand side legs. I use it for multiple applications.

upload photocertificity.com

Like Rayner I rest my rod butt on my knee whilst fishing but once a fish is landed it makes a handy butt rest as above.

Mine has screw in heads on both uprights so I'll sometimes use one to attach my pole sock. On hard ground I often attach it to the back leg and screw in a topkit roost when a bankstick won't do.
Sometimes I simply hang my towel on it.....