Spigot refurbishment

iain t

Reaction score
Is there any way to refurbishment Spigot joint on a carbon rod. I've had the rod for many years and it's my got to rod. The joint between the two pieces are very close so i need to somehow build up the male spigot's thickness. Any ideas

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there any way to refurbishment Spigot joint on a carbon rod. I've had the rod for many years and it's my got to rod. The joint between the two pieces are very close so i need to somehow build up the male spigot's thickness. Any ideas

I've used a candle, just rubbed it up and down on the spigot leaving wax behind. I do this on new rods also just to stop wear in the first place. It does work well...or it has for me ;).

I know you can buy some purpose made spray called build up but i've never used it so can't comment on it.

nottskev

Reaction score
The carbon spray is one option. Spraying stuff onto a narrow surface, though, can mean 10% on the target and the rest on the newspaper underneath. This Preston Joint Save is a brush-on product so no waste, and it's been on the market and keeping pole and rod joints from wearing for decades. A few coats will build the spigot up, and you can check the fit between coats.

preston innovations joint save | eBay

iain t

Reaction score
Thanks, lads. The male spigot is not tapered. I've tried using candle wax but this just makes joints easier to pull apart. I think my next step it to try the Carbon spray. By just having a quick look around the web it seems a lot of people use it with good feedback. To be honest never knew this spray existed before.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I reckon varnish would be ok, easy to rub down if you overdo it a little.

iain t

Reaction score
On a website, they mention using super glue the rub down. Ordered a can of Carbon spray now. Cheapest i found was £8.99 inc post. If it works it will save me sending it to a rod builder

The bad one

Reaction score
Don't forget to clean the spigot off with a solvent to get rid of any wax that may be left on it before you put the joint build on.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have used the spray its ok does the job, you may need a few coats depending how bad it is. Once you get it done a little candle wax should prevent it happening again.
Its most likely a build up of grit what has caused the problem keep the joints clean in future.

Good luck with it :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4iQJAkLB0g

john step

Reaction score
I had the problem with my old Normark match. I remembered reading that a coat or two of paint would build up the male spigot.
I bought a bottle of black nail varnish which comes with a little brush inside.

Job done, worked a treat.

PS No I dont use the remaining nail varnish for its intended purpose:wh

iain t

Reaction score
Got the graphite spray this morning. It works, 3 fine coats and instead of the to parts touching at the joints i now have a 1 inch gap. Also used it on a Fibreglass rod that needed a bit of TLC and the results the same. Just going to let it dry properly overnight before a bit of candle wax goes on. In the 75ml spray can i have found it just has enough paint to build up 3 spigot joints. Maybe a little more as my can splattered now and then so had to wipe off 1 coat and start again.
Thank for telling me about this stuff and saving me the cost of a rod builder. OK, it will wear down again but a £8.99 that's fine.